jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Iphone Help

I currently have the 3G( not up for an upgrade yet). Anyways, i updated my phone to the 4.0 software a while back and ever since my phone has been very sluggish, wont respond and will crash.

Does anyone know how to fix this? If not, any sites where i can get a used 3GS for cheap

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4972

Never did it but good luck.

Restore iPhone 3G to 3.x no shsh blobs FULL TUTORIAL

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=46799

jnickell100

House, I actually tried to restore it back to the 3.0 software a while back and it bricked so i dont wanna try that again. thanks though

Housemoney

Did you try upgading to 4.1 to see if it works better? My Sister is running it on hers without many issues. You really need to free up as much RAM as you can on the 3G.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by Housemoney View Post
    Did you try upgading to 4.1 to see if it works better? My Sister is running it on hers without many issues. You really need to free up as much RAM as you can on the 3G.
    Im actually gonna try that right now. How so to free up memory? I went through some old contacts and deleted them the other day. I also deleted some apps that i no longer use. Anything else?

Housemoney

I assume your phone is jailbroken? Go you have SB Settings installed? If not, do so it is free in Cydia. It allows you to toggle common functions. I keep WIFI off unless I am using it. Under "processes" toggle it will give you an option to free memory. You can see how much RAM you have availble here. Anything below 20 and the 3G will run horrible.

A hard reset is always a good idea too. Press and hold the home button and power button at the same time. Wait until you see the apple logo to release them. It can take the 3g up to 10 min to reset.

See how much RAM you are using before you do anything else.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    House, I actually tried to restore it back to the 3.0 software a while back and it bricked so i dont wanna try that again. thanks though
    This all depends on what firmware and baseband you are running.

The 3G is the most annoying fukking iPhone to jailbreak. Post your current firmware and baseband (also known as modem in Settings).

You need to download the appropriate downgrade firmware and then jailbreaking again is easy. I did this the other week for a friend so it's still fresh in my mind.

Don't bother trying to free up memory and turning off features, 4G firmware has been proven to give 3G users serious issues and a downgrade is the only solution.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Def software issue. I was so frustrated with it I just bought the 4. Brand new 3G in my closet.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Def software issue. I was so frustrated with it I just bought the 4. Brand new 3G in my closet.
    Sell it before the price drops huge when Verizon comes out with the iPhone 4.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ya Deuce id try and sell it. I was looking on CL and you could get at least $200 for it.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by keyboarding View Post
    This all depends on what firmware and baseband you are running. The 3G is the most annoying fukking iPhone to jailbreak. Post your current firmware and baseband (also known as modem in Settings). You need to download the appropriate downgrade firmware and then jailbreaking again is easy. I did this the other week for a friend so it's still fresh in my mind. Don't bother trying to free up memory and turning off features, 4G firmware has been proven to give 3G users serious issues and a downgrade is the only solution.
    I have just updated to 4.2.1 right now. Ive been messing with it for a couple of minutes and it seems much faster but we'll see with time. Im looking to jailbreak it right now as well since i updated my phone the previous jailbreak was erased.

jnickell100

Does anyone know an easy jailbreak for 4.2.1 on 3G?? Found some but i already updated my phone to 4.2.1 and most say that you should wait and update through the jailbreak

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    Does anyone know an easy jailbreak for 4.2.1 on 3G?? Found some but i already updated my phone to 4.2.1 and most say that you should wait and update through the jailbreak
    Too bad, I was hoping you didn't update to the latest firmware. There is no current jailbreak available for the 3G running that firmware. The 2G is no longer even being addressed and the 3G is starting to get there, too. They are dinosaurs.

jnickell100

Ya i know they are Key. Im just gonna ride this phone out. I got a new job and will be getting a company phone so i dont wanna waste my money on another phone.

jnickell100

Ok, i couple days since ive updated to 4.2.1 and jailbroke it and my phone in fact DOES run much smoother. I read the update should help with the lag and im happy that it actually did

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

I had a 3G and had the same problem
    Did a google search and one thing I found that helped was to turn off spotlight search in the general settings. That made the phone much faster

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by patswin View Post
    I had a 3G and had the same problem Did a google search and one thing I found that helped was to turn off spotlight search in the general settings. That made the phone much faster
    I should have stated that i did this. My phone was lagging so much that i would text and it would be a few words behind. So i searched and that popped up.

So i turned the spotlight totally off and upgraded to 4.2.1. Either way, one of them worked