poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Type and size of flash drive I should buy?

My files that get used or updated with some regularity appear to be no more than a few megs, individually (couple Word files, photos, FireFox bookmarks). I've e-mailed myself other files that I rarely use. In addition to the title questions, what types of files justify many gigs of flash drive memory? Are there possibly non-obvious files I'd want to save as well to move from an old computer to a new one? Thank you.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

They're so cheap nowadays, just get the largest one you can afford.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

Staples has a 4gb flash drive on sale for $8.

http://www.staples.com/SanDisk-Cruze...P2168:CL142211

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

You don't need more than a few gigbytes moving files from an old computer. If you fill it up moving files, put the files on the new PC, erase the flash drive and put more files on it to move.
    Music and Movies are the only real big files I can think of. Even with big files if your just using it to move files onto a new PC and the old one still works you don't need a huge flash drive. You fill it up with files, put them on new PC, erase flash drive, repeat.

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

the fleshlight will get u a harddrive i heard...

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

you can't burn to a CD or DVD? anyway, like LLXC says, they are cheap, just get the biggest one you can afford. the good thing is, you can make multiple "trips" with a flash drive. even if you get a small one, it will just take you more "trips" getting everything from one computer to another.

Actually, what you should do is spend about $100-$150 bucks and get an external USB harddrive (500 gigs or 1 terabyte), then you'll not only have something to transfer data from one computer to another, you'll have something for permanent backup storage.

urge2kill

I have 1.5tb external that you can connect to your modem and use wireless. Works with the PS3 too. Was only around $100 last summer.

Lazy-Man
    Lazy-Man's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1137

Doesn't really matter what brand. Just go with a big size

R6MC
    R6MC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24711

very appropriate post

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    I have 1.5tb external that you can connect to your modem and use wireless. Works with the PS3 too. Was only around $100 last summer.
    Nice, i'm thinking of buying a external hard drive.... nice to know they are so cheap for that size.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by urge2kill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    Nice, i'm thinking of buying a external hard drive.... nice to know they are so cheap for that size.
    Just a heads up RonPaul, externals dont work for xbox 360s unless it is a wireless external. This probably means nothing to you but I figured I would mention it

urge2kill

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    Just a heads up RonPaul, externals dont work for xbox 360s unless it is a wireless external. This probably means nothing to you but I figured I would mention it
    I don't think that's true anymore. You should be able to format it in FAT32 and connect it through the USB. I had to do that to connect to my PS3. FAT32 only supports up to 4gb file sizes though.

urge2kill

Also, you can partition your drive so you can have both FAT32 and NTSF. That's what I did so I can have my low def movies and music for the PS3 on the FAT32 partition and my HD movies and other stuff on the NTSF partition.

DeenerThaLeener
    DeenerThaLeener's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

I don't think the ps3 recognizes NTSF...

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by JimmysEgo View Post
    you can't burn to a CD or DVD?
    What would I want to burn to them?

Actually, what you should do is spend about $100-$150 bucks and get an external USB harddrive (500 gigs or 1 terabyte), then you'll not only have something to transfer data from one computer to another, you'll have something for permanent backup storage.
    I don't think I'll be buying an expensive enough computer to justify that expense (if the HD goes, I'm likely better off buying a newer generation replacement), but I'm guessing your tip will help someone else reading.

poochiecollins

I was in a store, a Rite Aid I think, and found that their flash drives were strangely expensive, such as 12 GBs for $30 -- anyone know what was probably up with that? After some earlier Googling, I found mention of a couple different types of flash drives (at least two) where one was a little more expensive than the other; anyone know about flash drive types?

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

depending on what you do with the brand of flash drive is pretty irrelevant, only if you will traveling alot may you want to invest in a more sturdy one,but for transferring files at home any will do.

as far as size, get whatever you want, for the sizes you are looking for you will not be able to find one that small, even a 2gb is dirt cheap, so just spend what ever you want. you can even go to an external hard drive which arent even too expensivem ( I got a 500gb WD for abuot $60)

as far as needing a larger drive, I have abut 7gb of music on my computer some of which was dowloaded and would be hard to get back. some people have much much larger music collections and even if you own every CD putting them back is a pita, add in the need for video files (whatever kind) and you can fill up many, many gbs.