Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

E=mc2 - an Italian discovery 1904

E=mc2 = De Pretto Not Einstein

by Anthony Parente
    The equation E=mc2, which has been forever linked to Einstein & his Theory of Relativity was not originally published by Einstein. According to Umberto Bartocci, a professor at the University of Perugia and a historian of mathematics, this famous equation was first published by Olinto De Pretto, who was an unknown industrialist from Vicenza, two years prior to Einstein's publishing of the equation. In 1903 De Pretto published his equation in the scientific magazine Atte and in 1904 it was republished by the Royal Science Institute of Veneto. Einstein's research was not published until 1905.
    Bartocci's article doesn't take away entirely from what Einstein is credited for. Yes, De Pretto was the first to introduce the formula, but it was Einstein who connected it with the Theory of Relativity. People were trying to understand Einstein's theory that they seemed to forget who really jump started the whole process. As the 20th century came to a close, Einstein was given the honor of Science's Man of the Century. Could this have been possible without De Pretto?
    No one will ever know if Einstein passed De Pretto's equation off as his own, but evidence does suggest he may have done just that. Einstein was well versed in Italian and even lived in Northern Italy for a brief time. He was very familiar with the work of many Italian scientists, enjoyed studying their beliefs and theories and he most likely was familiar with both of the magazines that published De Pretto's equation. With all that said, you can make your own conclusions, theories and hypotheses as to who really is the man that conjured the formula E=mc2. I myself was unaware of De Pretto being the one who first published this formula. It was brought to my attention from a post on the Italian Culture forum. You just can never tell what you might learn when you visit the forum. I look forward to seeing you there.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Interesting. I always thought Leonardo Da Vinci invented the airplane.

Snowball

Olinto De Pretto (1857–1921) was an Italian industrialist, physicist and geologist from Schio, Vicenza. He is credited with being the first person to derive the precise formula E=mc2 and is also the first to conclude that radioactive decay of uranium and thorium was an example of energy transformation from mass into energy.

Yi
    Yi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Interesting!!!

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Smart guy.

Snowball

Read Online
    The Manufacture and Sale of Saint Einstein
    by Christopher Jon Bjerknes

2,825 page treatise on
    Einstein's plagiarism

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

We should care why?

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

i like trivia of this sort. thx for posting

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Read Online
    The Manufacture and Sale of Saint Einstein
    by Christopher Jon Bjerknes

2,825 page treatise on
    Einstein's plagiarism

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

E=**^2 can be derived using high school algebra from special relativity. Special relativity is pretty easily derived once you assume that the speed of light is constant. That C is constant can be taken from Maxwell's equation. There are obviously predecessors to Maxwell's work too.

All science stands on the shoulders of the giants that have come before.

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I saw something on the learning channel and they said that some of Einstein's top theories were proven to be wrong, but he led people in the right direction. He had an amazing imagination.

Maybe some Haitian came up with E = MC2 first but lost the theory in his mud hut?

xkgb
    IN THREAD
    xkgb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23

now that u done....get urself a cookie