elgreco
    elgreco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1612

Will answer Automotive Tech Questions for Points

Lets try this out. Since I'm not good at picking winners, I'd like to see if I can use my automotive expertise to get an iPad from the SBRstore. With the level of maturity here at SBR, I doubt this will work well, but it's worth a shot. I have limited experience with European cars, and I'm not a mechanic, so I probably won't be of any help regarding purely mechanical questions although you are more than welcome to ask. Anything regarding factory computer control systems, factory accessories, trouble lights, drivability concerns... I'm your man. If you think you may be getting screwed by your local mechanic or would like a deeper explanation than they are able to give, feel free to post. Be sure to include Year/make/model/engine size with your question.

Let's try and keep this thread serious, as I'm interested in seeing how this works out.
    Last edited by elgreco; 02-09-11 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

How do I replace my turn signal belts on my 1980 delorean?

elgreco

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    How do I replace my turn signal belts on my 1980 delorean?
    No need to replace the belts, your problem more than likely lies in the turn signal fluid. You can use the same halogen fluid you use for your high beams.

That'll be 20 points please.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

my muffler bearing is going out, i went to pep boys and picked up a can of elbow grease to grease it, anything else i should do ?

elgreco

Quote Originally Posted by elgreco View Post
    With the level of maturity here at SBR, I doubt this will work well, but it's worth a shot.
    My hypothesis is being confirmed... one post at a time.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

My hypothesis is being confirmed... one post at a time.

My snoot valve went ' up' and burnt up my flux capacitor, and its probably thanks to the new cammed out wammys I had installed with the foot print gas pedal.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

I hear there is good money in Catalytic converters...Please tell me how i go about getting one off a car, 25 points for a spot on explanation!

elgreco

Haha... that's not really my field, Brock.

You are right about catalytic converters being worth a good chunk of change. They are big business down here in Florida. Since most catalytic converters are actually welded into the exhaust, the easiest and most efficient way of removing a catalytic converter is to cut it off with a torch. Obviously, that won't help you if you're trying to jack them in the middle of the night from a parking lot. I'm sure the kids have perfected a different torch-less method to employ while laying underneath a car in a driveway at 3am, but I've never looked in to their ways. I may actually look into that at some point, if only because its interesting. I think I'd be most worried about the noise if I tried to use a saw.

I know it's a half-a s s answer, so don't worry about any points. I'll be sure to let you know when I learn how they do it.

GOIRISH

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I hear there is good money in Catalytic converters...Please tell me how i go about getting one off a car, 25 points for a spot on explanation!
    chain pipe cutter will do the job

elgreco

There you go

GOIRISH

and if your gonna do it, dont be a noob , wait until the motor cools down

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    sawzall gets it done in minutes//bring an extra blade or two

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

the platinum inside the converter is all that is used. The scrap people will beat the converter with a hammer to knock all of it loose. I have a few thousand here off motorcycles, not quite as big as cars, but with that many, it adds up pretty quick.

elgreco

Thats a lot of clay. Georgia?

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Thats a lot of clay. Georgia?
    about 20 miles west of auburn alabama. close enough. about 35 min from ga line.

GOIRISH

any good running cbrs?

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    any good running cbrs?
    most of these bikes are wrecked, but I do have alot with good motors.
    what year and model cbr??

http://cyclesalvageinc.com/index.html

elgreco

It's still a little early to tell... but this thread has all the markings of a failed social experiment. I wasn't planning on setting the world on fire or anything. But with a forum full of mostly young men, I figured there would have been a little more interest in getting professional answers for basically nothing. Are cars not cool anymore? Does everyone already have a trusted professional to help them with their problems? Is there just so much info out there already that everyones questions are answered? Maybe i'm rushing to judgement. Maybe the saloon is the wrong place for the thread. There are so many variables. The only thing this thread did so far was spur the creation of a few BS threads in the same style. At least one prediction was right... it didn't take long to get some bullshit questions .