obamaismyuncle
    obamaismyuncle's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why would someone steal automotive batterys?

Say a house was robbed, guns, electronics, attempted break in to a safe, and a few other things missing. Also taken were batterys out of vehicles in the yard, taken out of big tractors to be exact. Why would batterys be stolen? Are they worth that much if they were taken to a junk yard or what....

brxbmbers42
    brxbmbers42's Avatar Become A Pro!

tltaylor89
    FVn=S(1+c)n
    tltaylor89's Avatar Become A Pro!

They are worth $5-7 a piece at the junk yard.

obamaismyuncle

Quote Originally Posted by tltaylor89 View Post
    They are worth $5-7 a piece at the junk yard.
    well this is the angle I kind of figured but wow, people are that hard up these days? unreal

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

are tractor batteries more valuable tho????

DeeWizzle
    DeeWizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 109

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    well this is the angle I kind of figured but wow, people are that hard up these days? unreal
    It's either that or dumpster dive for cans.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

batteries are expensive. Especially those big industrial ones. $135-$165 or more new, so could get $50 easily out of a good one quick

Flexin
    Flexin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 51

The only reason I can see for taking a tractor battery is because someone needs them. I think someone would have to be hard up to spend the time to take the big heavy truck batteries.

James

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
    The only reason I can see for taking a tractor battery is because someone needs them. I think someone would have to be hard up to spend the time to take the big heavy truck batteries.

James
    yeah, they weigh about 40-50lbs. Not something you grab quick in a robbery for sure

obamaismyuncle

Just to clarify here a friend of mine had his house in the country robbed about 2 months ago. Him and myself were at his home and went into town to the bar, returned around 6 hours later to find his house robbed. Of course with the worthless Sheriffs Dept. around here, they have zero leads to this day. Returned to find many things missing such as a pistol, AK-47, tons of ammo, dvd player, attempted break in to a safe, clothes, tractor batteries and other things. I swear its someone him or myself know, but nothing has turned up. Someone knew that nobody was home and nobody would be home for some time.

obamaismyuncle

Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post
    yeah, they weigh about 40-50lbs. Not something you grab quick in a robbery for sure
    That's whats odd here, with as much stuff that was taken, whoever was responsible had to be there for quite some time, and knew nobody would be coming home.

obamaismyuncle

and now the Knicks are up 9

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Tractor batteries are the same as car batteries, they just use more of them. My Pete has four and they are very easy to get to and most guys don't have a lock on their battery box.

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by obamaismyuncle View Post
    That's whats odd here, with as much stuff that was taken, whoever was responsible had to be there for quite some time, and knew nobody would be coming home.
    If its way out in the country any trip away from the house ia a long time. And they wouldn't need that much time to take the things not locked up. The safe could have been a last ditch effort to get some more stuff. In the country there should be more then a few trucks that can use those batteries. Also what about wind turbines or solar panels in the area? Might try to use them as a battery bank to store unused power.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
    Tractor batteries are the same as car batteries, they just use more of them. My Pete has four and they are very easy to get to and most guys don't have a lock on their battery box.
    Thats the one benefit is the number of them and the fact that they are not that hard to get to but its not a smash and grab kind of item. And the value to weight is low compared to the other items taken.

James

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Core Charge
    you get $4 a piece

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

like anything, there's a market for it and money is money to some broke ass thief. I was asking the same question when my sister had her wing mirrors stolen and I was like "who the **** steals wing mirrors". Then I found out there is a huge market for wing mirrors, especially since now almost all cars have the electronic ones that add value to them.

THE PROFIT

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    Core Charge
    you get $4 a piece
    you have to buy a new battery to get a core charge, but you get charged if you dont have it, its $10. You can get $5-$6 for recycling them.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

You degenerate gambling criminals need to step your game up. Catalytic converters are where it's at.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    You degenerate gambling criminals need to step your game up. Catalytic converters are where it's at.
    700 a pop, i agree indeed but it takes skills to steal it underneath the car.

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

back in my HS days me and my buds would take a shopping cart into a junk yard and steal the batteries...it was about $70-$80 a load...enough to drink and party for the weekend ... Ahhhhh the good 'ol days

Flexin

Quote Originally Posted by nyed1010 View Post
    like anything, there's a market for it and money is money to some broke ass thief. I was asking the same question when my sister had her wing mirrors stolen and I was like "who the **** steals wing mirrors". Then I found out there is a huge market for wing mirrors, especially since now almost all cars have the electronic ones that add value to them.
    Yes but a broke ass thief can't push a shopping cart down a country road loaded down with large truck batteries. You would have a car/truck/atv. I'm not saying that nobody would steal them its just a weird item to go for. Even though there is easy access you would still need to unbolt the hold down bars and also the cables. Seems like a waste of time for the money you would get. Now a hard up trucker is a bit of a different story. To replace the batteries isn't cheap. Taking those batteries can get a truck back on the road again earning a living.

Some people will just take anything. Years ago people were breaking into cars to take bridge tokens.

James

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by AribaAriba View Post
    If you have children they can easily be taught this task. They are quite dexterous with their small hands and make quick work.Their sense of morality is not quite developed either so ethical dilemmas do not need to be discussed. If you are the frugal type holding a favorite toy ransom can alleviate the need to share in the illicit profits.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by AribaAriba View Post
    takes zero (0) skill...

get a battery powered sawz-all and you can have that cat out in 30 seconds... they just cut both ends of the exhaust pipe coming out of it and out she comes...

and there is a market for them as they're extremely expensive new.