DeluxeLiner
    DeluxeLiner's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

What Nickelicious says is correct. You can convert Reform and you will be recognized as Jewish by almost everyone. Don't let a few bad folks let you think that since they follow more rules they are better, they are just limiting themselves and they are far from perfect. To be recognized by Orthodox you need to convert orthodox but their lifestyle is a pain in the ass and they are held up on rules and not the spirit of the text they read (in fact they pretty much quickly cruise through their prayers everyday hyperspeed without thinking about it).

Nickelicious I like all this sex talk. I believe you are correct. I like how it is written out how often a husband and wife should have sex according to the profession of the husband (poor merchants never get laid). That stuff is just for fun and not really that important since it is pretty archaic.

Cougar with your Greek Orthodox background the main thing you need to give up is that you can not believe that Jesus is the son of god. If you think he was a swell guy but not divine you can join the club. Jews for Jesus and like groups are pretty disliked amougnst the Jewish community (because they aren't Jews they are Christians)

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

(in fact they pretty much quickly cruise through their prayers everyday hyperspeed without thinking about it).
    Deluxe, I wouldn't stereotype other groups. It's unbecoming.

Every group has their own beliefs and their reasons for doing so.

Bashing other groups for not doing like you is just wrong.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by DeluxeLiner View Post
    What Nickelicious says is correct. You can convert Reform and you will be recognized as Jewish by almost everyone. Don't let a few bad folks let you think that since they follow more rules they are better, they are just limiting themselves and they are far from perfect. To be recognized by Orthodox you need to convert orthodox but their lifestyle is a pain in the ass and they are held up on rules and not the spirit of the text they read (in fact they pretty much quickly cruise through their prayers everyday hyperspeed without thinking about it).

Nickelicious I like all this sex talk. I believe you are correct. I like how it is written out how often a husband and wife should have sex according to the profession of the husband (poor merchants never get laid). That stuff is just for fun and not really that important since it is pretty archaic.

Cougar with your Greek Orthodox background the main thing you need to give up is that you can not believe that Jesus is the son of god. If you think he was a swell guy but not divine you can join the club. Jews for Jesus and like groups are pretty disliked amougnst the Jewish community (because they aren't Jews they are Christians)
    Those "messianic Jews" They are slick salesmen for sure.

Grind-It-Out
    Grind-It-Out's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Bait View Post
    I grew up in a pentecostal family but my Yaya and Papouli (Grandmother and Grandfather) were Greek Orthodox. I have always considered myself more spiritual than religious though, and just think it is time to consider Judaism. From what I have read on my own and from some of the posts here, I think this could be a good fit. But since it is an extremely important one, I want to make sure it is the right decision. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I am of the belief that there is a higher power. In fact, I don't even know what all this nonsense (life) would even be for if it weren't the case.
    The desire (in this case, a justification for your life) for a higher power does not make it so, but to each his own.

Even though I'm an atheist, I have studied several religions extensively. For what it's worth, if I had to choose one it would DEFINITELY be Judaism.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Quote Originally Posted by Grind-It-Out View Post

The desire (in this case, a justification for your life) for a higher power does not make it so, but to each his own.

Even though I'm an atheist, I have studied several religions extensively. For what it's worth, if I had to choose one it would DEFINITELY be Judaism.
    No, I never said I had a desire to justify my life I meant I can't really think what the point is of being here unless there is more than what we experience now. It's also the type of person I am. I consider myself an optimist for the most part. There's nothing optimistic about living for 70 years running in circles, working to pay taxes, and then darkness. I respect the fact that you have decided Atheism is for you. Grind it out, what is so endearing about Atheism to you? Personal question, I know, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Vesuvius
    Vesuvius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

:lmao gtfo!

Grind-It-Out

There's nothing really endearing about it. But, IMO, you either believe or you don't. I don't believe, and unless something happened to change that, it would be hypocritical of me to be a Christian, Jew or anything else.

You said you're an optimist. Well, I'm not, but I'm not a pessimist either. I'm a realist, and as much as I'd like for there to be a god, there is absolutely ZERO evidence that suggests that one exists.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts.

I think that quote pretty much sums it up. There are infinite possible gods, but we all believe in the same one or two? It's just indoctrination. If you and your neighbor were left to come up with your own god independently, the odds of you both believing in the same god would be infinity squared to one. So, why does the entire planet choose to worship only a handful of gods when there should really be 6 billion different gods?

Ignorance is bliss. I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I believe that a large percentage of people who believe in a god do so not because they don't have the mental capacity to challenge the idea, but because they don't want to imagine the thought of a godless life. Generally speaking, the less well off a community is, the more faith and religion is apart of it. Think of a family where both parents work 16 hours a day just to barely scrape by. They live in a crumby house, their kids go to a crumby school, etc. This family NEEDS for their to be a god in order to be able to live.

Grind-It-Out

No, I never said I had a desire to justify my life I meant I can't really think what the point is of being here unless there is more than what we experience now. It's also the type of person I am. I consider myself an optimist for the most part. There's nothing optimistic about living for 70 years running in circles, working to pay taxes, and then darkness. I respect the fact that you have decided Atheism is for you. Grind it out, what is so endearing about Atheism to you? Personal question, I know, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.
    Also, while I know many people try out several religions before choosing what fits their lifestyle and moral values best, one cannot really "decide" to be an atheist. I didn't wake up one morning and say "Alright, I'm going to read some brochures today and decide what I want to be." In my head there is no god, so the choice is made for me.

My parents are both Catholic, and I went to Catholic schools my entire life. While I always thought it was a little weird, I never outwardly questioned it. But, when I went off to college there was no longer anybody there to spoon feed Catholicism to me. Couple that with curiosity and the Internet and it didn't take long.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

What about duality? God provides the best explanation for the separate human functions of brain and conscience (matter and mind). The alternative theory is monism -only matter exists and the human brain only appears to have a separate subconscious ability.

Grind-It-Out

What about duality? God provides the best explanation for the separate human functions of brain and conscience (matter and mind). The alternative theory is monism -only matter exists and the human brain only appears to have a separate subconscious ability.
    I'm not a biologist, so I can't speak directly to your point, but the great thing about science is that it's perfectly okay to say "we're not sure yet." Just because we can't explain something doesn't mean that a god is responsible for it.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

I'm not a biologist, so I can't speak directly to your point, but the great thing about science is that it's perfectly okay to say "we're not sure yet." Just because we can't explain something doesn't mean that a god is responsible for it.
    Okay, well then why demand proof for everything then? That is a good point, really. You are willing to give science a pass, just as I can have the ability to let my faith guide me. I guess what I am saying here is, why allow "proof" to dictate one side of the argument and not the other? Or to a more specific point, why isn't it logical for me to have faith if one will never know until they are actually dead if God really exists?

Grind-It-Out

Okay, well then why demand proof for everything then? That is a good point, really. You are willing to give science a pass, just as I can have the ability to let my faith guide me. I guess what I am saying here is, why allow "proof" to dictate one side of the argument and not the other? Or to a more specific point, why isn't it logical for me to have faith if one will never know until they are actually dead if God really exists?
    In no way am I giving science a "pass". Science is not a religion. Science can't answer every possible question in the world, so it sucks... umm no. Science doesn't claim to be able to answer everything, and that is essential.

Yes, it is possible that your god exists. But there is zero evidence to support, and all of the below are equally or more likely to exist than your god:

• the flying spaghetti monster,
    • pink cross-breads of elephants and unicorns,
    • talking bobsleds,
    • a girl that finds me attractive

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Where the hell is Hitler when you need him???

lol, just a joke

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

In no way am I giving science a "pass". Science is not a religion. Science can't answer every possible question in the world, so it sucks... umm no. Science doesn't claim to be able to answer everything, and that is essential.

Yes, it is possible that your god exists. But there is zero evidence to support, and all of the below are equally or more likely to exist than your god:

• the flying spaghetti monster,
    • pink cross-breads of elephants and unicorns,
    • talking bobsleds,
    • a girl that finds me attractive
    Okay, I love self-deprecating humor as much as the next guy but you seem like a sharp guy, don't include yourself in a list with a flying spaghetti monster. I would say the first step might be stop watching Bill Maher?

Oh, and too late, the spaghetti monster does actually exist.

Flying Dutchman
    Floggings continue until morale improves
    Flying Dutchman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 759

Good luck, Coug.

Having been born into it (as well as being "African-American" ...wtf? I'm African-Dutch!) I seriously doubt I'd convert into it if not already there.

DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU GIVE UP BACON! This crap is a hold-over from times when you could get serious diseases (like Trichinosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis) from eating it before we got decent food regulations. Besides, if you grill it (on top of anything), the worms can't getcha.

Grind-It-Out

Haha nice.

Bill Maher didn't invent the FSM, though he does bring it up a lot. I rather enjoy his humor, so I'll keep watching. Several studies show that Atheists are the least trusted, most hated people in America, so it's comforting to be able to listen and laugh with a like-minded individual.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

Dutcher,

You should post some videos of you making bacon around your relatives. That would be classic.

Grinder,

Many of (actually most of) my friends are Atheists. We get along really well even when having conversations about it. It doesn't matter to me though because I am on an individual journey (as we all are in some respects). When you close your eyes in the end, it won't matter if your friends think you were an idiot for wasting your time with religion. Mortality is one scary mutha.

Grind-It-Out

"Life" before you were born didn't suck, and so "life" after you are dead also won't suck.

I was watching a special on the discovery channel the other day about the Big Bang Theory. It was postulated that the Multiverse will collapse upon itself in 10 billion years or so in an event equal and opposite to the Big Bang, and that the Big Bang will happen again and again, and that we are just one in a long cycle of Multiverses. This has not and maybe never will be proven or disproven, but if true it means that we would have infinite lives. They may be separated by 600 trillion years, but how would you be able to tell?

Flying Dutchman

Dutcher,

You should post some videos of you making bacon around your relatives. That would be classic.

Grinder,

Many of (actually most of) my friends are Atheists. We get along really well even when having conversations about it. It doesn't matter to me though because I am on an individual journey (as we all are in some respects). When you close your eyes in the end, it won't matter if your friends think you were an idiot for wasting your time with religion. Mortality is one scary mutha.
    Coug, nobody in my immediate puts up with the "traditional" BS of the 'doxys. Frankly, I'd go with the FSM before I'd put up with the crazy sh*t my less-immediate relatives do. However, when you are born in it, WTF can you do? It comes down my maternal line, so "it's there"!

louis.ana
    louis.ana's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 446

religion is so obsolete,
    it is for the second class citizen

DeluxeLiner

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Deluxe, I wouldn't stereotype other groups. It's unbecoming. Every group has their own beliefs and their reasons for doing so. Bashing other groups for not doing like you is just wrong.
    Whoa...They really do say the prayers way faster than other groups in general. I was not bashing. They say way more prayers and they would be there all day if they did it the speed of conservative or reform minions. Yisman know what you are talking about before judging me. It's unbecoming.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I do know what I'm talking about.

I know that you're stereotyping an entire segment of a religion with the intent of denigrating their beliefs.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

Uh oh. Sounds like a Jewish throwdown coming...

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Com' on guys it takes literally 45 seconds in the morning and 45 seconds at night to say the Shema

EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

You may get a somewhat cold reception from some Jews. The more traditional ones believe Judaism is a race, not a religion, and so they might view you as an outsider even after your "conversion". The thing I love about Jews is they're not constantly shoving their dogma up my ass unlike some other religions, so no complaints from me.

DeluxeLiner

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    I do know what I'm talking about.

I know that you're stereotyping an entire segment of a religion with the intent of denigrating their beliefs.
    All I said was that they do the prayers really fast because from what I have seen they do say the prayers really fast (Sorry for the anecdotal evidence it will have to suffice but I can promise that this observation has been noted by others besides myself). How am I denigrating their beliefs by saying they do these prayers so quickly that they don't necessarily gain meaning from them every time they do the prayer. The prayer I am talking about is the reading of the Torah not blessing the bread for Shabbat or something.

For the purpose of this discussion Orthodox would most likely be wrong for Cougar because it probably would be a radical lifestyle change for him and he would not gain the meaning he is looking for from ritual.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

Talked to my parents about it during Thanksgiving, they were not happy.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Did you expect otherwise? Did you get the "you're going to hell booyy" rant? Always a crowd pleaser.

Robber
    Robber's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 92737

lol at negotiating

Flying Dutchman

What you should have told them was: "I've discovered I'm a Tranny, and I'm gonna marry another Tranny, and I'm going to convert to his/her religion namely Judaism."

After crazy reaction, then state: "OK, subtract out the Tranny part, and the marriage part."

Now, it doesn't seem nearly so bad.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year

My parents want me to believe what they believe

I am old enough to decide for myself though

But it will be strange, because they take it so seriously

I don't know about Trannies Dutcher, if I even said the word Tranny I would probably be disowned

Or worse yet, condemned to watch The Crying Game over and over again

Flying Dutchman

Yeah, Crying Game was a shock.

...so don't tell 'em, convert on your own and keep it to yourself.

Then you can also be part of the "Chosen People" and get your ass kicked by God like the rest of us have.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail View Post
    Protestants greatest contribution to society is that they pay retail

existential
    existential's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 168545

i've always been agnostic with atheist leanings, but have studied lots of Judeo Christian theology over time. some random thoughts..

there's really no point in converting to Judaism if you're already Greek Orthodox, Catholic, or Protestant. "Christianity" is merely a sect of Judaism and even Catholics are reading the Old Testament these days (prior they had not been when the Catholic Church was at odds with the tenants of Judaism, but that's no longer the case). as for Evangelicals and other 'Old Testament Christian' groups, Jews are on a pedestal in their eyes. and even groups like the Mormons are absolutely obsessed with Jews, as their temples are built to resemble Jewish ones and they also baptize Jews posthumously.

like another poster said, being 'Jewish' is a lot more about ethnicity/race and far less to do about religion. so if you're converting but don't have any true lineage, you won't be held in as high of a regard.

personally never had an issue with Jews. they're at least very intelligent, educated, and entrepreneurial. and Israel is really a bad ass place to visit. incredible beaches, gorgeous women, and everyone's very chill, happy, open minded, and communal. the direct opposite of oppressive Moslem filth.
    Points Awarded:

MoeSedway gave existential 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by existential View Post
    i've always been agnostic with atheist leanings, but have studied lots of Judeo Christian theology over time. some random thoughts..

there's really no point in converting to Judaism if you're already Greek Orthodox, Catholic, or Protestant. "Christianity" is merely a sect of Judaism and even Catholics are reading the Old Testament these days (prior they had not been when the Catholic Church was at odds with the tenants of Judaism, but that's no longer the case). as for Evangelicals and other 'Old Testament Christian' groups, Jews are on a pedestal in their eyes. and even groups like the Mormons are absolutely obsessed with Jews, as their temples are built to resemble Jewish ones and they also baptize Jews posthumously.

like another poster said, being 'Jewish' is a lot more about ethnicity/race and far less to do about religion. so if you're converting but don't have any true lineage, you won't be held in as high of a regard.

personally never had an issue with Jews. they're at least very intelligent, educated, and entrepreneurial. and Israel is really a bad ass place to visit. incredible beaches, gorgeous women, and everyone's very chill, happy, open minded, and communal. the direct opposite of oppressive Moslem filth.
    Christians hold Gods word in high regard. The Jews are chosen for example, they are part of the tribes " Hebrew " tribes. Christians preach the New Testament and Gods gift of salvation through Christ. I'm not part of a " jewish sect " non Jews are grafted in to the promise as explain by Paul.

First 12345 Last