Frank Mills
    Frank Mills's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keto Diet

Would like to hear from others who have experience with this diet. I am very interested in it.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

I had a keto sandwich once with a keto salad and a glass of keto juice and I crapped myself at the Bigsby County Fair annual Tug-o-War Championship semifinals. Never again.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11090

frank you're late to the party this is so 2017

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

It definitely works. Takes a little while to commit to it.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    It definitely works. Takes a little while to commit to it.

the keto diet does work, basically, it is a variation on the book by doctor Atkins that was published decades ago. the difference is in the degree of fats vs carbs. I graduated HS at about 165, in university I put on some weight and when I got near 200 I thought I must do something.

So I read Dr Atkins book concerning ketosis and basically eliminating carbs almost completely. I lived on fats, and believe it or not it does work. I even bought the strips to measure how much your body goes into what is called ketosis. So I lost weight but I had some strange feelings, some strange thoughts. to this day I do not know if it was the diet, but I stopped the diet and I started walking and weight training.

let me tell you this walking along with some weight training will do the trick, however, you must be dedicated and you can't walk for 15 minutes, you must walk for a minimum of 40 minutes three or four times a week. the weight will disappear even without a stringent diet. I promise you that. It will take more time but it will come off.

I have been walking since and I never approach more than 180 something, at 5' 11' and my age that isn't bad.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    the keto diet does work, basically, it is a variation on the book by doctor Atkins that was published decades ago. the difference is in the degree of fats vs carbs. I graduated HS at about 165, in university I put on some weight and when I got near 200 I thought I must do something.

So I read Dr Atkins book concerning ketosis and basically eliminating carbs almost completely. I lived on fats, and believe it or not it does work. I even bought the strips to measure how much your body goes into what is called ketosis. So I lost weight but I had some strange feelings, some strange thoughts. to this day I do not know if it was the diet, but I stopped the diet and I started walking and weight training.

let me tell you this walking along with some weight training will do the trick, however, you must be dedicated and you can't walk for 15 minutes, you must walk for a minimum of 40 minutes three or four times a week. the weight will disappear even without a stringent diet. I promise you that. It will take more time but it will come off.

I have been walking since and I never approach more than 180 something, at 5' 11' and my age that isn't bad.
    dante
    great to hear you went to walking and lifting. i run and lift. i am in my 40s and it works, but i do watch my carb intake.

KETO? i still believe all of the fats will clog up your heart.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Been on it for years. You're going to shit when fat starts melting off your body.

Once you fight through that first time in ketosis (you need sodium, pottasium, magnesium), you'll have a ton of energy and exercise accelerates this process.

I have more energy, better skin, and am in the best shape of my life at 39.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    dante
    great to hear you went to walking and lifting. i run and lift. i am in my 40s and it works, but i do watch my carb intake.

I know, Atkins claims no, but who knows for sure.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    Been on it for years. You're going to shit when fat starts melting off your body.

Once you fight through that first time in ketosis (you need sodium, pottasium, magnesium), you'll have a ton of energy and exercise accelerates this process.

I have more energy, better skin, and am in the best shape of my life at 39.
    it is unbelievable, however, have you taken a good whiff of your breath lately. lol when on an extreme fat diet your breath might smell a little...well strange. but, that was on an extreme level, the Atkins diet, in the beginning, you eat almost zero carbs.

Frank Mills

Thanks All !

I have done vegan and I jog a couple miles about twice a week. I started jogging to top of my street. 2 months later I can do a couple miles at a time. I am not really overweight ( maybe a touch ) but I recently went back on a normal diet w/ caffeine as well and I feel like shit. The cleaner I eat the better I feel and more energy I have.

This Keto diet scares me about what dude said above about having strange thoughts and feelings. That is a bit worrisome but at same time I am like, Bring it !!!

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mills View Post
    Thanks All !

I have done vegan and I jog a couple miles about twice a week. I started jogging to top of my street. 2 months later I can do a couple miles at a time. I am not really overweight ( maybe a touch ) but I recently went back on a normal diet w/ caffeine as well and I feel like shit. The cleaner I eat the better I feel and more energy I have.

This Keto diet scares me about what dude said above about having strange thoughts and feelings. That is a bit worrisome but at same time I am like, Bring it !!!
    listen talk to you doctor, you must remember I was on an extreme keto diet. believe me I watched like a hawk, for weeks I ate zero carbs. that was the atkins way back then since then they have changed it a bit.

you will lose weight and these other guys that are now on the modified diet don't seem to have a problem, maybe you can work it out if you don't go to extremes as I did. I didn't read any of them stating that they had to check their urine for ketosis. maybe with this new diet, they don't expect your body to go into ketosis. obviously since none of them mentioned that, that must be the deal.

look there is a very good saying...all things in extreme are bad including this statement. do moderation, and you should be okay, and a talk with your PCP wouldn't hurt.

btw, once you get into shape with the jogging you will find someday that you can jog almost forever. that might sound strange but it is true. when I first started jogging I could barely go a mile, and then one day I didn't want to stop. I could literally jog (slow jog) for hours and hours, and I did. So good job and reach the joggers high, it actually exists.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

Did full blown keto diet with test strips for 4 months. Less than 70g net carbs per day and most times less than 50g. Lost about 30 lbs and feel great. I had done this before with the breath issues and feeling funky, but this time that didn't happen. I'm off of alcohol so that might have something to do with it. Cholesterol went down about 40 points.

I am now on a protein heavy diet with little to no bread and sugar. Weight is good and steady. Anytime I feel like I am not where I want to be, I cut all carbs for a day or two and I'm back to my weight. I might do it again to start the year for a few months to see if I can cut another 10 lbs.

A lot of people try this diet and fail. It takes a lot of planning. It's eye opening how many carbs we consume. If you do it wrong, you will gain weight and feel like shit.

Get ketone strips and download an app to log your food. Be honest and it will work.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Did full blown keto diet with test strips for 4 months. Less than 70g net carbs per day and most times less than 50g. Lost about 30 lbs and feel great. I had done this before with the breath issues and feeling funky, but this time that didn't happen. I'm off of alcohol so that might have something to do with it. Cholesterol went down about 40 points.

I am now on a protein heavy diet with little to no bread and sugar. Weight is good and steady. Anytime I feel like I am not where I want to be, I cut all carbs for a day or two and I'm back to my weight. I might do it again to start the year for a few months to see if I can cut another 10 lbs.

A lot of people try this diet and fail. It takes a lot of planning. It's eye opening how many carbs we consume. If you do it wrong, you will gain weight and feel like shit.

Get ketone strips and download an app to log your food. Be honest and it will work.

this 100% correct, I did the strips too, and the breath part. glad to hear it didn't happen the second time. it is just so damn hard to eliminate carbs, god I love bread, I love pasta.

stackz125
    stackz125's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 400

If you excercise (cardio and weights) daily and dont eat junk food and limit your sugar intake you dont have to follow any sort of diet.

Just the exercise part alone will help you make better food choices through out the day.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stackz125 View Post
    If you excercise (cardio and weights) daily and dont eat junk food and limit your sugar intake you dont have to follow any sort of diet.

Just the exercise part alone will help you make better food choices through out the day.
    this is also true, when I started exercising after the Atkins diet I actually started to become concerned, I thought I was losing too much weight too quickly. well again I overdid it, often very often I would jog in the morning and in the evening. I wouldn't jog for a half an hour or so I would often jog for 3 or 4 hours. It seemed every time I stepped on the scale I was down a half pound. but that is crazy, but you find what is called joggers high and you actually fall in love with the motion, the movement, the pain disappears. I know most of you can't believe that, and it takes a long time for it to come, but it comes.

yes, if you have discipline exercise, weights and jogging are enough.

Frank Mills

Aight boyz , thanks to all of you I said F it and bought a bunch of Keto foods tonight. I was going to wait until NYE but

decided to go ahead and do it. I hate to be in limbo and didn't want to have a change of heart.

Here is what I got: Cage Free eggs, Carrots , a cucumber, Walnuts, Almonds, Avocados, Sardines, Ground Beef, Cheese, Heavy whipping cream, Cream Cheese ( Philadelphia ), Some mineral waters and some Instant Coffees ( Taster's Choice )

So, that is start. Now, watch this craziness. Up until about a couple hours ago I had not eaten beef or pork in 5 years. Got this diet in

my head and knew I was going to go via with it so I went to Burger King and got a triple Whopper w/ Heavy Cheese and Heavy mayo and

pickles. Shit was so good. It was like a celebration meal before I took on this keto diet ( which btw starts for me in an hour and 45 mins lol )

I am going to post in this thread daily and I have never done Keto before and hear some of ya have had more symptoms than others. I

will document mine as they come. Will prob bore you guys writing down too many details in here.

So, wish me luck and I went $400 to win $125 tonight on the GS ML which has just gotten underway.

Frank Mills

Frank Mills

My goodness what a beautiful night this has been. Ketogenic diet started for me at midnight and the Golden State Warriors being down 10 points w/ 2 mins left somehow find their usual magic and win by a couple. Saved my 4 hung and made some too.

Much thanks to all the good karma in here. No negativity on this thread and it poured over.

Thanks fellas ! Much love !!!

thechaoz

dante

That's been completely destroyed by science years ago. The only thing to avoid is trans fats which are not naturally located in any animal fat naturally.

thechaoz

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    it is unbelievable, however, have you taken a good whiff of your breath lately. lol when on an extreme fat diet your breath might smell a little...well strange. but, that was on an extreme level, the Atkins diet, in the beginning, you eat almost zero carbs.
    I don't, and after being on and off of it for roughy 15 years, let yourself have some carbs.

So I lift 4 times a week and cardio 2 x, so an occasional sweet potato or some low carb bread etc. I used to be super strict, which is FINE btw, especially when you're getting into it. I was for years.

I started 5'11 235 and got down 157 at my best "skinny fat". I lift now and I"m a consist 175 and lean.

Yes, once a month or so I have cheat days, or occasionaly before big left days. Cheat days don't mean 12 pack of soda, just maybe a few slices of bread (this will be burned off over night and during an insane lifiting session).

You're body has 3 sources of energy

1. Glucose (carbs stored and eaten at the time)
    2. Fat
    3. Muscle

If you starve yourself of Glucose (the keto flu, get the strips, now ANY deficit in your body is taken from fat. Also, and the reason I do keto, is because you don't have massive swings in insulin that causes my old fat ass to binge eat.

The body will only breakdown muscle as a very last resort.

It cures almost 90% of childrens epileptic seizures and is a standard diet for them. (My daughter has them I know).

There is a huge netflix special on people who's life completely changed because of it, you can also get on reddit keto/ketodiet etc and see the insane results of people who have lost hundreds of LBS

Frank Mills

@chaoz - Do you have any of the particular reddit links ? I just ordered some of the strips via Ebay.

I'm up for the transition. Rain or shine I'm hanging in. My mind is made up

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11860

That's not how clogging of arteries works. It's a popular misconception though.

A diet high in carbs may actually be worse for heart disease than one high in saturated fats.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

did it since august when i ballooned to 222 after being around 200 now at 185

the first week or 2 was killer though, maybe should have waited until the new year

homie1975

U guys have convinced me that keto will work and will Not clog the arteries. I just don't think I have the discipline so I eat moderate junk and then walk a lot and lift

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

not sure I saw it mentioned, but find a way to get a good amount of fiber in your diet.

I used to do this back in the late 90s early 2000s followed writings of Dan Duchaine, Lyle Mcdonald and some other Ironman mag contributors back then.

I'd get some lettuce, kale, or whatever other leafy greens you like and other fibrous non carb veggies you like and have a few bowls of salad with a low carb salad dressing ( I liked bleu cheese or italian) a day to keep the poop from ripping your butthole every morn.
    Points Awarded:

homie1975 gave Chi_archie 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3026

Works good. My wife does it and finally convince me to. I'm not fat and have always been athletic but ate like shit. At 6'-2" and 185 I just slowed down after 40 and put on weight. When I got to 200 lbs and had a breast cancer scare and had surgery to remove a growth in my chest in April I decided to change my diet. I'm 46 and after my surgery I completely stopped drinking soda, only water. Then the snacks and sugar and went to mostly keto. In 2 months I was back down to 185 and now I sit right at 180 with a ton of energy, feel great. I play hockey, basketball, pickleball, hike and climb and feel like I did in my 30's.

Frank Mills

Wow very nice !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5918mike View Post
    Works good. My wife does it and finally convince me to. I'm not fat and have always been athletic but ate like shit. At 6'-2" and 185 I just slowed down after 40 and put on weight. When I got to 200 lbs and had a breast cancer scare and had surgery to remove a growth in my chest in April I decided to change my diet. I'm 46 and after my surgery I completely stopped drinking soda, only water. Then the snacks and sugar and went to mostly keto. In 2 months I was back down to 185 and now I sit right at 180 with a ton of energy, feel great. I play hockey, basketball, pickleball, hike and climb and feel like I did in my 30's.

Frank Mills

5 eggs n' cheese, coffee no sugar just heavy whipping cream, strawberries ( few ) w/ cream cheese, Mineral water. Avocados prob later.

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3026

I do my morning coffee with butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, and collagen, blend it a few seconds.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Heard of the Keto diet... but didn't research it.

Simple advice....

1. Keep calories low
    2. Complex carbs are always good

Heart rate above 140 for 20-25 minutes... 3-4 times a week..

weight comes right off.

Frank Mills

Sounds good but Keto is different. Carbs are no. read up on it or look at the video with Tim Tebow and Dr oza i posted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Heard of the Keto diet... but didn't research it.

Simple advice....

1. Keep calories low
    2. Complex carbs are always good

Heart rate above 140 for 20-25 minutes... 3-4 times a week..

weight comes right off.

Frank Mills

I guess I could try that down road a bit but how does it taste ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 5918mike View Post
    I do my morning coffee with butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, and collagen, blend it a few seconds.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Mills View Post
    Sounds good but Keto is different. Carbs are no. read up on it or look at the video with Tim Tebow and Dr oza i posted above.
    I'll check it out.

Just giving you advice from all of my dieting throughout my life... I'm 41 now... been researching everything since age 20. Atkins diet... Keto Diet.... there's always a name for everything.

Any diet that says any kind of FAT is ok... is FALSE IMO. Of course... everyone's metabolism is different. But FATS tend to spark the need for CARBS.... Or Sugars in general. If you sit down and have a plain juicy steak.... I have a hard time believing that you aren't going to hit it with a sugar or carbs. Example... A1 sauce... sugars. Baked potato = carbs.

The body needs carbs... you don't need a sh#$ load.... but you do need some. Just to stay regular...
    What I've learned throughout my life when dieting....

1. When a celebrity opens their mouth about a diet... it's usually BS.

2. Eating FATS to lose FAT... is the dumbest science I ever heard.

3. Everyone hates hunger pain. Nobody likes to diet. Fill your stomach up with plenty of LOW CALORIE FOODS. For example... chicken breast is very good for you. But you could eat 2X the servings of Tuna Fish... that = the calories of chicken breast.

4. Weight training, cardio, or both? Always do both. Don't get addicted to just one thing.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Them shot

you need to research about ketosis

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Them shot

you need to research about ketosis
    Money I thought the same thing u did until I researched it. Listen to Archie. Ketosis and your body using fat as energy is no lie

1234 ... Last