Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

My wife and a couple of my friends are big fans of my "Maryland-Style Dungeness Crab", which is really easy to prepare.

Pour beer (I use regular bud) and vinegar in equal proportions in the bottom part of a steamer, with a comparatively small amount of water. While you bring that to a boil, bring the upper part of the steamer aside and sprinkle a thin layer of Old Bay seasoning on the bottom. Then take your live crab (I'm asuming around 1.7 - 2 lbs), sprinkle more on its bottom, lay it topshell-up on the steamer basket and sprinkle another layer of Old bay with some black pepper. When the beer/vinegar mixture comes to a boil, plop the steamer basket on top and steam for 17-18 minutes (the crab is done when the top-shell is light orange-red).

Serve with beer or a cheap chardonnay (I recommend Macon-Aze or Macon-Villages by Louis Jadot late 2000's). Also, if you have some white rice, I like to stuff it in the top shell (after removing the stomach and hard parts) with a little sesame oil; mix it until it's a fairly uniform yellow-tan color.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Jnick- the best recipe I've found is one by Star Jones from when she was on the View. It involves baking the ribs and then grilling them and everyone I've ever served them to became obsessed with them. Google it and if the recipe involves liquid smoke then you know it's the right one.
    Yep, been doing it for years. Dry rub the ribs, put inside one of those oven bags, bake on 225°F for two hours, then transfer to my smoker, same temp for another 90 minutes to two hours. Fall off the bone.

Had been hoping to collaborate on a cookbook with Buztah - Degenerate Eats: A Cookbook for Gamblers. But alas, Buzzy is having a very difficult time getting his meds all worked out and the doctors say it could be years before he's stable enough to be released from the sanitarium.

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Thanks shari and Willie. Ill give that one a try too. Lots of good stuff in here

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    You'll also become a huge food critic lol
    Ain't this the fukkin truth, lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    I cook almost every night. I don't like packaged foods and have not been impressed with most restaurants. I go out a couple times a month to better quality restaurants/steak houses and order what I don't cook but generally I prefer to eat things I make. I like simple food and am unimpressed by foodies and their need for social recognition by stuffing the proper things into their mouth.

An easy burger recipe
    Note: I don't follow instructions precisely but flavor to taste or formulate your own based on experience.

1 Egg or whatever substitute binder
    Pack lean ground hamburger
    1-2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons of Dijon (or deli style if you do not like the taste)
    3 tablespoons of Ketchup
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Better if grilled. Always produces a moist burger.

I suggest you look into basic french recipes. Once you learn the techniques you can cook a variety of meals.
    For an even better burger, you don't want to use lean ground hamburger. Get the fattiest package the store has if you're in a hurry (20-30% fat). The more fat it has, the more flavor your burger will have.

jnickell100

Chili, i usually get 90/10

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by jnickell100 View Post
    Just try it with 80/20 or 70/30, you'll see. The fat is what makes the burger taste so good. I had the butcher grind some chuck to get me a 60/40 once, and it was okay, but my preferred ratio is 70/30.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Ain't this the fukkin truth, lol

For an even better burger, you don't want to use lean ground hamburger. Get the fattiest package the store has if you're in a hurry (20-30% fat). The more fat it has, the more flavor your burger will have.
    This is true but I do not personally find the taste that much better to compensate for the extra calories. For those that don't care for these things this should be a non issue so go with the fattest meat.

urge2kill
    urge2kill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1531

I usually get 85/15.

White Rhino
    White Rhino's Avatar Become A Pro!

I should cook more but my wife likes to so I don't.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by White Rhino View Post
    I should cook more but my wife likes to so I don't.
    My gf and I have been cooking together. Its actually a nice thing to do together and build your relationship.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Id rather have a meatier tasting burger and that is why you should take all of your red meat and wrap it in paper towels for at least a day, a few days for a big steak and place in your frig. You can lose up to 15% of weight from the meat that is nothing but water and water = no taste. It really changes the flavor of meat more so than any marinades or spices imo.

They also have these "dry age" freezer bags Ive recently read about. I haven't used them yet but from what I read they sound great.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

cougar, how does that serve? does it come out all sloppy and spill all over the place or does it hold together pretty well ?

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Vegas. Share some ideas brotha
    Quick meatball and gravy 'recipe.' I put it into quotes because not all ingredients are measured.

4 Hot Italian Sausages
    4 Mild Italian Sausages
    1 Small Spanish Onion
    1.25 lbs 80/20 ground beef
    Tablespoon Table Sugar
    Oregano
    Salt / Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
    Olive Oil (NOT EVOO, you don't sautee with EVOO - it's a finishing oil that people abuse)
    4 Cans "Kitchen Ready" Tomatoes
    1 Small Can Tomato Paste
    2 Eggs
    Italian Breadcrumbs (Regular BC are fine too)
    2 Bay Leafs

For Meatballs:

Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, oregano, salt, pepper and mix until binded. Heat up sautee pan to Medium with 1/4 inch of olive oil. Roll the meatballs to desired size, add to sautee pan and brown evenly. Only takes a minute on each 'side'. DO NOT COOK THE MEATBALLS ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Just brown on the outside, you'll see why later. Once meatballs are done, place aside and let rest

For Sausage:

Finely dice Spanish Onion and sautee in a big pot with a little big of olive oil on Med-Low heat. Once the onions have "sweated" and are clear, add the sausages and brown evenly. These take 3-4 minutes each side. Once finished, strain the onions/sausage and leave the pil in the pot.

For Sauce:

With the pot that has the oil in it, add the 4 cans of tomatoes, 1 can of paste, sugar, bay leafs, salt, pepper and 2.5 tomato cans of water. Boil on high and stir occasionally. Once the sauce is boiling, add in the meatballs/onions/sausage, reduce heat to Med-Low (Setting 2-3 if your stove has that) and cover. Stir every 20 minutes (including the bottom of the pot) and make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. If your sauce tastes smokey, it's because you didn't scrape the bottom. Ideally, let the sauce go for 3 hours (it'll be reduced by about half) or if you don't have that long...an hour will be alright.

This will make enough sauce for you and your family for days. If it's more than you thought, freeze some into individual portions. It reheats great and tastes no different.

Note: This was taught to me by my grandfather when I was a kid.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Quick meatball and gravy 'recipe.' I put it into quotes because not all ingredients are measured.

4 Hot Italian Sausages
    4 Mild Italian Sausages
    1 Small Spanish Onion
    1.25 lbs 80/20 ground beef
    Tablespoon Table Sugar
    Oregano
    Salt / Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
    Olive Oil (NOT EVOO, you don't sautee with EVOO - it's a finishing oil that people abuse)
    4 Cans "Kitchen Ready" Tomatoes
    1 Small Can Tomato Paste
    2 Eggs
    Italian Breadcrumbs (Regular BC are fine too)
    2 Bay Leafs

For Meatballs:

Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, oregano, salt, pepper and mix until binded. Heat up sautee pan to Medium with 1/4 inch of olive oil. Roll the meatballs to desired size, add to sautee pan and brown evenly. Only takes a minute on each 'side'. DO NOT COOK THE MEATBALLS ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Just brown on the outside, you'll see why later. Once meatballs are done, place aside and let rest

For Sausage:

Finely dice Spanish Onion and sautee in a big pot with a little big of olive oil on Med-Low heat. Once the onions have "sweated" and are clear, add the sausages and brown evenly. These take 3-4 minutes each side. Once finished, strain the onions/sausage and leave the pil in the pot.

For Sauce:

With the pot that has the oil in it, add the 4 cans of tomatoes, 1 can of paste, sugar, bay leafs, salt, pepper and 2.5 tomato cans of water. Boil on high and stir occasionally. Once the sauce is boiling, add in the meatballs/onions/sausage, reduce heat to Med-Low (Setting 2-3 if your stove has that) and cover. Stir every 20 minutes (including the bottom of the pot) and make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom. If your sauce tastes smokey, it's because you didn't scrape the bottom. Ideally, let the sauce go for 3 hours (it'll be reduced by about half) or if you don't have that long...an hour will be alright.

This will make enough sauce for you and your family for days. If it's more than you thought, freeze some into individual portions. It reheats great and tastes no different.

Note: This was taught to me by my grandfather when I was a kid.

been using plain panko bread crumbs and broken up milk soaked italian bread instead of regular bread crumbs. makes them fluffier. mix in grated parm as well.

thanks for the sauce tip.

txmagnolia2
    txmagnolia2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

I bake cookies for my family every week.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

i make an excellent blackened chicken in a skillet

grekos
    grekos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13316

How about something healthy.Boil some lentills for 20 minutes.In a blender dice up a red and yellow onion along with celery carrots garlic and olive oil.Add the blended stuff after the 20 minutes.After everything boils for 10 more minutes add a pound of cut mushrooms add salt an a couple bay leaves..Simmer for 20 minutes longer.Don't put too much salt untill it begins to cool.Will feed 6 to 7 people.

SoCalFisher
    SoCalFisher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3141

90/10 is what I always used also, until I tried the fattier stuff. You must try it. Makes all the diiference in the world.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Jnick- the best recipe I've found is one by Star Jones from when she was on the View. It involves baking the ribs and then grilling them and everyone I've ever served them to became obsessed with them. Google it and if the recipe involves liquid smoke then you know it's the right one.

And if you want a good cookbook, check out the massive yellow one by Mark Bittman. It's full of basics and teaches you the fundamentals of cooking but is easy to understand. I still use it at least once a week and I've been cooking for years.
    I used to make great baby back ribs. Marinated overnight, slow baked in the oven, then 10 minutes under the broiler.

Lost the recipe.

mitote
    mitote's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5348

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Bait View Post
    Here's an easy recipe with video instructiuon to get you started. I have a bunch of others on SBRTV if you're interested.

Made me up a batch of this shit tonight and choked most of it down! It was very FUKING good! Only thing the foil paper stuck 2 the cheese and I drank to much wine!

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by mitote View Post

Made me up a batch of this shit tonight and choked most of it down! It was very FUKING good! Only thing the foil paper stuck 2 the cheese and I drank to much wine!
    Spray some pam on the side of the foil paper that is going to be touching the cheese, and that should help alot with the cheese sticking.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

90/10 is dog food. 80/20 is great for some you'll bake, but 70/30 (even 75/25) is what you want for grilling. The fat is what gives it the flavor. The high heat of the grill will render that fat quickly and make your burger juicy and flavorful!

jnickell100

Tonight is gonna be fried pork chops, Mashed potatoes and green beans. More than likely wash it down with sweet ice tea...

Ill try and get a pic of the plate tonight

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

I can't cook much but chicks love when you cook something for them. You could ******* make them spagetti o's and they'll be happy. I need somebody like cougar to teach me step by step and I get it. I can't or won't read cook books.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

wish i could

im taking some of these down

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    I can't cook much but chicks love when you cook something for them. You could ******* make them spagetti o's and they'll be happy. I need somebody like cougar to teach me step by step and I get it. I can't or won't read cook books.
    C, I'm gonna start cooking Here shortly but I can write down the steps for pork chops once I'm down, maybe later tonight. It's very very easy and tastes great.

jnickell100

Here is what i had tonight. Its really simple and anyone that is just starting out can make fairly easily

jnickell100

Had the pork chops last night..... Im thawing some ground beef out tonight, any suggestions on what i should make? Not really wanting to make burgers or tacos.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

You've become a regular Bobby Flay. You can be Bobby Felatio.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I like to cook. The secret is to not share the recipe with others so people won't know what's actually supposed to taste like.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    You've become a regular Bobby Flay. You can be Bobby Felatio.
    heh...You better be makin those jokes now before you get married WV cause you know that shit stops once you are

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Make a meatloaf. Bind the ground beef with 1-2 eggs, one small diced onion, pinch of poultry seasoning, breadcrumbs then put into a baking pan...400 for 50-60 mins. Wash some potatoes (medium to big in size) and put them into the oven about 10 mins after the meatloaf. Should all finish at the same time. While it's cooking, boil fresh green beans or heat up canned green beans. Heat up a couple cans of beef gravy.

BOOM!

jnickell100

Funny that you say that Vegas, I just made my decision on meatloaf. I have a recipe for meatloaf that is similar to the one you have.

I know this is a noob question but....The breadcrumbs you say....Is that realy breadcrumbs or some sort of package??

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

heh...You better be makin those jokes now before you get married WV cause you know that shit stops once you are

blix177
    blix177's Avatar Become A Pro!

Only if cup-o-noodle counts.

First 1234 Last