ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24611

Sports Trading Cards - April Notes

Gonna try this as a thread. Just a few comments:

*I track this pretty regularly. Will try to update what I view as significant notes.
    *For the 1st time I can remember, people are viewing this as a legitimate asset class. Some conglomerate $$ coming into the industry.
    *90% of my holdings are 1970s/1980s card. I try to stay in my wheelhouse. I don't delve back into the 60s too often, and I don't buy much later than 1990 (w/ a few exceptions).
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

ChuckyTheGoat

*My note of the day is that Gretzky cards are going insane AGAIN.

I can't how many times Gretzky cards have re-set the bar. Sale in the last week of 1980 OPC psa10 for $60,000! That's his 2ND-YEAR card.

Gretzky cards leaving the station. Largely un-attainable for the average guy now.

Note that many of the 1980s hockey sets had up to 9+ Gretzky variations. The base, the All-Star, the team card...and several Leader cards. People are now fighting just to get ANY card w/ Wayne's face on it.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

So I bought a pinini card w a piece of Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle, Maris, Munson, Jackson, Jeter uniforms in it.

Negotiate to $500. It's a 3 of 5 limited.

Well see if this market is real or not. If it's legit then I got something when Jeter goes into hall...if not, I got old school names

ChuckyTheGoat

Good Luck, Fats! If it's legit...u got a gem.

The cards that boggle my mind are the Modern 2020 cards where they attach an autograph w/ the jersey cut-out. I still can't figure out why these are so highly-sought. The immortals like Ruth/JoeD/Mantle, that's another thing.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Good Luck, Fats! If it's legit...u got a gem.

The cards that boggle my mind are the Modern 2020 cards where they attach an autograph w/ the jersey cut-out. I still can't figure out why these are so highly-sought. The immortals like Ruth/JoeD/Mantle, that's another thing.
    I know, I think it's the idea of buying a box w a rookie that hits it big. If you get a piece of the Clemson kids Jaguars jersey signed before he takes a snap you might get $500k for it...pure speculation

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4166

Off topic but some unopened super mario nintendo original game went for 550k or something the other day at an auction.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47428

Over the past year, I've really got back into sport card investing/speculating.

Probably spent somewhere around 40-50k on graded cards and sealed wax in that time....I made some mistakes but overall feeling pretty good about what I'm sitting on for the future.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PromiseLand

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2287

I have the Jerry Koosman Nolan Ryan Mets rookie card its in very good shape
    I know as 9/10 it sells over 7k
    Thats my best card

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Asset class?

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Over the past year, I've really got back into sport card investing/speculating.

Probably spent somewhere around 40-50k on graded cards and sealed wax in that time....I made some mistakes but overall feeling pretty good about what I'm sitting on for the future.
    I'm sure you're in good shape. I just see these prices rocket up.

I love Un-opened. The only caveat I would put on it is difference btw Wax and Foil (or Mylar). It's pretty well-known in the industry that a good% of old wax was re-sealed.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Thats my best card
    konck, you're in the catbird's seat on that one. The Nolan Ryan rook is one of the most sought-after cards. And Koosman was pretty good, too.

I run across the Ryan rooks at shows. Dealers know they don't have to offer a discount. That card will sell soon enuf.

Ryan RC in PSA6 is about my limit (that I would think about). Saw one yesterday at $2500. Had to at least think about it.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Thats my best card
    Konck, check out these prices. If your card as is good as you say, you're in the $$.

Note that a hi% of the 9's are listed w/ an OC qualifier:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...summary/187604

MinnesotaFats

Koosman sold insurance in New Richmond Wisconsin after he retired!

JAKEPEAVY21

I'm sure you're in good shape. I just see these prices rocket up.

I love Un-opened. The only caveat I would put on it is difference btw Wax and Foil (or Mylar). It's pretty well-known in the industry that a good% of old wax was re-sealed.
    By "sealed wax" I mean sealed product...it's just an industry term even for current stuff. None of it is actually the old wax from years ago. If you ever buy any of the actual old wax stuff, make sure it is authenticated by the Baseball Card Exchange.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1404

I’ve been making a killing on NBA top shot. Anyone try that ?

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    I’ve been making a killing on NBA top shot. Anyone try that ?
    No, I haven't. Will post a few of my Buys. Will let people evaluate and we can see how the investments play out over time:

*Bought last week. 2018 Donruss Optic Luka Doncic - Shock parallel. PSA 9, $400.

...I don't buy much modern at all. Just wanted to get on the Luka train. Feel like I got in the lower end of the market range.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

I heard it just became harder to get cards graded now?

ChuckyTheGoat

*Also bought: 1972 Staubach RC. Raw - ungraded.

Like a lot of these older cards, there were flaws. But the corners/edges were great! Very sharp.

Centering issues. Left/right was about 20% off (which isn't bad). Top/bottom was almost to the edge.

I tried to mentally calculate a rating. I think it would be 7 (** = miscut), so I mentally think the value would be like a 5 or better.

Bought it at show. So, no picture. I personally MUCH prefer to buy at a show:

1) Much better to visually check the card live.
    2) Can normally broker a much better deal live than online.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    I heard it just became harder to get cards graded now?
    Yep. Digg, that's the big story right now.

PSA has the best bang for the buck. Some weeks ago, they doubled their prices. Now, they Suspended service and are halting submissions for the near future.

Professional grading will be the big story in coming months. SGC grading fees just went thru the roof, and they're not even that good.

Some new grading companies entering the mkt. STay tuned.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DiggityDaggityDo

ChuckyTheGoat

Soccer cards gaining steam. The prices for young striker Halaand can't be real. Crazy.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

I've been getting zion williamsons Jordan's lebrons and kobe
    Baseball tatis and Trout
    Football mahomes Brady herbert Tua and brees just buying and sniping at auctions . Not big stuff but I'm seeing the market grow. A lot is because of disposable income of late and the influx of Millianials into the market . I went to Target the other day and 25 people were in line waiting for sport cards to be dropped . 1 (SKU) per person of 1 type allowed. Mgr said maybe 8 will get all the card boxes. You cannot buy cards at stores anymore..with sites like whatnot out there it's getting Big. I used to have a Sports card little business going back when I was 25 ran a few tables at local swap meet in Seattle. Still have boxes of product . I will be going thru that the next few weeks as I have 50s/60s/70s/80s that would catch some nice bids at auction from what I have seen . Good luck out there and Great thread.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

Where's the best place to sell decent cards from the 70's and early 80's?

I have a few hundred pretty good cards from that era, but don't want to go through the hassle of selling individually on Ebay or whatever

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post

I have a few hundred pretty good cards from that era, but don't want to go through the hassle of selling individually on Ebay or whatever
    Unfortunately unless you advertise a lot sale going to a sportscard shop you will get 60% of your market value max..and they only take mint. Find a sports card forum and post up a lot sale is my guess. Posting on eBay is what I am about to start with. Just small time tho learning the process before I start buying bulk boxes and selling packs..thats where the $$$ is. You can buy a cheap 70$ box of nba hoops blaster box with 11 packs. And people will bid on individual packs at 18-22$ sometimes never under 10$ ever in eBay its just a process.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18785

Cool thread, while my best cards aren’t in the status as a lot of you others, I have 3 topps matrix rookies of Lebron, D Wade, Carmelo on same card, and 2010 Bowman blue border Russell Wilson only 399 made baseball card.

BarkingToad

To get top dollar you probably need to sell eBay, Craigslist, or something similar.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by BarkingToad View Post
    To get top dollar you probably need to sell eBay, Craigslist, or something similar.
    Yes that's where the $$ is . I think with the influx of crypto currency and fast money a ton of millennial have jumped into the market flooding it with cash. Not to mention the stimulus.
    Has anyone been on the whatnot app? It's great . If you do let em know I sent ya I am trying to get a sellers permit with them. Hundreds of people watching live streams of card breaks spending up to 200-300 a pack trying to get a jordan or kobe rookie and like I said 2021 nba hoops packs out of a 11 pack blaster box are being bid up to 22$ a pack

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

I can't believe that there are still so many packs available

BarkingToad

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHAWKHARRY View Post
    Yes that's where the $$ is . I think with the influx of crypto currency and fast money a ton of millennial have jumped into the market flooding it with cash. Not to mention the stimulus.
    Has anyone been on the whatnot app? It's great . If you do let em know I sent ya I am trying to get a sellers permit with them. Hundreds of people watching live streams of card breaks spending up to 200-300 a pack trying to get a jordan or kobe rookie and like I said 2021 nba hoops packs out of a 11 pack blaster box are being bid up to 22$ a pack
    Agree, it seems like the market went nuts since the FIRST stimulus checks. Sports cards, stock market, crypto, and particularly meme stocks are big beneficiaries from stimulus payments. My thought process has totally changed recently where I’m viewing sports cards and collectibles as a type of currency, that’s just me.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights

Same

JAKEPEAVY21

Soccer cards gaining steam. The prices for young striker Halaand can't be real. Crazy.
    I bought his Topps Chrome Bundesliga PSA 10 rookie around 6 months ago for $675 and it's selling around 4k currently.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

JAKEPEAVY21

Ebay will get you the most views and biggest buyer pool.

ChuckyTheGoat

My thinking is that the 1/31 Goldin auction re-set the mkt.

*Two '86 Jordan Psa10s sold for a figure that was 3x the previous ATH. I think u should view prices as: pre-2/1 vs 2/1 and later.

FWIW, the Jordan prices from that auction may have overshot the fair value. Several sales since then in a more sane range, like $490k to $600k.

jose21_us
    The Miami Connection
    jose21_us's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11176

I have a shit load of cards from the 70/80/90s.... How does the process work on getting them graded?

RockBottom

Quote Originally Posted by jose21_us View Post
    I have a shit load of cards from the 70/80/90s.... How does the process work on getting them graded?
    PSA isn’t taking any more at the moment, they are overwhelmed. Post some pics and I’ll tell you if they are worth grading.

RockBottom

I can't believe that there are still so many packs available
    Where? I haven’t seen any in nine months. People waiting outside overnight to buy them all.

12 Last