nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

What car would you buy 20k to 25k

Corolla 20k..canry 23k...accord 26k any why..any others ?

eaglesfan371
    The great game of POT...LIMIT...OMAHA
    eaglesfan371's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Bought 2016 Honda Civic 15k miles for $16,000 last year. 34 average mpg and I have a heavy foot. Love it, not a single issue.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Great feedback

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Wouldn't buy any 20-25k car. But I would lease for $200 a month payment.

jts1207
    jts1207's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Wouldn't buy any 20-25k car. But I would lease for $200 a month payment.
    No you wouldn't.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    No you wouldn't.
    Let me rephrase that....

If you could get a vehicle that's sticker priced 28k+ and you're only paying $200 a month.... you're ahead of the residual value game by far.

$28,000 vehicle
    -$4,800 for 24 months.

That vehicles depreciation after 2 years would be around 18-19k easily. Especially after you beat it up with about 20,000 worth of mileage. It's a no brainer to lease.

Again, you're way ahead of the game.

Most people can't find that deal though.... you need to call around... especially 4-5 days before the month's end.
    Points Awarded:

MadTiger gave TheMoneyShot 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

2003 Terminator Mustang.

Last edited by Kermit; 05-31-19 at 10:48 PM.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

20k to 30k I would go toyota tacoma, chevy colorado, nissan frontier, ford ranger, etc.

Let me rephrase that....

If you could get a vehicle that's sticker priced 28k+ and you're only paying $200 a month.... you're ahead of the residual value game by far.

$28,000 vehicle
    -$4,800 for 24 months.

That vehicles depreciation after 2 years would be around 18-19k easily. Especially after you beat it up with about 20,000 worth of mileage. It's a no brainer to lease.

Again, you're way ahead of the game.

Most people can't find that deal though.... you need to call around... especially 4-5 days before the month's end.

Good breakdown.

They say the way to do it is to finance through a credit union or something other than the car dealership(cut out the middleman).

Can't say I'm particularly savvy on this.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14272

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan371 View Post
    Bought 2016 Honda Civic 15k miles for $16,000 last year. 34 average mpg and I have a heavy foot. Love it, not a single issue.
    You Uber in that ?

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    20k to 30k I would go toyota tacoma, chevy colorado, nissan frontier, ford ranger, etc.

Good breakdown.

They say the way to do it is to finance through a credit union or something other than the car dealership(cut out the middleman).

Can't say I'm particularly savvy on this.
    I wasn't good with formulas in regards to auto buying or leasing either.... but basically.... you have to calculate your own risk involved.

We were all taught that buying something.... and making it yours.... was the ultimate goal. Cars in general are put together like sh#$. They are designed for repairs after 36 months and 36,000 miles. The only way to put the ball in your court.... no money down... and lease for around $200 a month. $220 is definitely the limit in my book. Sales people look at you funny when you say your amount... (basically like you're fukking nuts...) but trust me... call dealerships around the last 4-5 days of the month.... they are all hungry for sales...

The key in auto sales... walk in or talk on the phone like you don't need a car. Every salesman looks for the vulnerability in your voice... that you need a new/used car FAST. I always give myself 30-45 days when buying or leasing a car.... you need room for error. I once had a salesman call me back.... 21 days after speaking with him. Totally forgot about our conversation... he was begging for the sale. Naturally he called me 3 days before the end of the month. He needed a quick sale to hit his company goals for the month.

Always be patient with car sales.

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe $18,885 with 15k miles.

I always laugh at the salepeople when they pull the 4 sq bullshit but people are idiots and don't understand the numbers and financing, use an app on your phone and know your numbers, don't fall for their BS.
    Last edited by 5918mike; 06-01-19 at 12:08 AM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

I wasn't good with formulas in regards to auto buying or leasing either.... but basically.... you have to calculate your own risk involved.

We were all taught that buying something.... and making it yours.... was the ultimate goal. Cars in general are put together like sh#$. They are designed for repairs after 36 months and 36,000 miles. The only way to put the ball in your court.... no money down... and lease for around $200 a month. $220 is definitely the limit in my book. Sales people look at you funny when you say your amount... (basically like you're fukking nuts...) but trust me... call dealerships around the last 4-5 days of the month.... they are all hungry for sales...

The key in auto sales... walk in or talk on the phone like you don't need a car. Every salesman looks for the vulnerability in your voice... that you need a new/used car FAST. I always give myself 30-45 days when buying or leasing a car.... you need room for error. I once had a salesman call me back.... 21 days after speaking with him. Totally forgot about our conversation... he was begging for the sale. Naturally he called me 3 days before the end of the month. He needed a quick sale to hit his company goals for the month.

Always be patient with car sales.
    No money down and $200/mo????

Optional
    Optional's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9201

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post

Should be able to do that on the Corolla.

Slow depreciation and huge 2nd hand popularity makes their leases super cheap down here.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1285

Toyota Camry and Corolla the best cars out there for the money. Extremely well built, safe and reliable. Plus, even at high mileage, they hold their resell and trade in value better than Hondas or Nissans.

Hondas are pieces of junk with engines and transmissions that are prone to early failure. Nissans are the former rebranded Datsuns and have the same issues, a cheap made junk ass car with a pretty paint job and terrible mechanical reliability.

And don’t even get me started on Hyundai, Kia or any other Korean made crap out there, don’t waste your money.

unlearn
    unlearn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15307

I drive a 2015 Camry and my wife just bought another Corolla. She drove one for the past 6 years but just upgraded last months. No issues for either of us, just regular maintenance.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

if you are shooting the fun side of shit.....spend about 65 and get a 2013 Aston Martin Vantage S Convert..... That's my next dumb purchase....

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    You Uber in that ?
    Bro you crack me up

eaglesfan371

Worked at enterprise rent a car 4 years ago for a summer.

FYI Toyota vehicles do have longest life however they and Hyundai handled by far the worst with actual driving. I test drove a few cars including Toyota brands last year and my dad agreed it handled awful.

Nissan handled by far the best, followed by Honda and Chevy. However Chevy always gave my branch issues and often were in shop.

If you have good credit, it is not hard to get 2-4% APR loan from major bank. Sometimes dealers can help you get the best interest rates IF you have excellent credit.

My dad who retired last year was in a good mood and lent me $12k at 1% APR for the purchase financing. Created 120 biweekly (4.5 year) amortization schedule for us. Was nice of him to do.

My experiences were only with your typical everyday brands, not any luxury ones.
    Last edited by eaglesfan371; 06-01-19 at 11:58 AM.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Yes, deals are out there.... you can't be afraid to ask.... and tell the salesman what you expect. Again, it's all about what you perceive is "value". Just don't ask Morino about what VALUE is.

Once you cash in on a blockbuster deal... you'll be hooked.

You're saying... how does a dealer do this? Basically... they hook you up with all the incentives that you don't necessarily qualify for. If a salesmen wants a deal.... he will push it. Most people never examine the contract.... I always do because I like to learn.... for example... the salesmen could write up $5,000 of incentives that you don't qualify for.... but... he knows how to rig it so that the dealership gets the deal.... and you get the savings. Again, typically the dealership WILL NOT give you blockbuster deals at the start of the month. If the economy is hungry.... they let the economy spend first. If the economy isn't spending... wait until the last 3-5 days of the month... that's when you get the blockbuster deal. You have to at least call 5 different dealerships around you.... but of course... don't tell them what you're doing. Let them give you the figures first.... then you make your next move.

TheMoneyShot

Again... leasing isn't for everyone because people drive many miles on a daily basis... or in a work week. Most GM and Ford leases are now around 10,000 miles a year. Some people drive 10,000 miles in 6 months. So it wouldn't be wise for you...

I think GM and Ford have a residual value formula on vehicles that come back in at around 20k miles after 2 years. They believe they don't lose anything on the deal. They've used this formula for several years now. But, like I said... if you can have a cheap monthly payment... and beat up a car... and then turn it in.... you're ahead of the game. Totally a no brainer.

eaglesfan371

Again... leasing isn't for everyone because people drive many miles on a daily basis... or in a work week. Most GM and Ford leases are now around 10,000 miles a year. Some people drive 10,000 miles in 6 months. So it wouldn't be wise for you...

I think GM and Ford have a residual value formula on vehicles that come back in at around 20k miles after 2 years. They believe they don't lose anything on the deal. They've used this formula for several years now. But, like I said... if you can have a cheap monthly payment... and beat up a car... and then turn it in.... you're ahead of the game. Totally a no brainer.
    Leases are nice for those who are anti-risk since you never have to worry about an unexpected $2000 car repair.

However, people don't another small rent expense basically but you are correct that is it close to EV of car since cars depreciate rapidly. Personally, I will likely always buy a car that is 2-3 years old, seems to be the best value for my situation (lease not really an option since I like to travel a lot, put 17k miles on car in 1st year).

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Leasing makes sense for people who own a business can be they can write off most of the lease so they save money leasing versus buying an dealing depreciation.

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3002

On a 30-40k vehicle the difference in leasing and buying swings about a grand. Leasing gives you an easy out if the vehicles value isn't there. I lease my work vehicle, I've bought 2 of them, turned 1 in.

turtledoves
    turtledoves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4603

general question:

do you really need to have a mechanic check it out if it has a bumper to bumper warranty for another 18 months?

Last edited by turtledoves; 06-01-19 at 05:04 PM.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave turtledoves 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

DISTROYA
    DISTROYA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2114

leased 2017 toyota camry for 260/mo, zero down. Good deal, nice car, very happy.
    will check and update sticker.
    Last 3 leases Ive gone through referred car broker. Takes all the dealership crap away.

LMFAO great pic turtle