thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

have a coyote near the house

Not a pack of them, just a singular one. Have cats and a kid (4). Anyone have experience taking care of these things?

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Not a pack of them, just a singular one. Have cats and a kid (4). Anyone have experience taking care of these things?
    Let it be

It’ll leave if theres no food around
    Points Awarded:

Al Masters gave DiggityDaggityDo 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

If eats one of your cats so the fukk what. If you fukk around with nature, bad karma is going to come get you.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Don't worry about it leave it alone. Obviously keep an eye on the kids don't leave them alone outside by themselves. Cats are excellent fighters and escape artists it is looking for an easy meal the risks are minimal at best.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

I have a canyon behind the back yard. I hear coyotes every night. There were times they would enter the back yard and drink water from the pool. When confronted they run away unless they feel they are being attacked.

Keep the cats inside after dark.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

He's fine

I've got a fox that hangs around my deck here. I always toss my scraps out for her.

She used to be afraid but now just prances right up, grabs the bones, and pranced back to the dock area.

The coyote probably won't do anything solo, they are pack animals so likely he'll not be there much longer...certainly isn't gonna venture onto your deck or anything. He's looking for squirrel or rabbit or baby deer.

masr
    masr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5933

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    Let it be

It’ll leave if theres no food around
    His cats are considered food

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

western yote= eastern fox
    eastern yote= small wolf.
    big difference.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pablo222

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16957

I live on a mountain so it's a daily thing around me. Just be aware for the kid. The cat is going to need to stay inside.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by masr View Post
    His cats are considered food
    This neighborhood used to have plenty of cats ten years ago. Now you never see any outside. The coyotes got them. One night driving home I spotted three of them cornering a cat. The cat lost.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by cecil127 View Post
    western yote= eastern fox
    eastern yote= small wolf.
    big difference.

There really IS a big difference.
    I have heard and seen them close by at night. These are not your scrubby Western little dogs. They also breed with wolves to make the coywolf. So it really does depend on a lot of factors. It could also be a red wolf or flat out eastern wolf. In all cases you wait because they will kill everything they can then leave --they don't like cars and roads. An eastern coyote never stays anywhere nicely lit at night or with sounds that interfere with their calls. Your lone coyote calling will find a mate or a pack and move on.

Coyote calls are more yippy. Their kills are like yippy woo hoo celebrations. If you hear a lower-pitched, longer, more visceral HOWL that sounds like a freaking horror movie, that's not a full coyote. It's a coywolf or wolf. When I hear that I go back in the house if it's really dark out. Even with a gun you can't see them coming. But they can see you.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Kept the cats inside for now.

My wife left out a bag of food, I think he got the scent and that’s what made him come close. He looked very thin, so he probably expanded his area looking for food. I scared him away temporarily but he came back when the coast was clear.

Almost 40 lived in the same area my whole life. Never saw one unless I hiked in the woods. My dad mid 60s also said he’s never seen one close to the house like that. This is Pittsburgh suburbs. I live in a wooded area.

Should I expect him and some friends when night hits?

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Kept the cats inside for now.

My wife left out a bag of food, I think he got the scent and that’s what made him come close. He looked very thin, so he probably expanded his area looking for food. I scared him away temporarily but he came back when the coast was clear.

Almost 40 lived in the same area my whole life. Never saw one unless I hiked in the woods. My dad mid 60s also said he’s never seen one close to the house like that. This is Pittsburgh suburbs. I live in a wooded area.

Should I expect him and some friends when night hits?
    One reason animals move, for food. Probably would not pass on a cat. Have you seen "development" in the area? I would say the habitat is deteriorating or the food source is increasing...has to be one of the 2

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    One reason animals move, for food. Probably would not pass on a cat. Have you seen "development" in the area? I would say the habitat is deteriorating or the food source is increasing...has to be one of the 2
    Yes. They started developing a new plan behind my house a few years ago. Very odd that the first day I get one in the yard my wife leaves a bag of food right next to where the woods begins. I have to imagine he has gotten scent of the cats though.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Yes. They started developing a new plan behind my house a few years ago. Very odd that the first day I get one in the yard my wife leaves a bag of food right next to where the woods begins. I have to imagine he has gotten scent of the cats though.

The news spreads like a female co-worker with special skills. The scouts relay the news and then they hunt in groups. One drought year they would wander some residential streets at night on a nightly basis. The city had to contact Animal Control to solve the issue.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

Leave the food out again overnight.
    This time with rat poison.
    Keep cats inside.
    Done deal.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

Let them eat your cats as a donation to nature! Cats have shit and piss boxes inside the house and at least you can throw out the shit boxes for good.

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

Here in Connecticut coyotes are the only animal you can hunt 365 days a year. They eat all the cats and take down small dogs for meals so they are considered vermin.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19225

I think you need to call game, fish, and parks. If they say you can hunt them, shoot the mfr’s! Or hire a pro with dogs to run them off.

Maybe, there is a legal way to live trap them so they can be put to sleep.

At the very least, the game warden should have some advice

cecil127
    Horses and Hockey Biatch!
    cecil127's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6871

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    I think you need to call game, fish, and parks. If they say you can hunt them, shoot the mfr’s! Or hire a pro with dogs to run them off.

Maybe, there is a legal way to live trap them so they can be put to sleep.

At the very least, the game warden should have some advice
    live trap (cage style) a cat/bobcat...no problem
    live trap a canine (cage style)...damn near impossible
    using foothold trap ive caught eastern yotes in less than 24 hrs....not a bunch but very possible. legal size, offset footholds do nearly no damage to a eastern yote paw.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

I can't believe you left out food for them.

Some have success using bear piss to ward them away.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1470

I live right off a canyon in the hills. There’s a pack that lives very close by. I was walking my dogs on a private hiking trail at dusk one night freshly baked when they surrounded us from all directions cackling at us. We all booked it out of the woods as fast as we could. Very glad my dogs didn’t try and start a fight or get lured to play. Turns out we were very close to a den during pup season. They do not take kindly to that. They are vicious lil fackers. Will bite your dogs ballsack off without thinking twice. Keep your cat inside. The coyote knows it lives there.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    I live right off a canyon in the hills. There’s a pack that lives very close by. I was walking my dogs on a private hiking trail at dusk one night freshly baked when they surrounded us from all directions cackling at us. We all booked it out of the woods as fast as we could. Very glad my dogs didn’t try and start a fight or get lured to play. Turns out we were very close to a den during pup season. They do not take kindly to that. They are vicious lil fackers. Will bite your dogs ballsack off without thinking twice. Keep your cat inside. The coyote knows it lives there.
    As a young lad I was playing in the front yard and our Balinese cat was out with her three Kittens. The next door neighbors dog, a Pug/Bulldog had escaped through an open fence and approached our property. The dog {who was about five times the size of our cat} began to move towards the nesting liter. The dog barked, the cat screeched then the dog made his move
    "Rebel "The dogs name spent several days at the veterinary hospital, almost died from infection and lost vision in one eye. Never the same after that day. Our cat was the nicest, mellowist animal on the planet. But she attached that dog with a ferocity I had never witness before or ever since. There are many strong bonds in this world. But the one between mother and her off spring is the absolute strongest. inho.

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

They will eat a cat.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3549

Give me 2lbs of hamburg and 12oz of compound 1080...
    and that coyote will be dead in less than 5 minutes.

When it comes down to your kid or a coyote it's a no-brainer that the coyote goes immediately. WTF is wrong with some of you guys? Kill that coyote ASAP.
    Last edited by TheGoldenGoose; 07-31-21 at 07:13 PM.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

shoot it
    They don't live by themselves soon you will be dealing with a pack

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16957

My wake up call this morning
    Points Awarded:

cecil127 gave franklee168 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cecil127

Okieirish
    Okieirish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2970

Shot at one yesterday checking the cattle. It's hot and dry and I am seeing them closer to the ponds now. The coyote was probably 130-150 yards in some grass near the pond. All I could see was his ears sticking up. I shot where I thought his head was. Did not get him, but it was a very difficult shot. IF you don't shoot a coyote, there is pretty much nothing else going to get it.They will try to rip the guts out of calves and eat them alive if they are newborns. They are a huge nuisance.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Agreed...just leave it alone and keep an eye on your kid and keep the animals inside.

Poison is a brutal death with suffering for hours. A bullet to the head is a far more humane option if it comes to that.
    Use. 308 Winchester for coyotes there is no need for an animal to suffer. I understand sometimes wildlife has to be dealt with but it should be done as swiftly and humane as possible.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19225

What is that? 100 yard shot - into a hillside - looks safe enough? Not very big / a young one. Don’t young males get kicked out so they are not a threat to try to mate?

Probably, tough times for this guy to make it on his own.

Always wanted to see it but there are guys with sets of 3 washed up greyhounds that chase coyotes relay style until they run the coyote to death.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Ain’t seen the fukker since or any friends.

I did call the pa game commission though.

Claims they have had an uptick in calls this year about them (i guess he meant pa total?). Shoot em if you need to. Keep animals and kid supervised.

My aunt lives in middle of nowhere pa and one went through a tear on their geese years back. In my area, never heard of a kid being attacked or a pet either though. Of course, when ones 10 feet from your house, you change your position on them.

I heard out west they basically said don’t leave pets outside unless you want them to be eaten.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I can't believe you left out food for them.

Some have success using bear piss to ward them away.
    Wife doesn’t understand living in a more rural place. Lived in a city all her life. I guess she thought it would bring nice little animals. Anyways maybe they were around and at least now I know they are there. The one I saw was skinny as fukk so I am guessing they ran out of food where they were and happened on my doorstep.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

I was out for a walk around my neighborhood just now and a coyote walked by me about 10 feet away. I yelled at it and it ran off.

12 Last