ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

I'm just pissed that shari doesn't approve.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I'm just pissed that shari doesn't approve.

I neither approve nor disapprove. I don't think it's something I'd ever do but I guess that's easy for me to say because I never went over my miles when I leased. I just paid attention to my mileage and was smart about it.

The possibility of being charged would probably be enough to frighten me off, let alone the morality of it all, but if these Russians are really with it and you feel confident your GF won't get busted, then I guess financially it's a wise choice for you.

Just don't ever buy a used car in the future. Karma has a funny way of leveling the score. Best of luck!

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I love how some people are willing to go to jail over a couple grand. If your freedom is worth less to you than the cost of this mileage overage penalty, then the car is the least of your concerns.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post

I neither approve nor disapprove. I don't think it's something I'd ever do but I guess that's easy for me to say because I never went over my miles when I leased. I just paid attention to my mileage and was smart about it.

The possibility of being charged would probably be enough to frighten me off, let alone the morality of it all, but if these Russians are really with it and you feel confident your GF won't get busted, then I guess financially it's a wise choice for you.

Just don't ever buy a used car in the future. Karma has a funny way of leveling the score. Best of luck!
    Yea Shari. I had no idea this sh-t goes on before I met the girl. This is a regular practice, apparently. I Will only buy a certified used car. And it probably already happened to me. I know people may think I'm a creep. At least some of you guys learned something. Becareful buying a used car. And I swear you better never buy one from a russian!

ttrace35

Ok. Have to take the car back next week. Audi is calling to schedule a lease inspection. Any last thoughts? If I disappear next week, you know what it is.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    I love how some people are willing to go to jail over a couple grand. If your freedom is worth less to you than the cost of this mileage overage penalty, then the car is the least of your concerns.
    bingo
    still dont understand why people lease cars either
    bad credit maybe?

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by mmike032 View Post
    bingo
    still dont understand why people lease cars either
    bad credit maybe?
    Lot of rich people lease also. Switch to a brand new car every 2 years.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

you can do the same without worrying about going over mileage
    I know alot of people that get new trucks every 2 yrs, make payments and trade it in for a new one

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

Exactly bro. My girl is russian and she knows a few dudes. They seem to have that market cornered. I did my car, which was an 05 toyota. I sold it to some chump. Ran off 30,000 miles. But never to the dealer. I paid $200 for my car. One of the guys told me that he has to run it back in 4 different places for my girl's audi and it $600. I dunno what to do. I'm over like 4000 miles and its due back next month. Gonna cost me a fortune. Gotta stop driving to wash heights for purple haze.
    Come on now you got the game ****** up!!! Not only are you finna risk this now your risking another pointless tree charger to **** you in the longrun too??? You all ****** up in the game mane!!!

big0mar
    SINGLE-DECK BLACKJACK
    big0mar's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

Just total the car

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by big0mar View Post
    Just total the car
    I like the way you think bigomar. I considered this option. I am halfway joking about going to jail. The car is in my gf's name. If they were so slap charges on her, I would step up. But half of her family has done this and they didn't think twice about it and never heard a word ever about the car.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2163

It's happening a lot...more than you would ever think...

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    It's happening a lot...more than you would ever think...
    I know. I had no idea until I met her. This is a very common scheme.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

Odometer tampering violates both state and federal laws, and can result in serious penalties or imprisonment. The federal Odometer Act makes it illegal to tamper with or lie about the true odometer reading of a car provided there is an "intent to defraud." If a violation of the Act occurs, a dealer could be liable for three times the actual damages or $1,500, whichever is greater.

The federal Truth in Mileage Act of 1986 requires that an odometer disclosure be made on a car's title certificate. A separate Odometer Disclosure form may be used when the original title is not available at the time of the sale, or when the title form predates the Truth in Mileage requirements and the odometer disclosure information is not contained on the title itself.

Under federal law, dealerships are also prohibited from giving false statements as to the true mileage of a car orally or in writing. In other words, the fraud does not actually have to be contained in the Odometer Statement itself in order for the law to have been broken.

A man in Pennsylvania was recently criminally charged with washing vehicle titles, failing to comply with odometer disclosure requirements, and engaging in impermissible activities relating to odometers. All three charges are felonies in that state, and all three relate to his activities in tampering with car odometers. In other states, similar crimes may not be classified as felonies, but the punishment may still be severe.

In addition to suing under the federal Odometer Act, you may also be able to sue under state laws protecting consumers from unfair trade practices or a state law specifically geared toward odometer fraud. You may also be able to bring a lawsuit for breach of contract against the dealership by arguing that the car you got is not the car you paid for.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Lol. Probably not worth the trouble either way.

ttrace35

I'm a fukkin degen gambler. If I have a chance to get over, and save a few grand, I'm gonna do it every time. Sure there is a chance we get caught, but there is a better chance that we don't. That's what gambling is all about.

shari91

I'm a fukkin degen gambler. If I have a chance to get over, and save a few grand, I'm gonna do it every time. Sure there is a chance we get caught, but there is a better chance that we don't. That's what gambling is all about.
    I'm not judging you because I don't know your financial situation or you personally so it's not really fair of me to do that.

But this is not gambling. Gambling involves doing research and placing a bet for a set amount of money because you believe the odds presented are worth it. You only risk a flat amount. You lose the bet and you still only lose X no matter the outcome. Your potential loss is capped.

This is investing a small amount to save a much larger amount. If you get away with it - fine. If you don't, then you'll end up paying much more than you would have initially by doing the legit thing. Both financially and personally ie the fines involved, legal costs, maybe time in jail (I'm just guessing here), having a criminal record, harming future career prospects, etc. The amount you're actually 'gambling' here is unknown.

It's quite a bit different.

Either way - the best of luck with it all.

Strange Design
    Strange Design's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Odometer tampering violates both state and federal laws, and can result in serious penalties or imprisonment. The federal Odometer Act makes it illegal to tamper with or lie about the true odometer reading of a car provided there is an "intent to defraud." If a violation of the Act occurs, a dealer could be liable for three times the actual damages or $1,500, whichever is greater.

The federal Truth in Mileage Act of 1986 requires that an odometer disclosure be made on a car's title certificate. A separate Odometer Disclosure form may be used when the original title is not available at the time of the sale, or when the title form predates the Truth in Mileage requirements and the odometer disclosure information is not contained on the title itself.

Under federal law, dealerships are also prohibited from giving false statements as to the true mileage of a car orally or in writing. In other words, the fraud does not actually have to be contained in the Odometer Statement itself in order for the law to have been broken.

A man in Pennsylvania was recently criminally charged with washing vehicle titles, failing to comply with odometer disclosure requirements, and engaging in impermissible activities relating to odometers. All three charges are felonies in that state, and all three relate to his activities in tampering with car odometers. In other states, similar crimes may not be classified as felonies, but the punishment may still be severe.

In addition to suing under the federal Odometer Act, you may also be able to sue under state laws protecting consumers from unfair trade practices or a state law specifically geared toward odometer fraud. You may also be able to bring a lawsuit for breach of contract against the dealership by arguing that the car you got is not the car you paid for.
    This. Don't do it. There are several ways you can get caught. Every time the car title has been transferred, the current mileage and date are recorded (i.e. the DMV knows about it, and the current mileage at that time will show up on a carfax search). Also, if your state requires emissions inspections, current mileage is recorded there too. If it suddenly shows up with less mileage than the last time you had an inspection, that obviously raises a red flag.

If you roll back the mileage and the dealer finds out later, you can bet your ass they'll sue you for at least the difference between what you got and what you would've gotten had you not rolled back the mileage. Depending on your state's laws, you're liable for up to 3x plus attorney's fees.

Don't do it.

ttrace35

I love you shari, but its still a form of gambling.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

do it.

then you can write daily blogs telling us how prison is like.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Design View Post
    This. Don't do it. There are several ways you can get caught. Every time the car title has been transferred, the current mileage and date are recorded (i.e. the DMV knows about it, and the current mileage at that time will show up on a carfax search). Also, if your state requires emissions inspections, current mileage is recorded there too.

If you roll back the mileage and the dealer finds out later, you can bet your ass they'll sue you for at least the difference between what you got and what you would've gotten had you not rolled back the mileage. Depending on your state's laws, you're liable for up to 3x plus attorney's fees.

Don't do it.

I hear all you guys, and thank you for the help. I would probably listen if my girls familiy hadn't been doing this for years. She knew this was going to happen so she never had the car serviced anywhere, where they record information. We will see what happens. I will keep you guys posted. Just like flyinillini said. This shit happens all the time and nobody knows. Very, very common practice.

Strange Design
    Strange Design's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 126

I hear all you guys, and thank you for the help. I would probably listen if my girls familiy hadn't been doing this for years. She knew this was going to happen so she never had the car serviced anywhere, where they record information. We will see what happens. I will keep you guys posted. Just like flyinillini said. This shit happens all the time and nobody knows. Very, very common practice.
    Just making sure you're aware of what you're assisting her in doing and the potential consequences. Figured I'd provide some free legal advice for my daily 8 points today instead of the worthless drivel I usually post, but it's obviously up to you whether you choose to listen.

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

Thats what the Carfax is for...if you got your oil changed recently, it will show how many miles the car was at when it was changed.

shari91

I love you shari, but its still a form of gambling.
    You're a sweetheart and I honestly hope this all works out ok for you. I know you realise what the potential consequences are but if I opened the thread and didn't say anything and then something crappy happened to you, I'd truly feel horrible. Honestly, I know you've made up your mind so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works out ok. All the best, ttrace

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Gee, are you people really THAT desperate?
    Someone is wanting to visit the big-house in their future, I bet?

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

I've worked in Digital Forensics for the last 4 years and you wouldn't believe what we can see by cloning a cars computer. If they use a digital forensic service in the lease inspection, you will 100% without a doubt be caught.

Fang-Banger
    Fang-Banger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

I hope you get caught. Scumbags like yourself are the reason rates go up and straight edged guys like myself are the ones who get fukked in the end. Just know that, you douchbag

Muddy
    Muddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3671

Man, what's with people not taking responsibility. You signed the papers-- if you went over the miles, then pay it.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

look on the bright side.

now both of them will have matching felonies.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by Fang-Banger View Post
    I hope you get caught. Scumbags like yourself are the reason rates go up and straight edged guys like myself are the ones who get fukked in the end. Just know that, you douchbag

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    look on the bright side.

now both of them will have matching felonies.

ttrace35

All of a sudden, players talk is filled with a bunch of mormons. Hypocrites.

R6MC
    R6MC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24711

never done this neither has anyone i know i'm quite sure it would not work out.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    wow lots of stupid information in this thread!
    fixt my good sir

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Please someone explain to me why you would lease a car?
    tsrh.

First 1234 Last