VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20121

Police: 2 mothers working to stop gun violence shot, killed in Chicago

https://www.fox5vegas.com/police-mot...A9FIagdVV0isyY

CHICAGO (AP) — Two women who worked with a group called Mothers Against Senseless Killings to try to stop gun violence in their South Side Chicago neighborhood were killed by bullets that police don't believe were intended for them on the same corner where they would often hand out food and bring children to play.

The gunfire on Friday night was instead meant for a man who is affiliated with a Chicago street gang and recently got out of prison, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. The 58-year-old man, who was struck in the arm in the shooting and whose name hasn't been released, is not cooperating with police, Guglielmi said.

"We have no information to suggest they were the intended targets," he said Tuesday, adding that police are still seeking leads in the case. No arrests have been made.

The deaths of 26-year-old Chantell Grant and 35-year-old Andrea Stoudemire in the Englewood neighborhood served as a grim reminder of the kind of violence that led them to join Mothers Against Senseless Killings. The anti-violence group launched five years ago following the shooting death of another young mother at the same corner.

"That's why we're out here seven days a week ... trying to create a safe place where people can learn to be neighbors and not kill each other," said the group's founder, Tamar Manasseh.

She said she's not willing to accept the notion that Grant, a mother of four, and Stoudemire, who had three children, were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"They killed mothers on a corner where mothers sit every day," Manasseh said. "You don't have mothers killed in a place that is sacred to mothers and not take that as a message."

The drive-by shooting followed what has become a familiar pattern in Chicago, where more people are fatally shot than in any other city in the U.S. Though homicides have decreased in recent years and are on a pace to drop again this year, police statistics show there have been 281 in 2019 as of July 28. And during the weekend in which the two women died, 48 people were shot in the city, eight of them fatally.

A 23-year-old woman was shot in the leg, back and face on June 25 by someone in a black vehicle in the same block where Grant and Stoudemire were gunned down, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. The woman survived, and police said there is no indication that shooting was connected to the one that killed the two mothers.

Grant and Stoudemire were found lying on the sidewalk after a spray of bullets came from inside a blue SUV, police said.

Manasseh said the women had been on the corner for hours Friday handing out food to other mothers and keeping watch over a vacant lot the group has turned into a play area for neighborhood children. She said Grant and Stoudemire had finished up for the day and had begun walking to a store to get food for themselves and their children when they were shot.

"They can't even walk to the store without getting killed," said Manasseh, her voice rising. "They were killed for parenting."

PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10667

The Night Chicago Died
    and again

VeggieDog

I respect residents that are trying to improve their neighborhood.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Sad

RIP ladies

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Let me guess, this doesn't count in all of those "factual" hate crime statistics I read about ad nauseam

Good black people should be given all of the financial help they need to get out of the ghetto
    Then cut off all aid of any kind to the savages there, ala "Escape From New York"

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Englewood is the worst neighborhood in Chicago.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Weren't 9 killed and 35 wounded last weekend alone?

Need more police
    Need more money
    Need more democrats
    Need more gun laws

LOL

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Weren't 9 killed and 35 wounded last weekend alone?

Need more police
    Need more money
    Need more democrats
    Need more gun laws

LOL
    yup

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11546

Chicago what do you expect? Liberal run City. High crime rate..

Everything goes to shit when you elect Dems and Libs to run the city or State.. Nothing to see here..

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime

Salam
    Salam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10026

Chiraq is alive and well

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Need more guns

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Let me guess, this doesn't count in all of those "factual" hate crime statistics I read about ad nauseam

Good black people should be given all of the financial help they need to get out of the ghetto
    Then cut off all aid of any kind to the savages there, ala "Escape From New York"
    We've never agreed on anything

I'm okay with this.

Give the ghetto incentive to leave

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Chicago what do you expect? Liberal run City. High crime rate..

Everything goes to shit when you elect Dems and Libs to run the city or State.. Nothing to see here..

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime
    All big cities are liberal.

Highly educated, highly intelligent, high-income people live there

VeggieDog

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post

We've never agreed on anything

I'm okay with this.

Give the ghetto incentive to leave
    But how do you separate the wheat from the chaff?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11546

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    All big cities are liberal.

Highly educated, highly intelligent, high-income people live there
    And where crime, homeless, drugs and encouraged there too. I live in So Cal I know this first hand.. Got rats and disease and run off into the Ocean thru the storm drains?

It's a shit hole here in down town LA now. Rats, tents, disease, piss and shiiit on the street sidewalks..