louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

The 70's and 80's were best times for getting loans.

The good ole days.

How my parents owned a home, multiple cars(bought news ones too), had ************, took out home equity loans to add on to home + build garage, all while keeping 4 kids fed(never on welfare), had new school clothes + supplies, etc. etc. with what the interest rates were during that span, is amazing.
    Dad worked a union job and mom was on and off PT-FT in retail jobs.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/banki...ast-100-years/

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Quote Originally Posted by louisvillekid View Post
    The good ole days.

How my parents owned a home, multiple cars(bought news ones too), had ************, took out home equity loans to add on to home + build garage, all while keeping 4 kids fed(never on welfare), had new school clothes + supplies, etc. etc. with what the interest rates were during that span, is amazing.
    Dad worked a union job and mom was on and off PT-FT in retail jobs.

https://www.gobankingrates.com/banki...ast-100-years/
    Huh? the word for CC's gets auto blocked? Wow.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8317

There was 5 of us kids, my dad was a mechanic by trade and went to work for the coal mines in 1971, my mom didn't always work, outside the home, probably 6 of my 12 years of school, we had everything we needed and always plenty of wants.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

The key words here are “Union Jobs”.
    That was back when we had millionaire owners who shared the wealth with Pension plans for dedicated employees. Cadillac Health plans, a July company picnic, A December party.

What you’ve got now are Billionaire owners who share nothing with employee Dads & Mom’s who work two jobs each.
    Points Awarded:

edawg gave TheGoldenGoose 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Apparently no one gets the gist of it.

Pension plans invest in the markets too. it's not a large stockpile of cash set aside in a vault for a person's retirement.

The ridiculous average interest rates people paid back then for car loans, mortgages, personal loans, home equity loans, CC cards, etc. etc. is unfathomable since the 90s and into the 2000's, with the almost zero percent, or zero for 6,12,18 months, type of rates we get now, and expect.