ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Dinosaurs

I have a question.
    The kids here who believe in god.... How do you explain Dinosaurs?
    Points Awarded:

keyboarding gave ChileCheese 1000 SBR Point(s) for this post.

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

god put them here

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

They were probably vanquished during the flood.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

They are there to test their faith.

Here's what gets me about religion.

If Jesus or Moses would have made some predictions like the world being round or dinosaur bones they would have had a lot more followers. How is it that Jesus wasn't aware of this?
    Points Awarded:

test8560 gave LordVodka 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

ChileCheese

So far Ive heard back from rational and reasonable people. I am still waiting to hear from people, such as Paco for example who buy into the word of the Bible, Quran, Torah, etc....

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

What does one have to do with another?

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Dinosours kick ass

Mikail
    Fader of GOY'S
    Mikail's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know for a fact after doing research in that subject " dinosaurs"..... that yes indeed they were killed at the moment of flood. They could not fit in the ark therefore they drown, the only other animals that survived from prehistoric times are the whales sharks and so on water creatures that did not need to be on an ark to survive. Islam doesn't give any specific mention about dinosaurs. I'm not a zoologist nor geologist but I truly believe that they have existed and they were certainly created for reason and only Allah knows this reasons. Now, neither the age of earth (few billion years) nor the existance of dinosaurs contradict with islam. Allah gave us history of earth since Adam. Everything beyond that belongs exclusively to him. Refer to Hayatul-Haiwaan by Imam Demyaari It is a comprehensive animal encylopedia written by a Muslim scholar. Here are some ayats from the Q'uran which may be of some benefit to the question raised.

Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which God Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.
    (Quran, 2:164)

He created the heavens without any pillars that ye can see; He set on the earth mountains standing firm, lest it should shake with you; and He scattered through it beasts of all kinds. We send down rain from the sky, and produce on the earth every kind of noble creature, in pairs.
    (Quran, 31:10)

And Allah created the heavens and the Earth in 6 days:

Indeed your Lord is Allah, Who created the heavens and the earth in Six Days, and then He rose over the Throne. He brings the night as a cover over the day, seeking it rapidly, and (He created) the sun, the moon, the stars subjected to His Command. Surely, His is the Creation and Commandment. Blessed be Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists)!
    (Quran, 7:54)

The arabic word used for "days" here actually can mean "long periods", i.e. a long period of time. So Allah created the heavens and the Earth over 6 periods of time. There is no reason why dinosaurs could not have been created and put on the Earth at a time before Adam (AS).
    Points Awarded:

test8560 gave Mikail 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

You have to remember that the term "dinosaur" was not coined until 1841, so the Bible would not use that term.

Job 40:15-24 (King James Version)

15Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.

16Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.

17He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.

18His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.

19He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.

20Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.

21He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.

22The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.

23Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.

24He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

YouTube Richard Dawkins and hisctheoried regarding the problems with the fossil record.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

i dont have a problem with people believing in a god and worshiping him, neither should you

what you should have a problem with is people trying to shove their god down our throats, they are all around as, they are on this forum, and they are dangerous as they have the same mindset as a person who straps a bomb on to him and detonates it among innocent bystanders because they do not share the same religion as him
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 02-13-11 at 05:10 AM.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMushroom View Post
    i dont have a problem with people believing in a god and worshiping him, neither should you

what you should have a problem with is people trying to shove their god down our throughts, they are all around as, they are on this forum, and they are dangerous as they have the same mindset as a person who straps a bomb on to him and detonates it among innocent bystanders because they do not share the same religion as him
    Not totally true. I'll admit that I accept Jesus Christ as my personal savior, and believe we can only be saved through him, but I also believe that we have been given free will to make our own decisions, and choose our own path. Why I will agree to disagree with someone who doesn't hold my own beliefs, I'm not going to judge them because that is not my job to do that. We're all sinners in the eyes of the Lord. If someone chooses a different mindset, God, etc. then that is their choice. If God truly exists, then it is up to him to make the final call on that person's soul. If God doesn't exist, I was wrong.
    Last edited by Mr KLC; 02-13-11 at 04:49 AM.

ChileCheese

So when were the floods? Few thousand years ago?
    So Dinosaurs roamed the earth just a few years before humans?
    How come scientists are so confused and figure their fossils to be millions of years old?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ChileCheese View Post
    So when were the floods? Few thousand years ago?
    So Dinosaurs roamed the earth just a few years before humans?
    How come scientists are so confused and figure their fossils to be millions of years old?
    I can't speak for scientists. I believe that dinosaurs did roam with the humans, though. Nothing, whether it be animal or human, was allowed to die until the fall of Adam in the Bible. This makes me believe that they were around with humans before, and maybe even after the flood, if Noah put some of them on the ark.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Bible and quran thumpers are crazy!

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Bible and quran thumpers are crazy!
    Well, I'm the exact opposite. I don't think you're crazy because you don't believe in the Bible, Diggity. You're quite funny, actually.

pirate
    pirate's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    They are there to test their faith.

Here's what gets me about religion.

If Jesus or Moses would have made some predictions like the world being round or dinosaur bones they would have had a lot more followers. How is it that Jesus wasn't aware of this?

Isaiah 40:22 states "He sits enthroned above the CIRCLE of the earth" Also, Job 26:7 explains the earth is suspended in space and in Job 26:10 "He descibed a circle upon the face of the waters, until day and night come to an end."

I do believe the bible accurately descibed the world as round and not flat.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I can't speak for scientists. I believe that dinosaurs did roam with the humans, though. Nothing, whether it be animal or human, was allowed to die until the fall of Adam in the Bible. This makes me believe that they were around with humans before, and maybe even after the flood, if Noah put some of them on the ark.
    Fossil records and carbon dating show that dinosuars died out over 65 million years ago having been around for literally hundreds of millions of years.

The first evidence of human-like creatures only dates from around 600,000 years.

I don't dispute that this evidence could have been 'faked' by some supreme being but that would be the only argument that could support your belief.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    I know for a fact after doing research in that subject " dinosaurs"..... that yes indeed they were killed at the moment of flood. They could not fit in the ark therefore they drown, the only other animals that survived from prehistoric times are the whales sharks and so on water creatures that did not need to be on an ark to survive.

Yet the giraffes, elephants, etc... could fit!!! And miraculously they managed to keep the tigers away from the zebras, the lions away from the antelope, etc...! Beyond a joke, when are peopel going to realise that the bible is just FABLE!

pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post

Yet the giraffes, elephants, etc... could fit!!! And miraculously they managed to keep the tigers away from the zebras, the lions away from the antelope, etc...! Beyond a joke, when are peopel going to realise that the bible is just FABLE!

The bigger FABLE is that all this complex, designed life began from nothing and through quadzillions of mutations formed us, when we have never witnessed any kind of evolutionary advancement in such that mutations always lead to lesser life forms.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

I'm never going to brainwash my kids with religious nonsense. Then they can learn about the world as it truly exists. Without a shroud of fantasy. The REAL world is actually more fascinating than the tails told in religious books.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

lol

old question & lots of answers to it

pirate

Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    Fossil records and carbon dating show that dinosuars died out over 65 million years ago having been around for literally hundreds of millions of years.

The first evidence of human-like creatures only dates from around 600,000 years.

I don't dispute that this evidence could have been 'faked' by some supreme being but that would be the only argument that could support your belief.
    Carbon dating cannot go back further than 50,000 years. Fossils are dated by the rock they are in with the presumption that the rock began its existence at a 100% base material and that percentage changed over eons. The fault is that nobody knows if the volcano didn't spit out a rock formation in a split percentage. That is why we find newly formed rocks from volcanos which are erroneously dated at tens of millions of years old. Also, we have found dino fossil alongside human fossil...go figure

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Carbon dating cannot go back further than 50,000 years. Fossils are dated by the rock they are in with the presumption that the rock began its existence at a 100% base material and that percentage changed over eons. The fault is that nobody knows if the volcano didn't spit out a rock formation in a split percentage. That is why we find newly formed rocks from volcanos which are erroneously dated at tens of millions of years old. Also, we have found dino fossil alongside human fossil...go figure
    My apologies, I used the term "Carbon Dating" because it is more widely known and used than radiometrics.

I am happy to accept that mistakes are made in this field and that there are anomomlies. For every anomoly however there are tens of thousands of samples which amply prove that humans and dinosaurs could not have co-existed.

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Pirate wrong ape right!
    Pirate even your Limitation of carbon dating at 50,000 years blows away old and new testament's time frame of the earth being 6,000 years old.
    And to your point of human fossils alongside dinosaur fossils, only in museums my friend! The fossil record is quite clear and not disputed amongst the world scientists and paleontologists of all faiths.
    The area of disagreement is regarding evolution and the fossil record, never the existence or timefedme of dinosaurs correctly stated by four lengths.
    Have a great time and watch Religilous, with Bill Maher.
    Last edited by LegitBet; 02-14-11 at 04:46 PM.

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

There are some dinosaurs that post here!

The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

Why do you have to believe in one or the other? How come you can't believe in Dinos and God?

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

I'm not super religious, but here's an interesting take on this. God says he creates the plants, animals etc on whatever day that was, then creates humans on another day. You have no idea what god's definition of a day is, nobody does. I think it's ignorant to just assume that Gods definition of time is the same as ours.

ChileCheese

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post
    I'm not super religious, but here's an interesting take on this. God says he creates the plants, animals etc on whatever day that was, then creates humans on another day. You have no idea what god's definition of a day is, nobody does. I think it's ignorant to just assume that Gods definition of time is the same as ours.
    When people say stuff like this, its just a modern day cop out.
    Try speaking like this when the Bible was written, or for 1500 years after that, and people would have hung you.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Christian right-wing wannabe oil barons developed a time machine back in the 1950s and went back 4,000 years with some DNA material whipped up in their secret labs that are in the basement of every Baptist Church, created the dinosaurs then killed them all and divvied up the land and mineral rights. Only it didn't come off without a hitch because some cavemen Muslims took them by surprise and forced them to sign over all of the areas of what is now Saudi Arabia, Libya, etc. The whole deal was brokered by some cavemen of the Hebrew persuasion who were promised to eventually gain control of present-day Isreal in exchange for having any oil reserves. At least that's one theory.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Christian right-wing wannabe oil barons developed a time machine back in the 1950s and went back 4,000 years with some DNA material whipped up in their secret labs that are in the basement of every Baptist Church, created the dinosaurs then killed them all and divvied up the land and mineral rights. Only it didn't come off without a hitch because some cavemen Muslims took them by surprise and forced them to sign over all of the areas of what is now Saudi Arabia, Libya, etc. The whole deal was brokered by some cavemen of the Hebrew persuasion who were promised to eventually gain control of present-day Isreal in exchange for having any oil reserves. At least that's one theory.
    lol, it's just as plausible as their version.

Robber

Quote Originally Posted by The Inevitable View Post
    Why do you have to believe in one or the other? How come you can't believe in Dinos and God?
    you can .

The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    you can .
    Which might be the most rational thinking?

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Well do you have to believe in Man's very feeble limited attempt to explain and describe God to believe in God?

Absolutely not! Just because what you hear about God in the various religions and texts may sound like complete rubbish doesn't mean you have to believe in that or nothing

Robber

smitch you don't have to believe in anything

however someone can believe in god and dinosaurs

12 Last