Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

USPS is getting far worse, agree or not ?

I had something ( very important, large check) mailed to me on Friday from Mass, to Ct ( 118 miles away). Still not here on Wednesday. I know Mon was a Holiday, but mail is supposed to move within the system on Sundays and Holidays.....it did when I worked for that God- damned outfit.

I mailed out to mass last monday ( certified) it took until Thurs. to get there, really should have made it there by Tues.

Then they are removing outgoing mailboxes, closing down windows earlier, etc. Moral has to be awful. My carrier-bitch puts mail anywhere.

It's almost like you have to certify mail now, so you can track it.

**** the USPS, and other gov't agencies too, like IRS, DMV,PD, DEA,FCC,etc.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Been getting the same service as usual, no better, no worse.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Yes, government agencies are shit. FedEx and UPS are doing well.

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME
    lemart5's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree Doug they are making the good mail employees retire and putting temp dumb assess on the street.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

That's why I first quit playing at Bodog...Since they switched from sending there checks from UPS to USPS, they seemed to take longer, and I hate that the tracking system never seems to be correct.

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

USPS are ridiculously bad. I have an ebay store and I now have to buy purchase tracking for everything I sell because of how unreliable they are. For example, check out the route this package took to get to its destination.

Delivered, 2011-01-18, 11:18:00, SAN JOSE, CA, 95131
    Arrival at Post Office, 2011-01-18, 07:39:00, SAN JOSE, CA, 95134
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-01-15, 10:30:00, RICHMOND, CA, 94804
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-01-12, 08:22:00, DES MOINES, IA, 50395
    Processed through Sort Facility, 2011-01-10, 22:56:00, SAINT PAUL, MN, 55121
    Acceptance, 2011-01-05, 16:03:00, IRVINE, CA, 92623

It took two weeks instead of a couple of days to get there which resulted in me getting negative feedback from the buyer which will no doubt hurt my business.

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME

USPS tracking system neve has any information about the package until its at your door.It really makes me appreciate services like UPS and Fedex.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by lemart5 View Post
    I agree Doug they are making the good mail employees retire and putting temp dumb assess on the street.
    Are you an employee of the USPS ?

Doug

I mailed a parcel to Maine, a few weeks ago , it got there the next day ( UPS). Now a letter going 118 miles takes from Friday to Thursday ( if it even comes tomorrow) ?

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

it might be their over the road carriers messing up their system. That's what happens you go with the lowest bidder.

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME

Doug for a short time I was a distibution employee.They at pushin early retirement to alot of employees because of the buget shotfalls.In order to keep costs low supposedly they push retirement to higher salary employees and fill the postitons with temp labor.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by lemart5 View Post
    Doug for a short time I was a distibution employee.They at pushin early retirement to alot of employees because of the buget shotfalls.In order to keep costs low supposedly they push retirement to higher salary employees and fill the postitons with temp labor.
    I was a mailhandler for 5+ years. They can't have that many temp ( casual) employees per the various union contracts, they are required to have a certain percentage of career employees....a certain number of regulars and PTF's and a limited number of casuals. I'm sure the PTF's must be getting low hours now ( 15 ?), it was like 50 when I was a PTF, but only guaranteed 15 or so. They could guarantee PTF turnover with a lack of hours so these guys start at $12/ hr and quit before they make $20/ hr ( or F/T regular) 5 years later. The casuals never get above about $12 hour....unless they pass the tests and work their way up....rare ! They are gone in 6 months.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
    it might be their over the road carriers messing up their system. That's what happens you go with the lowest bidder.
    Not really ! The USPS sets the rates these drivers get ( even though they are not USPS employees). They get like $20/ hour to drive those " US Mail contractor" trucks. Not a very hard job, very routine driving to the same places every night/ day....but you get weird/ split shifts like maybe work 1 am- 7 am and 2pm-5pm....that blows pretty hard !

You can fire a trucker ( very easily) that ***** up, hard to fire a career USPS employee, very hard !

lemart5
    FOOTBALL TIME

When I was there the casuals were gon in about 3 months it's gotten worse with the shaving OT.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    USPS are ridiculously bad. I have an ebay store and I now have to buy purchase tracking for everything I sell because of how unreliable they are. For example, check out the route this package took to get to its destination.

It took two weeks instead of a couple of days to get there which resulted in me getting negative feedback from the buyer which will no doubt hurt my business.

USPS does route things in ways that make little sense to a layman , ( like airlines), but not as bad as Irvine to Iowa to San Jose....obvious screw-up ! Irvine to Minn is clearly wrong, but the return route seems fine.

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

Doug did you ever sell your condo?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by patswin View Post
    Doug did you ever sell your condo?
    No not yet, wanna buy it ?

I changed realters about a week before T-day, got only 1-2 showings and nothing in Dec. or Jan. I didn't expect much over the holidays, but welcome action now. They hit me with some special assessment due in March for about $350 , want to sell before that hits, if possible.....they don't even really say what it is for. **** condos too !

gofer5
    gofer5's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have ordered products on the internet, and had them shipped priority mail. Always got the product in 2-3 days. Two weeks ago I placed an order on the internet, and the only option was UPS, so I went with 2Day air for $13. I didn't get the order till 6 days later (granted 2 were weekend days). I am very happy with the USPS.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

usps sucks, i wish those clowns would go on stike again and then we could have fedex or ups deliver the mail. it takes like a month to get anything from usps

Keelo
    Keelo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 471

Not sure if mail moves through the system on Sundays and Holidays anymore. Probably had to lay people off and cut expenses.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Keelo View Post
    Not sure if mail moves through the system on Sundays and Holidays anymore. Probably had to lay people off and cut expenses.

It should still be moving on Sundays and Holidays unless radical changes have been made since 2003. Even if not, Mail a letter in Ma to Ct on Fri ( 118 miles away by road) and not there by Wed. ? The standard ( when I was there) was anywhere within CT should get there ( 99%) the next day, 2 days reasonable to Mass, NY, RI, etc., and like 3 days to the West coast.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by GOIRISH View Post
    usps sucks, i wish those clowns would go on stike again and then we could have fedex or ups deliver the mail. it takes like a month to get anything from usps
    I wasn't aware of the strike in 1970....

http://blog.uspsoig.gov/?tag=postal-strike

There was a no strike clause in the union contracts when I worked there....I guess that means you could fired if you strike ?

thisisit
    thisisit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

They move more mail than almost all the other post offices combined for 44 cents if im not mistaken, and they don't have the same tracking as ups and fedex because they don't cost as much if im wrong here please correct me. Here is the thing if you need to make sure its there register it most secure method ever!They sent the hope diamond through registered mail for God's sake so have your tracking all you want, but the usps is still good for most stuff unless your an ahole

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

USPS is garbage nowadays. I'd rather spend the extra money and ship UPS. I keep a PO Box at my local post office, which is one of the busiest in the state and it's amazing some of those lines during midday. I'll continue going into a UPS Store and taking care of my shipping. One advantage that USPS has are the Priority Mail one-fee boxes. The materials are free and you know exactly the cost, no guessing with weight.

thisisit

Dude they have nop waiting there cause no one goes there you do get that right? Do you remember the place ups used to own before the ups store. they rented out po boxes there. so they collected your mail and put it in a different pobox at their store classic shit

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

I have been pleased with usps since Obama took over. GM is better too.

thisisit

What everyone here has to remember is that the usps has a huge role that most of us will never understand, think about it if they closed tomorrow how will all of the courts in this country work? They send out notices from the usps every day for jury duty summons, and court cases were certified mail is a matter of life or death, do you really think ups could handle that all over the country I think not, and they have said for the record they don't want to do that. usps is assholes galore. but they serve a purpose

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Its changed as of late, but for years if I was to mail a letter to a friend 4 houses down the street it used to have to go 80 miles west then come back 80 miles east to get 4 houses down from me.Why I have no idea.

later

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post

I wouldn't of believed you if you gave me any reason to doubt you. That is ******* crazy. Although, I sold an Itouch recently on ebay and shipped it using the small flat rate box and got there in I think 3 days which it guaranteed.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post
    Its changed as of late, but for years if I was to mail a letter to a friend 4 houses down the street it used to have to go 80 miles west then come back 80 miles east to get 4 houses down from me.Why I have no idea.

later
    Old school was in-town mail might get sorted by clerks at the local small town PO, and maybe get out the same day. In town and out of town slots at the PO mean nothing ( now)....it all goes to the plant.

The stuff is most efficiently processed through the plants where it gets barcoded and actually sorted into trays by carrier route #....supposedly in the order that a carrier delivers his route ( I'm sure they modify that themselves to correct errors, otherwise they'd be going in circles !, even if it is against policy)....there comes a point at the USPS that rules become so ridiculous that you have to break them.....or go POSTAL !

The local letter going 80 miles away and back is very efficient in reality....given the volume of mail....USPS can't sort that SHIT out at the local level. That isn't the issue !
    How are they supposed to sort the stuff that is local to Butt Crack, Tn.....before sending it to Memphis ? You want some $23/ hr clerk in Butt Crack looking for local mail when it will come back from Memphis all DBCS sorted the next morning anyway ?

It helps to know how this stuff works from within the USPS ( as a former employee). What may make little sense to an outsider works well. The local letter going 80 miles away makes great sense. The parcel from LA to Northern Calif winding up in the Midwest is what we call " misdirected mail" !....actual postal term !

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

The USPS is losing money hand over fist.First class mail volume is down and its not coming back.Why buy a stamp when you could send an E-MAIL?.....To cut costs USPS will eventually go to a 5 day mail delivery.....Looks like Saturdays delivery will be cut entirely.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist pig View Post

later
    I guarantee that hasn't changed " as of late" I'll bet my life on it ! The local and out of town slots at the local PO mean nothing, maybe 40 years ago when they delivered mail twice a day ?

I worked at a PO in CT, before going to a plant. There was of course a mailbox in front of the PO. Some guy ( a mailhandler) had the responsibility of emptying the big blue mailbox right in front of this historic 100 year + old PO. This guy was named Billy , a Vietnam army veteran, and 20 year+ Army veteran. The guy never missed a day of work, he always emptied that box in front of the building and got that "raw" letter mail onto the 10 am truck to the Hartford plant.

Eventually Billy takes a 2- week vacation to Hawaii.... nobody ever thinks about that mailbox right in front of the building.....that's Billy's job !

After about a week + people can no longer get anymore mail in the box ( it's too full ! ) So the postmaster is notified ! I've got better stories than that too !....all true !

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dogs View Post
    The USPS is losing money hand over fist.First class mail volume is down and its not coming back.Why buy a stamp when you could send an E-MAIL?.....To cut costs USPS will eventually go to a 5 day mail delivery.....Looks like Saturdays delivery will be cut entirely.
    They process the third class junk way too cheaply, too ! They claim that is where the money is.... I never bought that line of crap....and 3C is really cheap, way too cheap !

Doug

that's Billy's job !

THAT IS THE USPS PHILOSOPHY !

THAT'S NOT MY JOB !

THAT'S NOT MY JOB !

THAT"S NOT MY JOB !

THAT's the ******* USPS ! If you get tired of a full trash can next to your work station....and God forbid empty into a dumpster....the Custodian's union will file a grievance and try to get every janitor 8 hours' of OT because of it.....sometimes getting it !

Joe Dogs
    Joe Dogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 593

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    They process the third class junk way too cheaply, too ! They claim that is where the money is.... I never bought that line of crap....and 3C is really cheap, way too cheap !

I agree the post office gives the third class away.....The first class pays the freight.

Also the USPS is to top heavy.....To many supervisors for supervisors doing jack.

123 Last