MaltedHopsFrenzy
    MaltedHopsFrenzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7439

Name Your Biggest "Rock & Roll" Disappointment

I gotta admit - I can't stand the Sex Pistols, and I was never a huge fan of Nirvana - - but at least those 2 bands kept true to the "Rock & Roll" "rebellion" standards that I'm sure we all grew up fighting for in our stupid youth, or maybe some of our idols died before they sold out or got old.....

Anyways, here's what I'm saying:

KISS making a disco song
    Bob Dylan going electric
    Van Hagar (or Van Halen/Keyboards - either way)
    Metallica cutting their hair and going "Pop"
    Beatles (Should Paul have died too? I mean, enough already - he looks like my old Aunt Pat)
    The Ramones - making a movie? "Rock & Roll High School"
    Guns & Roses - - Now?
    Rolling Stones & their upcoming 2019 tour? - - Dude.....

Hate if you want, but would Jim Morrisson/Jimi Hendrix/Bob Marley/etc. be the "icons" they are if they were doing the Iowa State Fair this upcoming Spring? - - I don't think so.....

Think about it before you respond, thanks.....

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

Milli Vanilli exposed as frauds. I was crushed.

khicks26
    khicks26's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18827

Kid Rock, everything he did.

Ted Nugent, wango tango, Fred Bear.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

metallica st anger

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Sublime with Rome

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Stone Temple Pilots.... when they came out with the "odd" 3rd album.

Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop

WHAT IN SAM HELL?

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24890

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Stone Temple Pilots.... when they came out with the "odd" 3rd album.

Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop

WHAT IN SAM HELL?
    Are you fukking kidding me? That album is brilliant and might be my personal favorite of STP's.

Don't begrudge them for evolving. If every album sounded like Core they'd have been a flash in the pan.
    Points Awarded:

MaltedHopsFrenzy gave Eddy Munny 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24843

There are many. As an art-form...you just have to give each person credit for what their listening ear prefers. Some bands I don't get at all.

List of who I never liked:
    Smashing Pumpkins. Sound bad.
    Bob Dylan. Can't get by the bad voice.

List of bands who went south:
    Pink Floyd (post Roger Waters). I LOVE the Floyd...but I can't accept that as "real Floyd" after Waters left.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Diamond Dave solo
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave MinnesotaFats 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by khicks26 View Post
    Kid Rock, everything he did.

Ted Nugent, wango tango, Fred Bear.
    Awwww, c'mon khicks - not even Stranglehold? Plus, Ted's one of the very, VERY few outspoken Trump supporters, he hunts, loves guns, and is not exactly in the #MeToo camp - all of which pretty much alienates him from like 90% of what would be possible "customers" buying his music & tickets to his concerts. THAT'S ROCK & ROLL!!!!

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Milli Vanilli exposed as frauds. I was crushed.

I know they were looking for a sexy MTV "image" with those 2 guys, but why didn't the real singer/singers come out after & tour? Everybody loved those songs, and time heals all wounds.

Oh well, I guess I'll just blame it on the rain.....
    Points Awarded:

deltgen gave MaltedHopsFrenzy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    metallica st anger

Ehhhhh, I thought that cover album they did was more of a cash grab/sell out. I'm surprised they didn't go for a Christmas album too.....

Lenny Zefflin
    Lenny Zefflin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1519

KISS making a disco song - a lot of bands did at that time (Stones, Floyd, Blondie, Rod Stewart etc)No big deal.

Bob Dylan going electric - acoustic or electric, Dylan is Dylan
    Van Hagar (or Van Halen/Keyboards - either way) - just as good as Roth era, not a huge fan of either

Metallica cutting their hair and going "Pop" - they went pop way before they cut their hair, but agreed they started sucking even more. Only band whose first 6 albums got worse with each release, stopped listening around Reload

Beatles (Should Paul have died too? I mean, enough already - he looks like my old Aunt Pat) - agreed

The Ramones - making a movie? "Rock & Roll High School" - fun flick that fits in with their style

Guns & Roses - - Now? - I agree. Appetite and Lies were awesome. After that, nah. Though a couple songs off the Illusions were cool

Rolling Stones & their upcoming 2019 tour? - - I'll see them if possible.

Cool post.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

I'm still furious George Michael sold out and went solo breaking up WHAM

Andrew Ridgley deserved better

Rock on

Altuve Cedeno
    Altuve Cedeno's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8266

Quote Originally Posted by MaltedHopsFrenzy View Post
    I gotta admit - I can't stand the Sex Pistols, and I was never a huge fan of Nirvana - - but at least those 2 bands kept true to the "Rock & Roll" "rebellion" standards that I'm sure we all grew up fighting for in our stupid youth, or maybe some of our idols died before they sold out or got old.....

Anyways, here's what I'm saying:

KISS making a disco song
    Bob Dylan going electric
    Van Hagar (or Van Halen/Keyboards - either way)
    Metallica cutting their hair and going "Pop"
    Beatles (Should Paul have died too? I mean, enough already - he looks like my old Aunt Pat)
    The Ramones - making a movie? "Rock & Roll High School"
    Guns & Roses - - Now?
    Rolling Stones & their upcoming 2019 tour? - - Dude.....

Hate if you want, but would Jim Morrisson/Jimi Hendrix/Bob Marley/etc. be the "icons" they are if they were doing the Iowa State Fair this upcoming Spring? - - I don't think so.....

Think about it before you respond, thanks.....
    Kissco was just the band showing they could play anything. I was made for loving you was a great tune. They said Kiss couldn’t play a slow ballad.....they did Beth and shut everyone up. No one ever was looking for a refund after seeing Kiss. Even the Dead had a little disco dead....

All Dylan is good Dylan
    without Diamond Dave , there is no Van Halen. I think we agree on this.

metallica sounded better with Lady GaGa than without.lol

cant Paul McCartney just go away and leave us alone ? And stop dying his hair. Paul you’re old ! Grey hair should be flaunte$.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

I'll give this no-prize to Boston.
    Never seen such an amazing beginning turn into such disappointment.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Altuve Cedeno

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Diamond Dave solo
    But it's amusing.

Points Awarded:

khicks26 gave stevenash 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

1. Anything Metallica has done since the black album, it's all trash. Don't talk yourself into it.

2. Megadeth cryptic writings. It was there attempt to "stay relevant" during the grunge years

3. I hate saying this, because I love them, but another than Ten and VS, (first 2 albums), anything else Pearl Jam has done.

I've said this for years. Once a band gets sober and/or older and married with kids it's all over. How can you write "one" by Metallica when you don't drink, have a nagging wife and change diapers. It ruins bands. Never go sober

SnakesPicks
    Dazed and confused.
    SnakesPicks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Metallica, as soon as they covered Bob Seger. No coming back from that, sorry.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I'll give this no-prize to Boston.
    Never seen such an amazing beginning turn into such disappointment.
    Had one of the most successful debut album in the history of music and then....... Nothing.

khicks26

Awwww, c'mon khicks - not even Stranglehold? Plus, Ted's one of the very, VERY few outspoken Trump supporters, he hunts, loves guns, and is not exactly in the #MeToo camp - all of which pretty much alienates him from like 90% of what would be possible "customers" buying his music & tickets to his concerts. THAT'S ROCK & ROLL!!!!
    Stranglehold was before Wango Tango. Pretty much like everything before that came out.

One of Teds Best.

Points Awarded:

MaltedHopsFrenzy gave khicks26 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

khicks26

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    But it's amusing.

Agree, total sell out by Diamond Dave. But I think its who he wanted to be all along. Best scream in Rock still.

Chipup
    Chipup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Nirvana- Killed Music, was so grateful when Korbain bit it. And I was a preteen when Nirvana was popular but even I found their crybaby douche anthems disgusting.

Can't agree more with Metallica anything or Guns N Roses.

Anything Rob Zombie, but ironically I liked his lil brother and powerman.

Candlebox And Red Hot Chili Peppers endless string of Cali fornication albums under different names.

The day music died .RIp B.Holly and R. Valens

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Are you fukking kidding me? That album is brilliant and might be my personal favorite of STP's.

Don't begrudge them for evolving. If every album sounded like Core they'd have been a flash in the pan.
    Purple didn't sound like Core IMO.... most bands from the 1st album to the 2nd... typically sound identical.

From a business standpoint.... sales from Tiny Music... didn't come close to the 1st and 2nd album.

I remember clearly in 1996 and 1997 all my friends who were huge Stone Temple Pilots fans were like.. WTF is this sh#$? Radio stations tried to push Big Bang Baby and Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart.... but it was unsuccessful.

So when radio stations don't want to play your music.... there's nothing you can do. I think it was confusing.... was this Rock or Lite FM Music?

BOA12
    BOA12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

First album I ever owned, teddy shouldn't throw stones at glass houses, #1 by leaps and bounds.What a shame it would be if he ends with a hunting accident, Sport Murderer justice. licker#1.

maggiethebestdog

Def Leppard
    First 2 albums were great hard rock/metal
    Well, you know the rest

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Def Leppard
    First 2 albums were great hard rock/metal
    Well, you know the rest
    No way! I can still listen to "Hysteria" all the way through without skipping any songs.

And how many bar sluts have you enjoyed over the years watching dance like strippers whenever "Pour Some Sugar On Me" comes on the jukebox - - I also owe Sir Mix-A-Lot a beer for "Baby Got Back" for the same reason.

maggiethebestdog

Lol
    You can't be serious

maggiethebestdog

No way! I can still listen to "Hysteria" all the way through without skipping any songs.

And how many bar sluts have you enjoyed over the years watching dance like strippers whenever "Pour Some Sugar On Me" comes on the jukebox - - I also owe Sir Mix-A-Lot a beer for "Baby Got Back" for the same reason.
    Lol
    You started a thread about "rock n roll" betrayal
    Now you are defending a band who started as hard rock/metal and then sold out to be a bubble gum chick pop band

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24843

Bump. Tom Petty is one of my favorites. My line of demarcation = "You Got Lucky".

Great song. Loved YGL + everything b4. Didn't care for anything after.

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by maggiethebestdog View Post
    Lol
    You started a thread about "rock n roll" betrayal
    Now you are defending a band who started as hard rock/metal and then sold out to be a bubble gum chick pop band
    C'mon! "Bringing on the heartbreak"? The original "power ballad" before that term even existed?!?!? "Saturday Night (High n' Dry)"?!?! Your gonna tell me "On through the night" should be labeled "hard rock/metal"? I'm saying they were bubble gum to start with, so there was no "selling out" - - we'll call this the "Bon Jovi Rule".....

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Bump. Tom Petty is one of my favorites. My line of demarcation = "You Got Lucky".

Great song. Loved YGL + everything b4. Didn't care for anything after.

I remember when my parents first shelled out for cable T.V. There was this new thing that my older sister was all excited about called MTV, and "Refugee" was the very first music video I ever saw. That may have been the day I sold my soul to rock & roll.....

But man, NOTHING past "You Got Lucky"? You're missing out on so many great songs! Much like Jimmy Buffett - - Tom Petty is Tom Petty. You know what you're getting, so go out on your patio, put on the "Greatest Hits" album, sit back, grab a beer & fire up a doob, and just chill.....

maggiethebestdog

C'mon! "Bringing on the heartbreak"? The original "power ballad" before that term even existed?!?!? "Saturday Night (High n' Dry)"?!?! Your gonna tell me "On through the night" should be labeled "hard rock/metal"? I'm saying they were bubble gum to start with, so there was no "selling out" - - we'll call this the "Bon Jovi Rule".....
    The entire first album is not bubble gum in any way
    The 2nd album is the same with the exception of the song you mentioned

2 men having anal sex is less gay than the rest of their horseshit

C'mon man

khicks26

Gay sissy sell out rock/The Bon Jovi Rule.

They had one good song that I know of.

I bet you like Bryan Adams also. Another guy that had one good song.

MaltedHopsFrenzy

Quote Originally Posted by khicks26 View Post
    Gay sissy sell out rock/The Bon Jovi Rule.

They had one good song that I know of.

I bet you like Bryan Adams also. Another guy that had one good song.

Judging by your response, you agree with me. It's not like Def Leppard started out all "Hardcore" and then went soft - - they were soft to begin with, that's my point - hence not sell-outs (The Bon Jovi Rule). I'm not saying that's a bad thing, they're sticking to their roots. Also, agreed, "Let It Go" is a pretty rockin' song - shockingly reminds me of "Long Way Down" by The Goo Goo Dolls, in cadence and progression, 3 syllable hook, 3 power chords, etc. In case you haven't heard it:

I'm referring to someone who you idolized (probably as a youth) and then at some point they did a 180 on you and sold out. For me, personally, it was Metallica and Van Halen - but everyone has an opinion.....

Keep posting those rock videos (here & in the Politics forum) - I love it!

12 Last