matelionis
    matelionis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Best Way to Give a Kickback?

Ok SBR, I am a sales guy that works on commission in a highly competitive industry. Most of my contracts are for 1-2 years. I am thinking of starting offering kickbacks to new customers to "help" make their decisions easier. Basically if I give a bid on a job I am going to say to the guy/gal, "by the way, if you choose to use our company I am willing to give you an envelope with 5k in cash right now".

1) Would you be offended if you were the decision maker?
    2) What would be the best way to phrase the offer?

Thanks boys.

M-

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

If you were selling something that many other people were, like insurance...I'd be ecstatic if there was a "signing bonus" if you will...

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm guessing that since you'd be willing to give 5K worth of your own cash, that those contracts must be for a pretty penny.

What do you make as your commission for every contract?

But to answer your question. No, why would anyone be offended? If you're in a competitive industry most prices are going to be somewhat close, and that 5K cash, would sell me.

Just in smaller prices, if I call one insurance company and they tell me 1K annual for car insurance, and then I call another and they say 1100 annually, but will give me 250 cash upfront for a 2 year deal, then I'd go through them, because even though the one I took is obviously more expensive, I'd be getting that small kickback which makes it just a tad cheaper. And you best believe I'd be leaving them after that 2 years, unless another kickback came to stay with them.
    Last edited by ngates815; 01-20-11 at 06:06 PM.

matelionis

15-20k

matelionis

so you wouldn't be offended? maybe if I phrased it like "I can give you the first month free or ... 5k in cash".

encephalization
    encephalization's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 182

I think you are risking to offend some people. But if you are a sales man you should have a good feeling about people and be able to judge whether or not they'd be up for such an offer. I mean, you can probably spot some of the ones who say no.

Be selective. And good luck.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Only on SBR

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm sure the customers have done there research on whatever it is that you're selling, and they would know if that 5K would give them a better price, than the competiting companies.

So yes, if I were you and it wasn't illegal by any means, I'd offer that. Even though it'd knock you down 5K, you wouldn't even have that money unless they bought what you were selling.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by matelionis View Post
    Ok SBR, I am a sales guy that works on commission in a highly competitive industry. Most of my contracts are for 1-2 years. I am thinking of starting offering kickbacks to new customers to "help" make their decisions easier. Basically if I give a bid on a job I am going to say to the guy/gal, "by the way, if you choose to use our company I am willing to give you an envelope with 5k in cash right now".

1) Would you be offended if you were the decision maker?
    2) What would be the best way to phrase the offer?

Thanks boys.

M-
    You'll get fired before long because not everyone is on the take. Remember you're asking a bunch of degenerate gamblers that would throw their own mothers under a train for a buck. Would you actually take the advice of some of these people?

matelionis

I didn't think it was a big deal either until this weekend. I was at a convention and 2 guys from direct tv were there trying to sign up new customers. Here's how the convo went

Direct TV Guy: sir, do you have direct tv?
    Old Man: yes, i do.
    Direct TV Guy: awesome, I can get you out of your current contract and set up a new contract in your wife's name that will give you all the channels and save you $75 per month. How's that sound?
    Old Man: i can't do that, that would be like cheating direct tv.

I was standing next to this guy and almost spit out my drink. Are you fvcking kidding me? Cheating direct tv? Really, sir?

matelionis

I won't get fired, I asked my boss if he cared and he said, "hey, it's your money, if you want to give it to them, it's up to you."

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Matel watch my video

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by matelionis View Post
    I won't get fired, I asked my boss if he cared and he said, "hey, it's your money, if you want to give it to them, it's up to you."

Sounds like a real ethical company your work for...just remember...the definition of integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. If you haven't learned from the corporate dudes going to prison on shady deals from WorldCom to Enron...then by all means have at it, but don't cry when the cuffs go on

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

Cash is very acceptable to me.