mwgmwalker
    mwgmwalker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 355

So being sued the hell...anyine had this experience before?

So last oct I think I got into a fender bender no big thing but got call today that now they are suing for every child that was in the car. Insurance is handling it now but wtf has anyone ever had this experience?

mwgmwalker

Every child that was in there car fyi

It was just me in my car

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

This is why car insurance is so high.

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    The first thing I thought of was those freaking commercials

“In a wreck need a check”

Okieirish
    Okieirish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2970

Was anybody really hurt in the wreck?

mwgmwalker

Not that I’m aware of

mwgmwalker

Like I said it was back in oct

I thought this was finished

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

someone tried to involve their vehicle in an accident I had as a teenager was months after the incident thing is whoever it was their vehicle wasnt involved in the accident so that didnt work

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

Are they suing you in excess of your policy limits?

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Are they suing you in excess of your policy limits?
    As far as I know...not yet

Insurance is handling it for now. It goes to court next week

Trying to get $25000 per person in the car

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Ok so they are suing your insurance company. I would let them handle it. If they are suing you and your insurance company is defending you with a reservation of rights, then you need a lawyer.

Salam
    Salam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10044

Sounds like a broke family

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    For profit publicly traded companies with share holders are why it's so high.

There's a reason the USA pays 3-10 times as much for drugs as any other countries.

We are the only developed nation IN THE WORLD without health care for all.

The.
    Only.
    One.

I work in the insurance industry so I know what I'm talking about.

This same idea applies to car insurance. Little piddle payouts for being sued are barely a drop on the bottom line. It's the ridiculous profit margins that kill us all
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bosseman22

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

It's most likely bc your insurance provider refused to pay or their demands were bullsht. Most likely somewhere in the middle. You don't have to do anything, the insurance attorneys will handle it unless they are suing for more than the policy coverage.

KnuckleHeadz
    KnuckleHeadz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4511

I believe they have 4-5 years to file a suit against you

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

2 things

Was it classified as a crash or accident? If accident then u have no liability in a no fault state

You'll be deposed but that's as far as it'll go. The value of non death vehicle is nominal

Just go about your life you're fine

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

I've been in 4 or 5 wrecks

A couple were very bad

Don't answer questions

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Something isn't adding up here.

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    It's most likely bc your insurance provider refused to pay or their demands were bullsht. Most likely somewhere in the middle. You don't have to do anything, the insurance attorneys will handle it unless they are suing for more than the policy coverage.
    So the limits are 25000 per person for injuries thats hows much it covers.

It was a huge van there were like 5 or 6 kids in it.

Its just crazy.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

that's why I tell clients take video on the phone showing the little fukkers running around like nothing's wrong -- except for the spaghettio stains on their fukkin' clothes -- at the accident scene, film the minimal damage, film the driver and his f'n whore ass spouse showing nothing in the f'n world is wrong with them, so when they raise bullshit claims like this after the fact, you can tell them this highly technical legal phrase I learned in law school : "go fuk yourselves!!!!".....

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

I had this encounter, my ins company settled for 25k my limit...state farm protected me

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by mwgmwalker View Post
    So the limits are 25000 per person for injuries thats hows much it covers.

It was a huge van there were like 5 or 6 kids in it.

Its just crazy.
    Auto policies don't allow for an unlimited number of payouts. There is a max on the total liability payout so if your policy is 25k per person you have a cap of 50k per accident if we assume that your policy is as stated. If they are going for 6 kids times 25k you are going to exceed the 50k cap and possibly have some personal liability. Now if you don't have shit they probably won't bother you, but if you have money/house/stuff you might be in for a surprise.

I'm confused about the whole "going to court" statement. Going to court for what? Trial? Pre-Trial Motions? I am not a lawyer, but if you are going to trial you might want to find out what the worst case scenario is if you lose. Just sayin'. Good luck -this stuff sucks.

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Donk View Post
    that's why I tell clients take video on the phone showing the little fukkers running around like nothing's wrong -- except for the spaghettio stains on their fukkin' clothes -- at the accident scene, film the minimal damage, film the driver and his f'n whore ass spouse showing nothing in the f'n world is wrong with them, so when they raise bullshit claims like this after the fact, you can tell them this highly technical legal phrase I learned in law school : "go fuk yourselves!!!!".....

Ha Yea they were running around

Bullshit

Okieirish
    Okieirish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2970

You need to talk to your insurance company to be sure its all good. If they are going above and beyond what your insurance can pay, you may need an attorney. If the lawsuit states you personally in it , they may be going after you. If they do not have real proof of medical bills etc. the judge may likely give them a minimal amount. Your insurance company lawyer should battle to limit what they are getting. They will know its BS and I doubt they can get 25k apiece. They are probably trying to max out what the insurance can pay. It might be 50k or 100k total. Did those people hire some bulldog lawyers off the TV?

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Okieirish View Post
    You need to talk to your insurance company to be sure its all good. If they are going above and beyond what your insurance can pay, you may need an attorney. If the lawsuit states you personally in it , they may be going after you. If they do not have real proof of medical bills etc. the judge may likely give them a minimal amount. Your insurance company lawyer should battle to limit what they are getting. They will know its BS and I doubt they can get 25k apiece. They are probably trying to max out what the insurance can pay. It might be 50k or 100k total. Did those people hire some bulldog lawyers off the TV?
    Thanks for the info

The insurance lady called today but haven’t gotten back to her yet. It would be interesting to know if they did hire one of the tv lawyers

mwgmwalker

So just talked to insurance lady

They are claiming 7 injured people

Freaking crazy

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

Why did you hit the van then if you don't wanna be hassled by this or pay? The easiest way to avoid problems is not to cause them in the first place. Were you dillying around on your phone, texting, fbing, snaping etc.? You better hope you weren't cause the investigators can easily find that out. If you were drunk, high or using your phone during the accident, you're fuked.

You need to find out if you live in an at fault or no fault state. That's a huge determining factor in insurance. Did anybody go to the hospital? That's another huge factor. Was there visible damage to the vehicles?

I'm well versed in this arena. My cousin is an insurance adjuster and I have a close friend that's an attorney. If you own a house or nice car then you could potentially have big problems from this. If you rent and drive a beater car, don't lose any sleep cause even if they were potentially awarded huge damages against you, it'd be damn hard for them to satisfy it.

I probably sound like an ass but I'm just asking tough ?'s cause I know a fair amount about this topic.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Don't tailgate...

mwgmwalker

Quote Originally Posted by habitualwinning View Post
    Why did you hit the van then if you don't wanna be hassled by this or pay? The easiest way to avoid problems is not to cause them in the first place. Were you dillying around on your phone, texting, fbing, snaping etc.? You better hope you weren't cause the investigators can easily find that out. If you were drunk, high or using your phone during the accident, you're fuked.

You need to find out if you live in an at fault or no fault state. That's a huge determining factor in insurance. Did anybody go to the hospital? That's another huge factor. Was there visible damage to the vehicles?

I'm well versed in this arena. My cousin is an insurance adjuster and I have a close friend that's an attorney. If you own a house or nice car then you could potentially have big problems from this. If you rent and drive a beater car, don't lose any sleep cause even if they were potentially awarded huge damages against you, it'd be damn hard for them to satisfy it.

I probably sound like an ass but I'm just asking tough ?'s cause I know a fair amount about this topic.
    Nothing like that just making a turn in traffic. They actually aren’t suing me. I got more info they are suing the insurance. I talked to the insurance lady that it got moved too she sounded pretty confident that it won’t go to court said this was standard after a wreck looking for cash stuff.

mwgmwalker

The commercials are on all the time at least where I live.

In a wreck need a check

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

I think those commercials are on in every city in America. At least all the ones I've lived in had them.

It's really not that funny though. Depending on how you hit them, they could seriously be injured. You only have to hit someone at about 10mph for them to get severe whiplash. If there was any rotational force such as in a tbone, you can do serious damage to someone even at low speeds. It's simple physics, mass x velocity = force. Even small cars weigh thousands of pounds. Trucks even more.

Children are particularly vulnerable in crashes cause seats and seatbelts are designed for an average adult male that's about 5' 9" and 150 pounds. The average kid and woman for that matter aren't close to those stats

Hopefully your insurance has you covered like you said. Even soft tissue injury bills add up fast and 7 people is a ton for 1 accident. If all they had was infact soft tissue damage though and you have at least standard 25k/50k liability insurance you should be fine. However, no guarantees in this industry. You have to judge each case on its' own merits. Soft tissue usually pays out in the $3k - $10k range for 1 person. Even a petty nuisance claim is like $2k minimum per with a lawyer in tow. Having a lawyer in tow is going to automatically net them at least double what they would get negotiating with the insurance company on their own. It's not uncommon for a good lawyer to triple the amount someone would get talking to the insurance on their own. This is a big industry.