TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Anyone Ever Have This Kind Of Dental Problem Before?

Had a filling done when I was 17 years old. The dentist said it was precautionary at the time... there really wasn't even a sign of a cavity.

25 years later that filling cracked around 2019 Labor Day. My dentist was nice enough to come in for an emergency repair filling that weekend.

All of a sudden this past Friday night... that area was just throbbing like crazy. I thought that filling cracked again. Because it was hurting so bad. So from the refill/repair til now it was about 27 months roughly.

I went to see my dentist today. They did a freeze test on the area... where they put something very cold to see my reaction... if I have pain or not? No pain. They said... do you feel anything? I said I barely feel anything. Slight coldness but it doesn't hurt. They tap on the filling very rough... did it sting??? I said no. They tap on the neighboring teeth really hard. They said does it hurt? I said no. It feels fine. The dentist looks at the x-ray... and she goes... everything looks fine. There's nothing on the x-ray that indicates infection. She said the only odd thing I see is that your nerve endings are extremely high near the filling. Almost like they grew. I said why are the nerves irritated when really nothing would cause them to become irritated or inflamed? She really didn't have an answer for me.

So... to repair this... she recommends a root canal.... and then a crown.

This is so weird.... the area just hurts for like 5 minutes... and then goes away. Comes back stronger for 10 minutes... then goes away. Ibuprofen 800mg did help to allow me to sleep. Naturally when I have a meal... it irritates the piss out of that nerve.

What would you guys do in this situation??? Just wait a week to see if the nerve just dies down???? Or heals on it's own??? I just don't understand if the tooth isn't cracked... no hairline crack... and the filling is flush... why is this damn nerve doing this for?

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Any issues w temperature sensitivity to beverages?

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Any issues w temperature sensitivity to beverages?
    It seems like everything is normal when drinking liquids. It's more or less... just moving the jaw and muscle movement that sparks this nerve pain. Not necessarily anything touching the tooth. That's what makes this so bizarre.

Tanko
    Slow roll
    Tanko's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24774

Look up dental periodontitis. Your dentist likely would have identified that as the problem so, unless she/he is not a good dentist, this could be wrong. My daughter (a dentist) told me about periodontitis.

If your gums are starting to recede or you have gum disease, the nerves in your teeth will become sensitive and can result in pain. It usually occurs in older people as they've brushed too hard over the years or have gum disease.

You might try Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste. Takes about a week of use to start seeing results.

Hope you get over this quickly.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11848

This guy is pretty funny.

Starts talking about dentists around 2:20

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Get a second opinion and maybe a third then decide from there.
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave JAKEPEAVY21 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

They get the ice out, means you need a root canal and crown. If not today, next week, next month. It gets worse as time goes by. Had 3 of them.
    Cost you about 2500.00 bucks for the works..
    Last edited by HockeyRocks; 11-29-21 at 03:15 PM.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8317

I had a very similar experience about 6 years ago my periodontitis (Gum doctor) referred me to an endodontist my tooth was fractured below gum line and was pushing on a nerve very painful.

jackpot269

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    I had a very similar experience about 6 years ago my periodontitis (Gum doctor) referred me to an endodontist my tooth was fractured below gum line and was pushing on a nerve very painful.
    maybe like hockey said you can get by with a root canal! If its like mine was its got to come out!!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

If you want to avoid infected teeth for the rest of your life eat one piece of raw garlic every day with a meal. It's a natural antibiotic.

I did have one tooth that would get infected every six months or so and I'd be on antibiotics right after, I hated that.. Almost pulled it.

I started eating a RAW garlic clove piece every day and never had another tooth infection since. That was ten years ago and I still have that same tooth in my mouth today. No lie TRUE STORY. It also brought down my slightly high blood pressure down over time as an added benefit.

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

Get a root canal or pull it.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by zert View Post
    Get a root canal or pull it.
    Just curious.... if you get a root canal... why do they automatically tell you to crown the tooth after the root canal? Why can't they just do a root canal and do another filling?

I appreciate all the posts fellas! Thanks!

I've used Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Toothpaste since 1995. I believe it works... also keeps your teeth super white. I always brush just before bed time. I've had Ortho work done twice... and this new plastic retainer crap.... I'm not a big fan of it. Isn't your teeth supposed to breathe a little? I just feel like my teeth are deteriorating more because I wear this retainer at night now. Remember the older retainers that were like a metal appliance you put in your mouth? At least it didn't cover your gums. I feel my gums are receding faster because of these new plastic retainers. I've never had gum disease etc. At least never diagnosed by a dentist.

I did try Sensodyne toothpaste many years ago... it was definitely less harsh but clearly wouldn't keep your teeth white.

So many decisions.... Thanks again for all the posts!

jackpot269

Root canal was not an option for me.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Root canals suck on the uppers. If it's a lower it's workable. Still root canals only last 10-20 years tops and then you have to pull it.

Pull it and get an implant if that's an option over a root canal. Implants are bank but they last forever but most dental insurances don't cover it unfortunately.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11848

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Implants are bank but they last forever but most dental insurances don't cover it unfortunately.
    That's where dental tourism comes in

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Foxx View Post
    That's where dental tourism comes in
    Yup, Thailand.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3561

At your young age the root canal and crown are most definitely the way to travel. Will be half the cost of an implant. GL
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9149

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Get a second opinion and maybe a third then decide from there.
    ^^^

Or if it is not a visible tooth, just pull it out. A lot less invasive and probably wont bother you at all missing one down the side.

TheMoneyShot

I appreciate the posts fellas.

So, I spoke to the dentist that originally did the filling 2 years ago. He said come on in at 3pm today... let me look at it. I'll let you know what I think you should do... if we go the root canal/crown route... I have time to do it for you.

I thought a toothache was bad lol This pain literally feels like someone jabbing a knife through your jaw bone/muscle at times... I truly don't understand how this is happening? But... what else can I do?? Can't live in pain. Was barely able to sleep last night even with the 800mg ibuprofen.

TheMoneyShot

Procedure done. Took 2 1/2 hours. Had to numb me a total of 6 times. $1,700.00

He said he was 95% sure that it was the tooth that was already filled. He said the only way to know where the pain is coming from is to drill into the tooth. He said once he drills 1/4 through he can tell if it is or isn't the correct tooth. How could he tell? He didn't tell me that. Root canal and crown. Hopefully no more pain.

jackpot269

I hope you have no more pain also, When you have pressure on a nerve it is very painful!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheMoneyShot

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

I had this exact thing happen to me when I started pounding and mowing on this slit/clit which was my GF. It definitely caused it. However, I had this exact type of pain you did maybe even worse. If I recall I toughed it out. Loaded up on some vitamins. Eventually, the pain went away and I never saw a dentist. Try Thieves Oil if this ever happens again. The fillings they put in your mouth are basically like radio antennas. No joke.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    I had this exact thing happen to me when I started pounding and mowing on this slit/clit which was my GF. It definitely caused it. However, I had this exact type of pain you did maybe even worse. If I recall I toughed it out. Loaded up on some vitamins. Eventually, the pain went away and I never saw a dentist. Try Thieves Oil if this ever happens again. The fillings they put in your mouth are basically like radio antennas. No joke.
    The only thing I did differently.... had crazy hot spicy food on Tuesday... Wednesday and Thursday... Nothing really crunchy at all. Friday night.... into Saturday morning... the pain was there. Could be pure coincidence. So far... I'm taking 400mg of Ibuporfen every 4 hours just precautionary... (after root canal) I don't want the pain to sneak up on me (if any)... I'm only going to do this for about 48 hours and stop.

Yeah... I agree with you... I tried to wait it out... I didn't want to fork over the dough... I poured that OTC numbing gel over the tooth where it was hurting.... all it did was piss it off more lol Violent pain. lol Go figure.

MarkMakers
    MarkMakers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Sorta unrelated: My dentist told me that the problem with Gum Disease is it’s painless. And millions of people don’t even know they have it. . Most of those people experience zero pain or complications until it’s too late.

TheMoneyShot

Just wanted to update this thread...

So I got my "real" crown put in about a week ago. The good news is.... it looks wonderful... like they did a hell of a job making it look like a real tooth. Incredible.... bite feels fine. Flossing the area is perfect. Real smooth. The weird thing is... periodically there is slight "sensation" at the crown area.... It's not a major pain... or a hurting feeling.... but just a "sensation" (that's the only word I can figure out to use)... that says... OH HEY!! HALF YOUR TOOTH IS GONE... let me annoy you. Again, I don't know how to describe it. But, it's just enough to screw with you mind when you're doing other things. Has anyone ever felt some sort of "odd" discomfort after getting a crown?? Does it take time for your body to get used to it?

Like the temporary crown felt great. No sensations... nothing weird. Hard to floss the area... but no pain. No discomfort. No odd "sensation". I'm beginning to think... is there a weight difference from the temporary to your new crown?? And my body just isn't used to this artificial tooth in my mouth??? You figure you shouldn't feel anything in that area after pulling all the nerves out.... but all I can say is... the feeling is... the entire "structure" of the tooth just aches briefly. I can just feel something.... and I shouldn't feel anything.

Anyone have any ideas??

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Taking care of your teeth is a major, maor responsibility, toward keeping not only your teeth--I am scared too death of "falsies"-- but good overall health, yet, I have failed to keep up with the proper good dental procedures, so now, wow!
    Here com-da outrageous expenses.

What would one of our members have to pay out of pocket for one tooth implant?
    How about 2 of them?