CantFeelMyFace
    CantFeelMyFace's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Anyone here play golf?

First time playing a real course yesterday with some friends. 9 holes, had a side bet I could shoot +25 on a pretty hard local course, ended up at +27. I just used some borrowed old crap clubs and had no driver, 1 hybrid, 6,7,8 iron, 1 sand wedge, and a putter.

I am a lefty and my right lower side is extremely sore today, I assume my trunk rotation technique of hitting the ball was way wrong. Is this a common thing to feel for a beginner? Some shots I was having a terrible time getting the ball in the air with the hybrid and even the irons sometimes. Any regular golfers here could give me some pointers?

I am kinda hooked already. going to buy some clubs and start practicing once I heal up.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Tip #1

Don't even touch the driver

Just learn to hit a nice 3 wood straight, get you 220+ down the middle

Game is very simple if the shot off the tee is in the fairway

Tip #2

Lear to hit the irons high in the air, this will help w chipping and short range shots that you need to get on the green. When the high shots land on the green they don't roll off!

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

Soreness is normal if you have never golfed. Good game to learn. I was encouraged be my parents to learn golf as it can be an asset in the business world. My break in course was a par three spot in Compton. Played in junior tournaments and had some minor success. Learned from my peers / never have taken any formal lessons. I have participated in several different Company golf tournaments over the years. Best score for a real course was 82.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 817

Keep your head down, reach back and swing through it. I tend to agree with Minny Fats on not getting caught up on using the driver. A solid 3 hybrid straight on the fairway will serve you just as well. Drivers are fun when you do hammer the ball but realistically, you will only go so far anyway. Drivers are a good show on the driving range but staying straight and in play is what matters on the actual course. Loft is key. Get a nice 54-56 degree wedge to get you of many situations. You don’t want the ball dancing too much on the green without your putter.

MaltedHopsFrenzy
    MaltedHopsFrenzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7439

WTF?
    What "real course" only has 9 holes?
    Was there a giant clown head and a spinning windmill you had to navigate through also?

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

I've never been able to master the driver. I have to use a three wood which is a trust worthy tool in my game. Still I would give up 20 / 50 yards to other players that had there Drivers down. I make it a rule not to bet. To easy to be hustled.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by thezbar View Post
    I've never been able to master the driver. I have to use a three wood which is a trust worthy tool in my game. Still I would give up 20 / 50 yards to other players that had there Drivers down. I make it a rule not to bet. To easy to be hustled.
    If I’m gonna golf I have to drink liquor & get loose 1st because of my weak lower back & early stages of MS. Anyways I love my driver & can hit it fairly straight & long more times than not, but the problem is let’s say majority of the holes are short par 4’s anywhere from 350-420 what happens I totally f u c k up the next shot anywhere from 80 yards or less it’s those 1/2 & 3/4 shots I wreak & sometimes shank I get so mad at times lol piping a nice long drive 290-315 & skull the next short shit shot. I’d be better off playing the black tees for full approach shots, but I never do because no one else usually does in my group.

mr.ed
    mr.ed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4218

You'll never get good unless you hit the driver well. It's also the most fun club to hit. As Hank Haney often says, distance is everything! I've never played with a decent golfer who doesn't hit the driver on a regular basis. As soon as a see a guy start hitting hybrids and woods off the tee I write him off. I'm sure there are some out there who can get around hitting driver, but if you want to get good in this game hitting the big stick is essential. Don't delay in learning how to hit it properly.

CantFeelMyFace
    CantFeelMyFace's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Quote Originally Posted by MaltedHopsFrenzy View Post
    WTF?
    What "real course" only has 9 holes?
    Was there a giant clown head and a spinning windmill you had to navigate through also?
    It was an 18 hole course...we only paid for 9 holes...not too bright are you guy?

WinDove
    WinDove's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 719

Tried it once long ago, hit myself with the club, bad times....

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Fatty giving out golf tips

So assuming par on 9 holes is 35-36 and you shot 27 over? So that’s a 63 for the front 9, 126 total. Learn to hit the driver and hit the range and practice your short game, 100 yards and in. Your score will go down drastically

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

Sounds like you play golf like you play poker.
    Look for your nearest SBR golf course you'll be a pro there.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Geez, some of you guys are ruthless. The guy said it was his first time--he's not going to competing for the US Amateur title after nine holes. Have fun Cant. It's a good game, albeit incredibly frustrating.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4178

You fukkers should have the next SBR bash at a golf resort. Now, that would be a day of a days Vakko. I can't imagine what that course would look like when all is said and done. It better be private to only SBR attendees because I'm pretty sure that would chase many normal people off the course for a refund.

slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10282

Quote Originally Posted by CantFeelMyFace View Post
    First time playing a real course yesterday with some friends. 9 holes, had a side bet I could shoot +25 on a pretty hard local course, ended up at +27. I just used some borrowed old crap clubs and had no driver, 1 hybrid, 6,7,8 iron, 1 sand wedge, and a putter.

I am a lefty and my right lower side is extremely sore today, I assume my trunk rotation technique of hitting the ball was way wrong. Is this a common thing to feel for a beginner? Some shots I was having a terrible time getting the ball in the air with the hybrid and even the irons sometimes. Any regular golfers here could give me some pointers?

I am kinda hooked already. going to buy some clubs and start practicing once I heal up.
    Seriously, if you are thinking about taking up golf..?.. No matter what anyone tells you, take a series of lessons from someone recommended.. I promise you will not regret it.. Of all the millions and hundreds of millions of golfers out there, maybe 10% break 100 on a regular basis.. Without lessons and an understanding of the hundred aspects of a golf swing, you will be totally frustrated and disenchanted with the challenge of the game..

Notice the short lives of pro golfers .. How difficult it is to remain consistent.. very few do..

Without lessons, you will only be practicing all the wrong moves. And practice makes perfect, right.?.

It’s going to take you years with lessons to be consistent. Without them, decades.. It is an expensive hobby and don’t waste your money.. Try to have fun because you will be frustrated. Especially when you make that perfect shot. It may take another 100 swings to duplicate it..

Good Luck....... Once your hooked, it will take time and money to improve.. To say nothing about the defeat and frustration..

BrickJames
    Action
    BrickJames's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8914

I usually get out a couple times a year. Fun to gamble on. And fun to hit on the hot drink girls and give them fat tips. It's like stripper training for them.