A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Moonshiners Make Gasoline Out Of Alcohol During Gas Shortage

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Interesting but not practical

The energy contained in ethyl alcohol is about 50% of that in actual gasoline.

You'd need $9/ gallon gas to make this viable (think if the ethanol subsidies for all the farmers and you'll see why this is stupid politics and horrible economics)

Sanity Check

Practicality is determined by scale.

Scaling up growth of supply, ramping up production would cut overhead, making it more feasible.

I think the issue with ethanol was it relying on corn which was grown as a food crop. On top of ethanol being damaging to engines.

There are other technologies which produce biofuels using waste products which are more viable.

It helps for people to know there are alternatives to oil and gasoline.

Sanity Check

Startup Says It Can Make Ethanol for $1 a Gallon, and Without Corn

Illinois startup Coskata says it can make ethanol out of almost anything for under a buck a gallon. Environmentalists and energy experts are cautiously optimistic that the company may be on to something.

A BIOFUEL STARTUP in Illinois can make ethanol from just about anything organic for less than $1 per gallon, and it wouldn't interfere with food supplies, company officials said.

Coskata, which is backed by General Motors and other investors, uses bacteria to convert almost any organic material, from corn husks (but not the corn itself) to municipal trash, into ethanol.

"It's not five years away, it's not 10 years away. It's affordable, and it's now," said Wes Bolsen, the company's vice president of business development.

https://www.wired.com/2008/01/startu...-without-corn/

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8305

When Oil is cheap they take it out of the mix when oil is high you will see it more often. Gas stations in my area been having both at pump since the last time oil was over $80 barrel 1 with no ethanol and 1 with at least 10% ethanol. The 1 without is about 25 to 30 cents higher a gallon

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Startup Says It Can Make Ethanol for $1 a Gallon, and Without Corn

Illinois startup Coskata says it can make ethanol out of almost anything for under a buck a gallon. Environmentalists and energy experts are cautiously optimistic that the company may be on to something.

A BIOFUEL STARTUP in Illinois can make ethanol from just about anything organic for less than $1 per gallon, and it wouldn't interfere with food supplies, company officials said.

Coskata, which is backed by General Motors and other investors, uses bacteria to convert almost any organic material, from corn husks (but not the corn itself) to municipal trash, into ethanol.

"It's not five years away, it's not 10 years away. It's affordable, and it's now," said Wes Bolsen, the company's vice president of business development.

https://www.wired.com/2008/01/startu...-without-corn/

Ok

So their cost is $1

Figure 50% mark up to cover logistics & profit

Then the State & Fed tax is $1

So that's "fuel" for $2.50/ gal that converts to 50% of the energy of traditional 88 octane gasoline.

You'd need $5 gas to make this viable, and I'm not even considering the agriculture subsidies going into the raw materials.

The ONLY solution is to get rid of Democrats in Federal office. I'm sorry, but the party is simply dishonest when it comes to US energy policy.

What Cheney began in 2003 is what Trump completed in 2017. Energy independence, surplus raw crude & nat gas, suffices refining capacity and efficient logistics (pipelines).

It took one fukking bastard elected by 80mm jerkoffs who shouldn't be voting in the 1st place to undo 20 years of progress in energy.

If you're a Democrat you're a jerkoff

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8305

Minney I think that Democrats and the GOP are both jerkoffs!! One question: Ive seen and read (like you have) that the USA had reached energy independence in 2017 I guess it was, but If the USA was truly independent why were we still buying millions of barrels of oil from other countries! Makes no sense.
    I know that you understand that the middle east can produce and send us crude cheaper than we can produce it. Im all about not needing anybody but the USA to produce our own here but when you talk about cost we can not compete!!

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    Minney I think that Democrats and the GOP are both jerkoffs!! One question: Ive seen and read (like you have) that the USA had reached energy independence in 2017 I guess it was, but If the USA was truly independent why were we still buying millions of barrels of oil from other countries! Makes no sense.
    I know that you understand that the middle east can produce and send us crude cheaper than we can produce it. Im all about not needing anybody but the USA to produce our own here but when you talk about cost we can not compete!!
    We support, for military purposes, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE and Canada via an "oil for peace" agreement.

Doesn't mean our domestic producers can't export, it's just how we maintain control of the mid east & Western hemisphere.

The Biden administration literally offered the world to the Chinese & Russians w his pipeline BS. 1 military alliance between those 2 and we are finished as an influence in the eastern hemisphere.