JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

Join Hexversi Tourney #6 by April 25th Win up to 2500 Pts SPECIAL section for Newbies

There are 3 different ways for you to win 500 Points or MORE.

. Win the most games(not %) in this Tourney out of anyone on SBR besides myself. blankoblanco won this in the last Tourney with 10 total wins.

#1A.
    In this Tourney there will be a SPECIAL for Newbies(anyone besides DanielEspinosa, blankoblanco, Ian, gauchojake, and jackpot269 will qualify) to win 500 points. If none of the Newbies win a game, I will give 500 points to the Newbie that came closest to winning a COMPLETED game. If any of your opponents should timeout(this is not uncommon in the 1st Round) you will still be credited for the win. jackpot269 won this in the last Tourney with 0 Wins. Yes, you read that correctly. Because he was the only newbie to join the Tourney, and because he played at least 1 COMPLETED game, he automatically Won the 500 points, even though he went winless. I must say though, he was in a VERY tough Section.

#2. Section Winner Prediction Picks. I will explain this more thoroughly once the Tourney starts. If you beat me as well, it's worth 1000 points. But if you don't beat me, it's only worth 500 points.
    blankoblanco won this in the last tourney as well with 18 Total Prediction Points, beating my prediction points as well, so he got the full 1000.

#3. Tourney Winner Prediction. Nobody got this one right in the last Tourney. My only rule is, you can't pick me as I will be picking myself. There are now several very strong and well known Othello players in the Othello community that join and play in these Tournaments so, I don't think I'm the favorite in these Tournaments anymore.

Also, if anyone on SBR should WIN the Tourney you will Win 1000 points. And if you pick yourself to Win the Tourney AND you Win the Tourney... I'll give you 5000 points.

For new players, to create an account you may have to send itsyourturn.com an email to websupport@itsyourturn.com and tell them that you want to create an account. They should get back to you fairly quickly. Please use your SBR name as your username at IYT.

To sign up for the Tourney go to Tournament area and click on April 2022 Open Fast #2 Tournament by Monday, April 25. Find Hexversi and check the box and click submit down below.

You can practice Hexversi on the app below if you want to practice up before the tourney starts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xagonalreversi

You can practice here as well:

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I am requesting that everyone that joins this Tourney to give me 1 point in this post. This is simply so I can keep track of who has joined.

The Tournament will start on Tuesday, April 26th. I am hoping for at least 50 players to sign up. I haven't done any recruiting yet on IYT or on Facebook but I will do that either today or tomorrow.

Hexversi is a very simple game that ANYONE can learn in less than a minute. I recommend the very short Othello(same rules) instructional video below if you want to know ALL the rules. If anyone has any questions, let me know in this thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 04-22-22 at 01:33 PM.
    Points Awarded:

jackpot269 gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Daniel Espinosa gave JohnGalt2341 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29922

In it to win it, thanks for another contest! Let's see if we can get a newcomer to join the fray

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8305

Hopefully we can get at least one new player, Im sure glad I started playing!! Im in maybe win a few games this time

JohnGalt2341

2 days left to sign up. It looks as if no newbies have signed up yet. If you have never played Hexversi before and you are reading this, if you are the only newbie to sign up, all you have to do is sign up and play at least one COMPLETED game(a timed out or resigned game will not count) and you will automatically win 500 points. Even if you lose all 6 of your games, you will still Win 500 points. It's basically a Free 500 points for anyone that wants it. You might even like this game. You might even be good at it!

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Hows the book going? Would like an autographed copy.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave BOA12 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by BOA12 View Post
    Hows the book going? Would like an autographed copy.
    It's on hold for now. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    It's on hold for now. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.
    Thanks for the update author in waiting.

blankoblanco

Hmm, it's a damn shame that more people aren't willing to try something new... I guess the likes of Daniel, jackpot, and myself are a rare breed!

JohnGalt2341

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Hmm, it's a damn shame that more people aren't willing to try something new... I guess the likes of Daniel, jackpot, and myself are a rare breed!
    Indeed! There's still time for a newbie to sign up! It's a FREE 500 points to any newbie that wants it! All you have to do is play at least 1 full COMPLETED game and you will Win 500 points. Even if you lose all 6 of your games you will still Win the 500 points just as long as you don't time-out or resign.

Edit... also... I'll give you a simple game plan that should help you Win at least one of your games. Most newbies win at least one game unless they are in a very tough Section like jackpot was in that last Tourney. But regardless... if you are the only newbie that signs up... even if you lose all 6 of your games... you will still Win the 500 points.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 04-25-22 at 02:25 PM.

JohnGalt2341

The Tournament has started! There are 10 different Sections. Please post your Section Winner predictions by Thursday, April 28th. And post your overall Tournament Winner as well.

For the Section Winner predictions, you may copy anyone else's picks but if there is a tie, the person who put their picks in first will win the tie-breaker. I will make my Section Winner picks last. And if there is a tie, the tie will go to you guys. The points you get for each correct Section winner pick will correspond with what Round we are in. e.g. round 1, each correct pick is worth one point each. Round 2, two points each and so on. When the Tourney is over, the person with the highest number of Section Prediction points will win 500 points. If you have more Prediction Points than myself you will win 1000 points.

For the overall Tournament Winner, once a pick is taken it can't be selected again. You can't pick Holden2341, as that is my choice. Let me know if you have any questions about anything else. Good luck!

PS... Jackpot... you have a very manageable Section. I think you have a chance of even winning that Section!

I think I can speak for Daniel when I say... F-You IYT for this!

Section #3
    Player's Name Score Games
    com
    pleted
    Avg score
    per game
    cmpltd
    DanielEspinosa 0 0 0.00
    §Holden2341 0 0 0.00
    mmariomm 0 0 0.00
    §Stephen 0 0 0.00

blankoblanco

Damn your guys' group, that's not even fair. Meanwhile I have RCCH in mine, and he beat me the last time we played. Not a kind first round

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

I wish I had saw this earlier. I was monitoring the thread when jackpot joined. Maybe next month I will be more aware.

jackpot269

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
    I wish I had saw this earlier. I was monitoring the thread when jackpot joined. Maybe next month I will be more aware.
    I love it!! its the best new game I've started in years!! And as much as much as I love having money on the line, im having a great time with no chance of lost funds, now if there is ever a fee type money tournament im sure I would join!!

jackpot269

Section winners

#1 Shimgar

#2 Amelrus

#3 Holden2341

#4 joook

#5 Topal

#6 Ryan

#7 Blancoblanco

#8 Jackpot269 wishful thinking

#9 sarok

#10 WHUFC

Over all winner: Shimgar

Good luck team SBR !!

John if I wasn't supposed to pick you to win in the last tounry, I am sorry about that buddy!! I forgot!!

Im still using the notes in the other thread!! When I go back and see what, I could do better, it always makes sense and I understand why I should make the moves you have pointed out !! Then when I am playing a game, some of it just leaves me!! but I feel that I am getting better!! Trying real hard to watch and get all the inside chips flipped when possible but still miss the better move sometimes!! Thanks for all your help!!
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave jackpot269 500 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341

Well, the Tournament will likely last AT LEAST 3 months. But if you want, you can join the Hexversi Ladder here:

https://www.itsyourturn.com/iyt.dll?...=9&id=741&ty=2

You can challenge up to 2 players at a time and up to 2 players can challenge you. So, you can never have more than 4 games going at once. Time limits are 28 hours per move. I'll give you a list of aggressive players in the Ladder to challenge and a simple game plan on how to beat these aggressive players. I'll throw you 100 Points after your first Ladder Win. When the next Tourney starts, if you are still interested in the game, you'll be a heavy favorite to Win the Newbie Section. In this Tourney, any newbie that signed up would have Won automatically. Also, I'm going to keep that previous Tourney thread alive to help other players such as Jackpot and possibly yourself to point out common mistakes from your games to help you improve.

So, if you want to create an account at itsyourturn, you need to send them an email first at websupport@itsyourturn.com Just tell them you want to create an account and you want your user name to be las8 and I think you will have to give them a password as well. Once you create an account and join the Ladder, let me know and I will tell you who the aggressive players are and I will give you a simple game plan on how to beat these aggressive players.

After you have completed a game or 2, I will point out where you made some common mistakes in the previous Hexversi thread.

blankoblanco

I'll pick blankoblanco to win it all! Feeling too lazy to guess section winners, I'm just gonna bow out of that part this time

JohnGalt2341

I'll pick blankoblanco to win it all! Feeling too lazy to guess section winners, I'm just gonna bow out of that part this time
    Fair enough, we can do a 1 day extension on the Section Winners. If you pick yourself you get a 1 day extension lol... but you can bow out if you want. I'll pick mine tomorrow. It seems like there are a lot of tough ones this time.

Daniel Espinosa
    Daniel Espinosa's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 34381

#1 Shimgar

#2 Amelrus

#3 mmariomm

#4 aragon

#5 Topal

#6 Ryan

#7 Blancoblanco

#8 Jackpot269

#9 sarok

#10 WHUFC

Winner: mmariomm (sorry John rooting for you but I cant pick you)

JohnGalt2341

My Picks for Round 1

shimgar
    Amelrus
    Holden2341*
    joook
    Toptal
    Ryan
    blankoblanco
    turtlecrossing
    Angela Malkowski
    Ivan Gutorov

jackpot269

Daniel Espinosa they put you in Holden2342 group in the first round every time !!! That's just not fair!

Daniel Espinosa

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    Daniel Espinosa they put you in Holden2342 group in the first round every time !!! That's just not fair!
    rigged obv lol

blankoblanco

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Espinosa View Post
    rigged obv lol
    Definitely. Hell, if I had your luck with group draws, I'd probably never make it to the 2nd round. You've even beat John before, I haven't

Daniel Espinosa

He made some mistakes, not sure if that's going to happen any time soon.

Definitely. Hell, if I had your luck with group draws, I'd probably never make it to the 2nd round. You've even beat John before, I haven't

las8

Jackpot, you wanna challenge me please? I'm trying to learn to play but it's hard when I am only on move six after nine days on three of these games. I thought I had an advantage briefly against alleyH until i messed up the edge trying to get the corner. He's been the only one who's been able to do moves back to back with me in a reasonable amount of time so I can see how my moves influence their moves. These other games have zero flow and I have zero patience. I'm trying to play. I'm trying to get reps. I already like this game it's strategy/puzzle which is right up my alley. I cannot find any other method to play this game besides this even against a computer would be nice so I can start seeing patterns. Besides pace of play I'm into this game. I just wanna play now, like right now. Not some game that lasts a month.

jackpot269

Jackpot, you wanna challenge me please? I'm trying to learn to play but it's hard when I am only on move six after nine days on three of these games. I thought I had an advantage briefly against alleyH until i messed up the edge trying to get the corner. He's been the only one who's been able to do moves back to back with me in a reasonable amount of time so I can see how my moves influence their moves. These other games have zero flow and I have zero patience. I'm trying to play. I'm trying to get reps. I already like this game it's strategy/puzzle which is right up my alley. I cannot find any other method to play this game besides this even against a computer would be nice so I can start seeing patterns. Besides pace of play I'm into this game. I just wanna play now, like right now. Not some game that lasts a month.
    yes and I like a quicker pace too!! you are challenged buddy
    Last edited by jackpot269; 05-06-22 at 10:23 PM.

JohnGalt2341

Here's a couple of PCU's you can play against.

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xagonalreversi

Keep your focus on your option count, not your piece count. If you are focusing on your piece count, you are being tricked. You need to be focusing on your option/move count. Whomever has more options/moves available to them at any given time, is almost always winning the game, regardless of what the score says. Our objective is to run our opponent out of moves/options. Once we do this, then we get to dictate the direction of the game and then getting our piece count up high is extremely easy.

Here's a very simple and effective strategy that I call "The Island in the Water". YOU want to be the Island. Meaning, try to keep your pieces in a small clump inside of your opponents pieces. Just try to keep doing this throughout the game. Don't worry about piece count at all. It's better to have less pieces in most situations if possible. But the most important thing is to try to keep splitting up your opponents pieces by ripping right through the middle of their pieces. And preferably, you want to keep your Island small if possible. There is plenty of time to get your piece count up once you run your opponent out of places to move. I call this the Tap Out. This means, your opponent has no place to legally move. Once this is achieved, THEN you can worry about piece count and then winning the game is easy.

Also, don't put too much emphasis in getting or avoiding the sides. The most important thing about the sides is playing them correctly. That's too difficult to explain right now. But for now, just know this... getting a corner is HUGE. Because once you get a corner it cannot be flipped so it is yours to keep. So... be VERY CAREFUL when playing the spots next to the corners. Especially the ones that are NOT touching the wall. These are called X-Hexes. I advise you to avoid playing X-Hexes entirely until you absolutely have to because you are a beginner. The X-Hexes in the image below are: f10, j6, j2, f2, b6, and b10. They are in RED. The notation in Blue are the C-hexes. You can play those, but just be careful because they are next to the corner. Corners are VERY Good to get, because they are Permanent.

I just noticed today that you joined the Ladder. I think you should have a decent shot at beating tc and mary hunt. Other aggressive players you could challenge in the future that I think you could probably beat on your first few games include, winbig2, robert sawyers, Freddo48, Frank, ~~Princess~~, Tammy,
    Angelo Piantadosi, moose 3:O), irontown, osprey87 that should enough for a while I think. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

Also, here's a link to my last 100 Ladder Wins. If you want, you can look at some of my games against some of the players above and just rip through the games really quickly and see how I play against these really aggressive players and you can see what to expect and how to handle it. My style of play is fairly simple and effective.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?compl...tn=2&wl=0&st=0

Good Luck in the Ladder!

las8

For some reason I was so focused on trying to get the corners. I feel like that cost me but maybe I wasn't in that great of position just because I had a higher tile count as you said.

jackpot269

I have found the sides hard to play correctly! John has put some good playing tips in the other thread that was started in Jan. If you cant find It, I can bump it if you need me too!!
    I go back read over them but still miss some opportunities when playing!! Im like you the slow play, is hard to get used to, but this is the best new game I've played in years!!

JohnGalt2341

For some reason I was so focused on trying to get the corners. I feel like that cost me but maybe I wasn't in that great of position just because I had a higher tile count as you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    I have found the sides hard to play correctly! John has put some good playing tips in the other thread that was started in Jan. If you cant find It, I can bump it if you need me too!!
    I go back read over them but still miss some opportunities when playing!! Im like you the slow play, is hard to get used to, but this is the best new game I've played in years!!

Here's a link to the other thread below. The lessons are at posts #'s 123, 126, 129, 131, 132, 142, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 160, 163, and 164 so far. I will continue to add more.

https://www.sportsbookreview.com/for...ewbies-p4.html

Side-play is the most difficult thing for most players to learn. The #1 thing that I recommend you check out from lessons in the posts above is #126 as it is an introduction to playing FIPE's. Just playing FIPE's and avoid playing X-hexes and avoid flipping outside/exposed pieces as much as you can, should be enough for you to beat the majority of the aggressive players that you challenge. And once you learn how to play the sides correctly, you should be on your way to becoming a good player. Let me know if you have any questions.

las8

I have been reading that thread and been taking notes. I appreciate the time you take to teach this game. I can tell you really enjoy it and so far I do as well. So thanks for getting me started. And thanks jackpot for the quick play. Bol to you!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackpot269

jackpot269

las8
    When ever we finish this one we can start another. if you want too. IT would be nice if most played a little faster

las8

Agreed. You'll have to challenge me. We will have comprised an entire game before I made a single move in my other three. I just want to play now!

jackpot269

Agreed. You'll have to challenge me. We will have comprised an entire game before I made a single move in my other three. I just want to play now!
    We want be able to play in the latter again for 2 weeks I think, but I will send you a challenge and we can play outside the latter

las8

Ok. I'm still figuring out the website. I tried to join a random game but got zero matches. I'm probably not doing it correctly.
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave las8 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jackpot269

Im still figuring it out too, but i tried playing someone again in the latter and it gave me a message i had to wait 2 weeks to play them again

12 Last