Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 851

Anyone ever get a scam call claiming there's a subpeona for you?

My girlfriend was checking her messages & had missed a crazy voice mail from 2 weeks ago where a woman from an (855) area code claims there a subpeona or summons on her desk for her boyfriend (she knew my full name) & it would be served on the 8th. She left a number in Texas for me to call (I'm in Florida). Freaked out my girlfriend. I knew it was an obvious scam. This happen to anyone else? The call was received in early July.
    Last edited by Johnnythunder; 07-15-19 at 01:34 AM.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3537

Happened to my cousin. Same subpoena BS thing. If you owe money, skipped out on a credit card, anything like that then 99.9% it's a collection agency scam. They can get very inventive trying to locate people and will try this type of scare tactic. Truth is that no law enforcement at any level conducts those types of information gathering tactics.

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 851

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Happened to my cousin. Same subpoena BS thing. If you owe money, skipped out on a credit card, anything like that then 99.9% it's a collection agency scam. They can get very inventive trying to locate people and will try this type of scare tactic. Truth is that no law enforcement at any level conducts those types of information gathering tactics.
    Wonder how they would get my girlfriends phone number & know I'm her boyfriend.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

SBR calling......your PRO membership check bounced.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3537

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythunder View Post
    Wonder how they would get my girlfriends phone number & know I'm her boyfriend.
    You have facebook, twitter, any other kind of social media? That's why I don't do any social networking.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Dude , i was on Facebbok last night , was watching a video , a fukkin advertisement commercial pops up , like it does on every video except this was not normal .
    Phone messages start arriving as soon as commercial ends .
    I get 2 text on my Registration Code for Bumble , yet i didnt sign up for shit . Simply had a pop up infomercial come on . So i assume FB , being the dirty bastsrd it is , that gives them access to register you since my cell # was listed .
    Every social media company is selling their soul for money .
    I removed my number from FB , put in
    1-Area Code-382-5968 (F u C k Y o u) , everyone should do it . They'll have 1000's with the same number , although unlucky for the one who does have that number taken .
    Last edited by Slipknot26; 07-15-19 at 05:47 AM.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I got one about my social security number being suspended or some shit. Sucks that they probably fool so many people with this shit. How do you suspend a social security number anyway? Just a dumb, obvious scam to get me to give them my number.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

It's a debt agency

Using social media to locate you

Will send complaint (small claims usually) if you give info

Could be old medical, credit card, unpaid storage unit, bounced check, etc somewhere from old residence where mail is being returned (hence they cant serve you)

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1470

there are programs like accurint that make looking up peoples numbers just based off their name, past area lived ,relatives, etc. It gives you all of their numbers. I use it a lot in commercial real estate. You can get in serious trouble if you try and look up celebs info. Some a hole at my company looked up bieber and mayweather one day and we got a big warning the next day.