Lord_Mar7
    Lord_Mar7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 309

Ballet Wallet by Ballet Crypto - A Bobby C. Lee Production Mintery Co.

First, I'd like to preface that I am new to crypto currency. My plan is to put 1 BTC on one of these offline cards and not touch it for 5-10 years.

https://www.balletcrypto.com/en/

In essence, it is an offline cold storage stainless steel credit card like device that has both the private encrypted key and wallet passphrase written/etched onto the card itself. Many would consider that highly unethical/unsecure in the crypto world.

The biggest question I have is - can Bobby Lee and his company be trusted? Are the keys/passphrases generated really destroyed/lost forever after his company generates them?

If the answer is YES, then essentially you are holding your own crypto bank account in your hands with zero backup. Lose the card, and you lose your crypto currency. Bobby and his company seem to be marketing this as a first-step to introducing crypto currency to the mass market. He has said on several occasions that he views this as more of a gift card type production and not a "dump all your money onto this card" adventure.

------

PS - Bobby's new company Ballet Crypto operates under Mintery Inc, registered in Las Vegas as a Delaware Foreign Corporation. He is a pioneer in the crypto world, recently selling off China's first, and once the world's largest, bitcoin exchange company BTCChina. Bobby's brother Charlie is the creator of the crypto currency Litecoin. Bobby has formerly worked for Yahoo and Walmart China, while Charlie is a former employee of Google and Coinbase.
    Last edited by Lord_Mar7; 11-13-19 at 12:09 PM.

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

I wouldn’t trust a Chinaman with my money.

They are a bitch with when it comes to financial matters and such.

Lord_Mar7

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    I wouldn’t trust a Chinaman with my money.

They are a bitch with when it comes to financial matters and such.
    Interesting. You may not have a choice though.

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

just drop it on a cold storage device like a trezor/etc. and put it in a safe deposit box...I have 2 BTC put away for a rainy day like that

Lord_Mar7

Quote Originally Posted by mngambler View Post
    just drop it on a cold storage device like a trezor/etc. and put it in a safe deposit box...I have 2 BTC put away for a rainy day like that
    Nice - you have to link that to a computer to get the crypto out and/or deposit correct? Possibly have to update firmware, etc?