DISTROYA
    DISTROYA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2132

Fastest computer/laptop question

At work I need something really fast and my desktop is very slow and freezes quite a bit. Can someone please recommend me a good carry with me/large screen pad type computer where I can access lines very fast and switch pages with lightning speed

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I think that same or very similarly spec'd puter is on sale at Costco for about 200$ less

DISTROYA

Thanks guys so it has to be a gaming computer to handle all the different books and dynamic lines?

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13851

Quote Originally Posted by DISTROYA View Post
    Thanks guys so it has to be a gaming computer to handle all the different books and dynamic lines?
    No just something with a large SSD drive would be ideal. I like Lenovo a lot so maybe give them a look. 16gb RAM is what you would want.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

At work I need something really fast and my desktop is very slow and freezes quite a bit. Can someone please recommend me a good carry with me/large screen pad type computer where I can access lines very fast and switch pages with lightning speed

I guess the first step in accessing would be to test your internet connectivity speed at a site like:

https://www.speedtest.net/

Your lag could 100% be on the telecom side.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

RAM and GPU speed along with an SSD for boot speed are what you are looking for. It doesn't need to be a gaming computer but those typically come with good RAM and GPU usually.

DISTROYA

so at work i got:
    png=957
    download mbps 10.13
    upload 11.76

pretty shitty numbers yes? Sorry not familiar but much different results at home
    png 12
    download mbps 208.08
    upload 23.70 (my homes figures which im very happy with.)

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

That's slow at work.

DISTROYA

apparently I signed up for 200 download speed I am getting only 45. The technician showed up and said that it may be due to the browser I am using. I told him what the hell difference does it make what browser I am using shoulsnt matter. He told me to use Microsoft 10+ edge which replaces Explorer it seems to be a little faster. I'm so fed up with spectrum

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

Your post is unclear. A desktop is a large computer without a screen or monitor. They're normally around 400 X 300 X 150 mm, they're heavy, and not normally moved. Their size allows for better and more durable components so desktop computers outperform similar specification laptop computers. Laptops are more like 300 X 200 X 30 mm with flip-open lids that have in-built screens. Their dimensions mean mean more expensive, lesser-performing components.

A download speed of 10 mbps isn't fast but it's more than adequate to stream sports and tv in HD without glitches. Your issues will likely be processor and RAM related. Processor speeds can be compared here:

cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

I can watch a sports stream in HD from a laptop to my tv, (via a HD lead), that's 95-97% perfect with a 1350 rated processor and a single 4GB RAM stick. (However, the 3-5% glitches is really annoying). This isn't enough to switch between internet pages at lighting speed. The absolute minimum processor rating you should be looking for is 2300. I would strongly recommend keeping to a 3400 minimum. If you can't exactly identify the processor - don't buy it! An I7 processor could be 1200 or 9200. You have to know the exact model. You can get by with a single 4GB stick of RAM. Sticks come in 1, 2, 4, & 8. You could probably find a 16GB stick at an outrageous price but 99.9% of computer users wouldn't need it. Be advised that a single 4 is better than 2 X 2. A single 8 is better than 2 X 4. The minimum i'd consider is 2 X 4, but that is honestly as much as most people will need, (unless they're playing online computer games for money). Don't be concerned about storage memory. Even 120GB is normally more than most need. If you need more you can buy huge capacity external hard drives, (additional memory storage devices), cheaply for when you need them. More permanent storage memory will slow your computer down. A big memory isn't by definition a huge plus. For reference SSD memory is faster/better than HDD memory, but this should be way down your priority list.

I would definitely buy 2nd-hand on a site like Gumtree unless you're willing to burn several hundred dollars for NEW prestige. If you don't need to move the computer then prefer a desktop to a laptop. Beyond that I recommend buying a computer that has a HDMI socket and use a HD cable to connect it to your tv. I bought a 2nd-hand desktop with a 4500 rated processor, single 8GB RAM 6 months ago for £150, (about $200). It's complete overkill.

DISTROYA

thanks semibluff. I have one of those things were monitor and drive are all in one. AMD-E1 HP. Sorry not familiar with the specs. How can I check the specs on the computer without a manual? ( No clue where it is bought this like 6-7 years ago)

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

thanks semibluff. I have one of those things were monitor and drive are all in one. AMD-E1 HP. Sorry not familiar with the specs. How can I check the specs on the computer without a manual? ( No clue where it is bought this like 6-7 years ago)
    Ironically as i post this i'm actually using my 'last-choice', (#4), machine with an AMD E1 processor, (New SSD drive and new battery and it's still only worth $60). I've got 1 of the better E1 processors but trust me here - all the E1 processors are really old and very slow. They're reliable and fill basic needs, but that's all. Your processor will probably be in the 650 - 900 range. It'll be at the heart of all your computer issues.

A bunch of decent free programs will provide you with machine specifications, Wise Care 365 or Advanced System Care might well be the best known or most obvious. Personally I would advise most people to download Belarc Advisor, (also free), even if it's only for 1 use every month. It'll list pretty much every detail and license on your machine along with any missing updates. It's worth printing off the details and keeping them before ever having anyone mess with/repair the machine. That way if they take out something good and replace it with crap you'll know about it.
    Last edited by semibluff; 01-10-20 at 03:29 PM.

DISTROYA

Much appreciated.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

There's a YouTuber named Kristopher Yee who does videos about building/upgrading computers for pretty cheap. It's worth a watch if you want to learn.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

get a used HP elitebook with 16gb of ram and a docking station for dual screen or even 3 screens. Sounds like you're going to be opening a lot of browser tabs. 8gb probably enough. Use docking station to run dual screen and when you want to move just unlatch it from docking station and go.
    Last edited by brooks85; 01-10-20 at 11:58 PM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Work connection is rubbish. That ping of 900+ will make everything seem slow even before the 10Mbit download speed.