The General
    The General's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

workout training advice-suggestions

I'm 6' 275 lbs. 50 yrs old. Both knees basically cartilage free blown out. 2 weak lumbar discs, another surgically repaired. Right side hip problem. Arthritis in both shoulders. I have an AFib issue also, but doesn't seem to much a problem.

With that said, I want to get back into a workout routine. Part of the whole health body mind spirit action plan.

The last couple times I began a routine, it resulted in injury so I have this phobia of working out.

I am compulsive so I tend to over do anything I get involved with that satisfies my excitability receptors.

So I'm and old fuk who's out of shape and desires starting up again but with caution to not create unnecessary troubles for my body.

What can you share to motivate me. I'd like a trainer, but can't afford it right now.

I really need some solid cardiovascular work. I'm obviously not looking for Mass at all. Some toning should come with a decent routine.

Thanks for any feedback

Have a wonderful day

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Do you have access to a treadmill?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

walk 4 miles a day

nothing else

Weights for losers

talis99
    talis99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Swimming
    you need a low impact workout routine

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    I'm 6' 275 lbs. 50 yrs old. Both knees basically cartilage free blown out. 2 weak lumbar discs, another surgically repaired. Right side hip problem. Arthritis in both shoulders. I have an AFib issue also, but doesn't seem to much a problem.

With that said, I want to get back into a workout routine. Part of the whole health body mind spirit action plan.

The last couple times I began a routine, it resulted in injury so I have this phobia of working out.

I am compulsive so I tend to over do anything I get involved with that satisfies my excitability receptors.

So I'm and old fuk who's out of shape and desires starting up again but with caution to not create unnecessary troubles for my body.

What can you share to motivate me. I'd like a trainer, but can't afford it right now.

I really need some solid cardiovascular work. I'm obviously not looking for Mass at all. Some toning should come with a decent routine.

Thanks for any feedback

Have a wonderful day
    You came to the right place with this problem sir.

Okay so I am somewhat of a fitness guru.

Here is what I recommend. Go to the store and get yourself a nice yoga mat. One with a little extra cushion for your knees. You will also need the Yoga towel to go over your mat. Highly recommend that. Also pick yourself up a nice pair of swim goggles.

So since your knees are shot and you said you have been injured before in the past... I think you should go with gentle yoga, hot yoga, and deep stretch yoga, a long with swim as many laps in the pool as you can daily. This workout will increase your flexibility, improve your mood, and get you cut.

Post workout I am a big advocate of the steam room/ sauna and protein shake.

Honestly I wouldn’t mess with weights like JJ said.

Now if you get some extra cash I would go on TB12 website and a buy a vibrating foam roller and some of those bands. You can look up videos on youtube as far as what to do with those but they will make you feel a lot better and make you stronger + more flexible.

Diet is important too if you want to lose weight/ get cut but not absolutely necessary just to feel better.

Lately I’ve been trying to eat broccoli, white rice, and ground turkey every meal for lunch and dinner and breakfast I eat 4 eggs and a banana with coffee.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11860

At your weight and with your knee problems and other ailments, I would forget working out for now. Better off trying to drop 50 pounds or so with diet. I would start with intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. Work your way to doing an extended water fast.

The ketogenic diet alone should help your inflammation, but if you want to kick its ass, take 4g or more of curcumin a day. You might not notice any improvement overnight, but stick with it for at least 2 or 3 weeks before giving up if you don't notice improvement right away. I've seen it work wonders.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Quote Originally Posted by talis99 View Post
    Swimming
    you need a low impact workout routine
    ^

Water: less strain on knees and back.

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Need to lose weight first and foremost. I was at 215 6’2 at my highest and my knee hurt everytime I tried to work out. Dropped down to 200 and knee is fine. Can’t imagine what kind of problems related to weight you are dealing with at 6’0 275. At 50 not sure I can tell you anything you don’t alrewdy know but no sodas and eat more vegetables. Most people eat salads but I hate them so I just chop up a shit ton of vegetables on weekend and add broth cook for 20 min with spices I like. Freeze up portions in ziploc bags. And eat them everyday for lunch. Dropped like ten pounds in a week just by making this one change for what I eat at lunch. Got a recipe if you want it. Once you lose like fifty of those pounds you can start thinking about. working out

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

stop eating

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Actually.......some good advice all around here.

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5421

Diet first, exercise second. Start eating healthy and you will notice improvement.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

The more active you become, the more your knees and back will become bigger problems.

Do you know if you are in Afib all the time or just some of the time? I assume if you’re always in it you’re on Aspirin and Coumadin or Xarelto

The General

Great feedback, men. I take xarelto, kraken.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Lift heavy shit at gym, chest, shoulder, lays, leg press, leg extensions

Do elipticle for 30 min (read a book while on it)

Take up a senior oriented sport like doubles tennis, pickleball, swimming

30 lbs will fall off in 100 days

The General

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    walk 4 miles a day

nothing else

Weights for losers
    All at once or broken up?

The Kraken

Man, I rarely say this but check with your cardiologist first since you’re in afib

Last thing you wanna do is put yourself in fast Afib and need to be cardioverted.

They might wanna put you on a beta blocker like Metoprolol or Atenolol if you aren’t already on it.

Other than that, if your heart doc says you're good to go, get after it

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Swim laps daily in a Olympic size public swimming pool. Find one and pay. That's for cardio if you have bad knees.

Stretch first for a few minutes every morning also and do one set of push ups, one set of sit ups, one set of curls and one set military press and side shoulder lifts one after the other!!! You should be breathing hard and starting to sweat, rubber arms..

You can use the same 20 or 30 pound dumb bell weight for each exercise. Make it burn.. Makes it easier and you can do it at home.

I do that every morning but run and do stairs rather then swim, my knees are good.. That stretching, pushups and dumb bell work out lifting every morning takes me 10 minutes and keeps me toned.. I don't get sore either so I can do it every day.

I'm 51 years old.. Diet is everything though.. I should be a personal trainer for older men, I know my shiiit..

Make it a daily religion and never stop doing it!! Work up to it.. If you can only do a few reps start there, do pushups on your knees if you don't have the strength early on.. Do what you can to build up.. You will get strong and stacked in time..

THESE ARE THE EXERCISES BELOW, one set of each and one after the other with NO break in between every morning religiously will get it done!!!! Use some weight and strain, don't go easy!! In one month your body will begin to transform I promise.. After one year you will be a stacked if your diet is solid..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-19-19 at 12:29 AM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

I recommend Creatine and Protein shakes every day also..

This is great stuff, healthy and works below, google both if you don't trust me.. Get it at Rite Aid and or order off Amazon and have it delivered to your home. GNC stuff is not cheap for a reason.. These 2 are must at 50 years of age.. I found them to be the best and I've tried them all.. My nef was a pro body builder also. I learned alot.

Use almond milk and egg whites in the shakes as well.. Forget about water or Milk in them. Throw frozen chopped spinach and frozen blue berries in also. Blend it all up in the blender.. It won't taste that bad. Trust me.. You won't taste the spinach.. Drink half and refrigerate and drink again the next day..

Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-19-19 at 12:31 AM.

The Kraken

Also, might wanna look into getting a Watchmen implanted, get off your Xarelto in 30 days

The General

I do appreciate the information. Thank you, everyone.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19199

Lots and lots of walking, a little stairs if knees can handle it, some weight lifting, eat healthier, chew food longer and slower where you can still enjoy the taste a while. Don't eat anything after 7 pm, if not earlier, several smaller meals throughout the day.

Believe_EMT
    Needs a new laptop
    Believe_EMT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 642

don't we all have a personal trainer?

slightly younger than you, but did drop 30 pounds (mostly through dieting) and now adding lean mass. jeff cavaliere has a fukkton of free ish on youtube. going through one of his 3 month programs now. $99 for the 3 months, does that qualify as a personal trainer? but with your limitations as stated above, you need to focus on just getting starting and losing some pounds. low weight, high rep stuff will help with that.

only thing to add would be what help me was switching to eating 5 SMALL meals daily. every 2.5 - 3 hours. smaller portion, body has easier time digesting, i'm never stuffed or bloated or weighed down, i just don't do heavy meals anymore.

i avoid keto, happy it works for some, but your body will not enjoy that lifestyle over the course of 5, 10, 20 years. carbs are great, mine just mostly come from fruit and veggies. keto flies in the face of evolution. our fragile arses had 70% or more of diet from carbs back when we were pitiful little creatures hiding in the shadows from top of the food chain predators.

start my morning with a bowl of oatmeal with almond butter mixed it, man alive it is tasty!

good luck on your efforts General.

The General

Thank you

BigJay
    BigJay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 229

Swimming or even walking in the pool to get the heart rate up, and a stationary exercise bike is about the only workout I’d do with the knees and extra weight.

Also a better diet to get some of that weight off is key.

If there’s any way you can afford a personal trainer, even for 5-10 sessions just to get you started on an exercise routine that fits your exact needs it would be worth it.

The General

I'm very glad I asked the question. The thread is motivating me.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    walk 4 miles a day

nothing else

Weights for losers
    I don't know what JJ has against weights. You can lift plenty and not be a meat head. It gives you strength, helps with your core and stability and reshapes your body.

Don't run. Hike, eliptical, KETO (you'll drop weight so fast with this that it will keep you motivated).

Get my fitnesspal and track everything you eat.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT drink you calories. No milk, regular soda, juice. Only maybe light beers or booze with diet soda but I think you said you don't drink. Only calories I drink other than booze is unsweetened almond milk, mostly in my protein shakes.

Keto is effective because once you get through the first few days of keto flu (get "lite salt" it's pottasium and salt and helps immensely), you lose cravings. It balances out your blood sugar so you truly only eat when you're hungry.

I was 235 , 5'11" when I was in my early 20's.

I'm months from 40 and just weight myself at a lean 175, and I've held it off for 10 years.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

look bro, i will give you the best advice

1. diet --get your shit together

2. swimming as someone suggested --- no, you wont last 5 minutes and then be done...standing in the pool does not count as "1 hour in the pool"

3. walking? hell no..recipe for disaster at your weight and condition

4. STATIONARY BIKE...very low impact. get your fukkin speed up and push harder when you can. it is very easy to progressively add speed and resistance

eat potatoes with your meat, not rice or noodles

double your protein intake

RudyRuetigger

and yes, you better lift weights after you have enough energy

otherwise you will be skinny fat with a ton of loose skin flying around

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Make an action plan yet?

The General

Nothing etched in stone yet, but I am going to plan and set some goals. My life is really turning right now for the better. This is a piece of the puzzle.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Swim laps daily in a Olympic size public swimming pool. Find one and pay. That's for cardio if you have bad knees.

Stretch first for a few minutes every morning also and do one set of push ups, one set of sit ups, one set of curls and one set military press and side shoulder lifts one after the other!!! You should be breathing hard and starting to sweat, rubber arms..

You can use the same 20 or 30 pound dumb bell weight for each exercise. Make it burn.. Makes it easier and you can do it at home.

I do that every morning but run and do stairs rather then swim, my knees are good.. That stretching, pushups and dumb bell work out lifting every morning takes me 10 minutes and keeps me toned.. I don't get sore either so I can do it every day.

I'm 51 years old.. Diet is everything though.. I should be a personal trainer for older men, I know my shiiit..

Make it a daily religion and never stop doing it!! Work up to it.. If you can only do a few reps start there, do pushups on your knees if you don't have the strength early on.. Do what you can to build up.. You will get strong and stacked in time..

THESE ARE THE EXERCISES BELOW, one set of each and one after the other with NO break in between every morning religiously will get it done!!!! Use some weight and strain, don't go easy!! In one month your body will begin to transform I promise.. After one year you will be a stacked if your diet is solid..

Wow what a post! An actual how to, with .gifs.

People get paid for posts like this.

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Nothing etched in stone yet, but I am going to plan and set some goals. My life is really turning right now for the better. This is a piece of the puzzle.
    run first

when you realize you are fukked there....

start swimming........when you realize you sink while doggy paddling.....

go to my plan

RudyRuetigger

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    Wow what a post! An actual how to, with .gifs.

People get paid for posts like this.
    jibby is a soyboy

no legs...aka...no squats and deadlifts

atleast he has pushups for chest

but hammercurls?

come on

rookie post

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Rudy