forsberg21
    forsberg21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2601

Sadly, this is probably the ONLY thing that Americans know about Canadians.

forsberg21

Enjoy

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post
    The little fa\*\*ot's got his own jet airplane, the little fa\*\*ot is a millionaire!!!
    That's the irony. Knopfler is mimicking the words of someone being close-minded by making unfair criticisms of rock musicians by calling them that name. It's not like the song is denigrating gays.

Reno Paul
    Reno Paul's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2763

A stupid ruling by Canada.....Geez

Poker_Beast
    Poker_Beast's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17891

Unreal!

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post

Closed-minded describes those who don't believe in freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech doesn't have a lot to do with this. Trotting out "freedom of speech" won't do shite.

America- land of the free but totally restricted.

Keep living in that delusion.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumLeap View Post
    That's the irony. Knopfler is mimicking the words of someone being close-minded by making unfair criticisms of rock musicians by calling them that name. It's not like the song is denigrating gays.
    this!

But it wouldn't matter to me if it was. As I have said many times, "call me anything you want, just pay me and don't put your hands on me unless I say it's ok!!"

30K Millionaire
    Fade Yourself
    30K Millionaire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 592

Those canadians are a bunch of fa-gg-ots

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by 30K Millionaire View Post
    Those canadians are a bunch of fa-gg-ots
    I will fuk your mother. If you ever talk bad about canada I will find you and the life out of you.

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

That song is in the new Guitar Hero game my kid got for Xmas. He's been going around singing that line for weeks, hadn't figured out how/if I was gonna explain the situation. Thank you 6pm news for clearing that up for me.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
    Sadly, this is probably the ONLY thing that Americans know about Canadians.

sadly the only thing you think you know about Americans is what you Think you know.

they probably asked hundreds of people these questions then just edited it to show the retards. there were maybe two questions to which i would have only had a partial answer and im as American as they come.

you guys are the dumb ones banning entire songs because of single words. bleep it out.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    ....the little fa\*\*ot is a millionaire! Its just banter, no hatred towards fags.

I agree. The way they use it in the song, I never thought of it as gay bashing, more like he's a spoiled lil rich punk.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Alfie B
    Alfie B's Avatar Become A Pro!

It does seem silly, but I am in Canada and won't miss the song. Never liked it 25 years ago, never liked anything Dire Straights did. We are not losing anything.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

If Canada bans that,,, do they play any hard rap or is singing about offing cops all good????

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

How do you even ban a song? Not allow it on the radio? lmfao Just download it and play the hell out of it until the mounties show up!!!

Alfie B
    Alfie B's Avatar Become A Pro!

If Canada bans that,,, do they play any hard rap or is singing about offing cops all good????
    Unfortunately not banned yet.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

My god Canada. What are you going to ban next? I mean for come on now. Next you thing you know the country will be shutting down because some singer showed a star covered nipple on national television. There will be excessive media coverage, concerned citizens groups and bible thumping hoo has spouting garbage interrupting otherwise clear minded, unbiased and rational news coverage.

benjy
    Untitled
    benjy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    My god Canada. What are you going to ban next? I mean for come on now. Next you thing you know the country will be shutting down because some singer showed a star covered nipple on national television. There will be excessive media coverage, concerned citizens groups and bible thumping hoo has spouting garbage interrupting otherwise clear minded, unbiased and rational news coverage.
    LOL!

Nice.

RogueScholar
    Chairman Of The Board
    RogueScholar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

....the little fa\*\*ot is a millionaire! Its just banter, no hatred towards fags.

I agree you can't compare the two words. They are both bad but its like saying WWII was the same as the Battle for the Falklands.
    How can you evaluate the damage of these terms when you don't belong to either class that is aggrieved by them? I could see you rendering a useful opinion if the term in question were "dust-farter" or "walking dementia" but in a matter like this the classy choice is to show respect to all people who are being demeaned solely on the basis of an immutable quality like race or sexual preference. I wish you could find it within yourself to behave that way.

SoV
    "Why always me"
    SoV's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueScholar View Post
    How can you evaluate the damage of these terms when you don't belong to either class that is aggrieved by them? I could see you rendering a useful opinion if the term in question were "dust-farter" or "walking dementia" but in a matter like this the classy choice is to show respect to all people who are being demeaned solely on the basis of an immutable quality like race or sexual preference. I wish you could find it within yourself to behave that way.
    Is right.

Unless you are the party which is being derogated, you don't know the impact a certain word can have.

White people can still go around saying the n-word, but why don't they do so?

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Did they ban south park over this:

or this:

Well if you were smart you'd understand South Park is a left wing satirical show. Obviously you don't get it.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Elton John, an openly gay artist, loved the song and had no problem with the lyrics, and performed the song live with Dire Straits in 1986,during the Prince's Trust Concert, at the Wembley Arena in London.

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Was the song intending to be homophobic or not? Context is important here, Greenday's "American Idiot" song has the word fa\*\*ot in it but that's used in a satirical way to show the ignorance, homophobia and stupidity of American culture.

Context is very important otherwise half the songs in the world should be banned under this Canadian rule.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Great Music

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 857

Great song....that is sad.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Usually you Yanks have the strict control over any TV. Just look at the Sopranos on A and E what a travesty.

Our TV stations are way more lenient up north about swearing and sex on TV so this comes as a shock to me.

I'm sure the Brits were just talking about smoking anyways. I guess a queer got into a political position of power up here. Fcuk that fa\*\*ot I say proudly as a Canadian

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8480

they have another version they played many times where they substitute the word F@#@^% for mother. Like in mother fukker. I have heard that version for over a decade.

forsberg21

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    Your brain has soaked too much Fox News over the years, it shows. I love how you take one miniscule thing and apply it to another completely unrelated matter.

If you really want to talk about politics and how ****** up the US is, what about UIGEA? I'd rather have one song banned on the radio than not be able to place a wager using MY OWN money over the internet. Land of the free? My ass.

raggman
    raggman's Avatar Become A Pro!

guess it took canada 30 years to figure out the words

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3691

Quote Originally Posted by raggman View Post
    guess it took canada 30 years to figure out the words
    Gold! Either that or the song is considered fairly new there.

On a lighter note, lets assume Dire Straits were being literal with their lyrics. What musician best fits their description? This is my vote:

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Your brain has soaked too much Fox News over the years, it shows. I love how you take one miniscule thing and apply it to another completely unrelated matter.

If you really want to talk about politics and how ****** up the US is, what about UIGEA? I'd rather have one song banned on the radio than not be able to place a wager using MY OWN money over the internet. Land of the free? My ass.
    As much as I agree with you, I think you missed the irony in mrmarket's post.

thisisit
    thisisit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

listen to it on the radio, they just delete the whole line from the song, so much for artistic integrity,you would think all the first amendment rockers would be all over this, but since it is about gays NO WAY

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Reread my post and ask yourself why I wrote it the way I did.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

(See the little fa\*\*ot with the earring and the makeup Yeah buddy that's his own hair That little fa\*\*ot got his own jet airplane That little fa\*\*ot he's a millionaire)

Such a great song

First 123 Last