Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Public or Private Network?

This sounds like a stupid question because the answer seems obvious to me, but I just wanted to check with some tech savvy members to make sure.

I'm on my home computer. I right click my little network icon on the task bar and bring up "network properties."

Being at home, would I select private network or public?

I would quickly say private but this wording that I saw online is a little contradictory.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Private networks, Windows enables network discovery features. Other devices can see your Windows computer on the network, allowing for easy file sharing and other networked features. Windows will also use the Homegroup feature to share files and media between your PCs.

Do they mean devices like a printer? I certainly don't want my downstairs or next door neighbor "discovering" my computer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Public networks–like those in coffee shops–you don’t want your computer to be seen by others, though, or share your files with them. So Windows turns off these discovery features. it won’t appear to other devices on the network and won’t try to discover them. Even if you’ve set up a Homegroup on your PC, it won’t be enabled on a public network.

I don't want (naturally, like us all) my computer to be seen by others, or discoverable by others, and certainly not share my file with others.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My guess is that being at home I would select private, but like I said, I just wanted to check with some SBR members who know this stuff.......Thanks

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Always private

Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    Always private
    Thought so. Thanks.