ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Tracking Junk Silver prices (June 2022)

I've periodically made posts in here advocating (junk) Silver as an investment.

Going to post some Ebay sales. If anyone works with Local Silver dealers, that would be helpful, too. Think this is going to be a hot-button topic in coming weeks.

ChuckyTheGoat

90% Silver Dime rolls (date = 1940s), 50 coins.

Face = $5.00.

Spot = $1.59 * 50 = $79.50.

Ebay price = $107 (and still going).
    Total Ebay cost = $119+.

Cost/Spot = 150%.
    Markup = 50%. See what I mean.

ChuckyTheGoat

Roll Of 40 Silver quarter 1964 D Washington, circulated

Sold for 49% markup over Spot.

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25558

Chucky Ship me a roll of Barber Dimes.

Thank you

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
    Chucky Ship me a roll of Barber Dimes.

Thank you
    When's your Birthday? I'll hook u up.

I actually don't think I have more than a couple Barber Dimes. Mostly Rosie Dimes. Did just buy a Jeff Nickel lot.

ChuckyTheGoat

This lot is selling for 56% premium over spot:

Roll / Tube of (50 ) 90% Silver Roosevelt Dimes $5 Face Value Avg Circ

Just sayin.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

yeah, but spot doesn't exist unless you take delivery from options contracts
    which basically is only for millionaires with storage facilities or bank vaults.

there is always a markup even for bullion rounds...
    old dimes also have collectible and sometimes numismatic value

it all depends upon why you're buying and what you're envisioning the crisis to be, and how it will play out
    for example if silver is being used to exchange for goods & services, Joe might prefer a coin minted by a government
    something automatically recognizable... this is a premium also

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

Silver is silver, anytime you can get it at melt or less you are doing good.

5 years ago I would have said offer fifty cents back of melt depending on the product.

For example. 925 silver trashed out chain, melt -0.5 per oz.

American eagles +1

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Thinking about buying a bunch of forever stamps as an investment. Thoughts???

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Wish I knew it better. Sounds like a reasonable investment. What will Face Value of stamp be in January 2023? 70-cents?

ChuckyTheGoat

One observation:

*35% silver War-time Jeff Nickels selling for a much lower premium than the 90% silver items.

That tells me the market is much more gung-ho on Silver rising (vs Copper). People are saying that Ag will rise more than pro-rata vs Cu.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    One observation:

*35% silver War-time Jeff Nickels selling for a much lower premium than the 90% silver items.

That tells me the market is much more gung-ho on Silver rising (vs Copper). People are saying that Ag will rise more than pro-rata vs Cu.
    Will Bump this post. Repeating what I said above:

*Wartime Jeff Nickels appear to be a bargain to me.

If you're BULLISH on BOTH Silver/Copper (IE, expect both precious/base metals) to increase in value, the Jeff Nickels are a good deal.

Premiums on 90% junk silver approaching 50% premium above spot. Much stiffer price on Silver.

ChuckyTheGoat

Jake, I looked at this some more. I like it! I bought a couple lots of Forever Stamps.

Per usual, govt entities know how to bleed money:

Feb. 8, 2022
    U.S. Postal Service Reports First Quarter Fiscal Year 2022 Results

• Adjusted loss of approximately $1.3 billion for quarter, compared to an adjusted loss of $288 million for the same quarter last year
    • New strategic investments help meet the demands of the 2021 holiday season
    • Delivering for America plan provides clear strategies to structure the organization for success and significant progress has already been made

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Postal Service today announced its financial results for the first quarter of its fiscal year 2022 (Oct. 1, 2021 - Dec. 31, 2021), reporting an adjusted loss of approximately $1.3 billion for the quarter, compared to an adjusted loss of $288 million for the same quarter last year. Adjusted loss excludes non-cash workers' compensation adjustments for the impacts of actuarial revaluation and discount rate changes, which are outside of management's control. On a U.S. generally accepted accounting principles basis, the Postal Service had a net loss of approximately $1.5 billion for the quarter, compared to net income of $318 million for the same quarter last year.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Wish I knew it better. Sounds like a reasonable investment. What will Face Value of stamp be in January 2023? 70-cents?
    .60 in 5 days

3% scalp opportunity

Postcard stamps going up .04 for a 10% scalp although demand is definitely less

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

In the early 2000s I bought a ton of silver dime rolls. I bought all I could get my hands on, about 300 rolls or so. All of them were face-to-face purchases from Craigslist and some prepper websites where I could verify they were real. Threw them in the safe and forgot all about them. I wonder how high it will go.

ChuckyTheGoat

.60 in 5 days

3% scalp opportunity

Postcard stamps going up .04 for a 10% scalp although demand is definitely less
    Salud, jake. Appreciate this post.

I bought some. Gave away some as gifts.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    In the early 2000s I bought a ton of silver dime rolls. I bought all I could get my hands on, about 300 rolls or so. All of them were face-to-face purchases from Craigslist and some prepper websites where I could verify they were real. Threw them in the safe and forgot all about them. I wonder how high it will go.
    Dog...been a while since I've looked at this. Been super-busy w/ other stuff.

For one year+...I was buying a silver item weekly when I thought it was on sale. Just looked today.

Wow! Spot price is now officially a joke. Check out this sale going final in 2minutes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11556010310...Bk9SR_6horL6YA

Bid is literally 2x the spot price.