VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20445

Prosecutor: Couple, homeless vet bilked public with made-up story on act of kindness

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...re/2011522002/

Woman ran out of gas.

Homeless Vet gives her his last $20 to buy gas and get her home.

Woman and Husband return to the area, find the homeless guy and give him money.

Woman and Husband set up GoFundMe to raise $10,000 for homeless guy.

They actually raise over $400,000.

Now it's come out that it was all a scam that the three of them cooked up.

VeggieDog

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

not surprised, i have a hard time giving to the homeless guys begging at the intersections , are they really homeless or just trying to scam people

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

They took their shot and got caught.

So close to getting away with it, they just didnt pay the bum enough.

Think about how many times this has been done successfully. This is gonna hurt Gofundme, the curtain has been pulled back.

The bum had nothing to lose, now he gets 3 hots and a cot for the winter

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    not surprised, i have a hard time giving to the homeless guys begging at the intersections , are they really homeless or just trying to scam people
    Lol, reminds me of a story of I guy I know who used to be a cop. He was the rookie and they'd send the rookies to take panhandlers to the rescue mission. So one day he got called to go pick one up. He goes up to the guy, "Hey, you can't be here. Pick up your stuff and I'll take you down to the homeless shelter." The guys response? "Can you just take me to my house?" And apparently the house was a decent place too, not a run down shit hole.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

This whole thing makes me sick. And it's exactly why so many people are leery of donating to strangers on these freakin sites. GoFundMe says they're going to refund all the money but when? And how many of those people really didn't have that money to spare to begin with yet they donated because of this rubbish.

Go directly to jail and do not pass go all three of you prikks!!

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

nobody should get their money back, idiot tax

this story sounds like it was made up by 3 idiots tricking only bigger idiots
    Points Awarded:

jtoler gave reigle9 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Bandit
    Ohio... Way Back When
    Bandit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11716

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    This whole thing makes me sick. And it's exactly why so many people are leery of donating to strangers on these freakin sites. GoFundMe says they're going to refund all the money but when? And how many of those people really didn't have that money to spare to begin with yet they donated because of this rubbish.

Go directly to jail and do not pass go all three of you prikks!!

I gave..............too much. They should spend a few years ..... like 5 or better behind bars. BAST*RDS

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Makes you wonder how many Go Fund Me campaigns are fake.

Ebumdude
    HTX
    Ebumdude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1843

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Makes you wonder how many Go Fund Me campaigns are fake.
    68%

Over: -120
    Under: +120

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I gave..............too much. They should spend a few years ..... like 5 or better behind bars. BAST*RDS
    Oh Bandit. You're a kind soul. I'm sorry you got screwed over by these complete pieces of trash. It was bad enough when it looked like the couple scammed from the homeless guy but to now find out he was in on it from the start?! Just reprehensible. Fingers crossed that your money is refunded quickly, especially now that the story has gone worldwide.

VeggieDog

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    When I lived in Oregon, I was a semi-regular at this bar that had State Lottery Slot Machines. We always saw this "homeless" woman at the corner with a sign. The bartender told us she would wait until she got $20, then would run in, buy a PBR, and put the rest in the slot machines. 10 minutes later she would be back out at the corner. He said she did it every day all day long.

I NEVER give money to bums at the off-ramps. They're scammers.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Gofundme under pressure to not pay $150,000 raised to the Melbourne "Trolley Man" hero too.

A homeless guy jumped in to "help" police stop a knife wielding terrorist in central Melbourne a week or so ago.

Now it turns out he owns a house but lives homeless by choice, and burgles places for income.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

It's just stupidity of humanity. In today's world a good person can do 1 bad thing, it goes viral and their life is ruined. The biggest piece of shit in the world can do 1 good thing and everybody thinks they need to give him ten of thousands of dollars. I honestly don't even feel bad for the people scammed on stories like this.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Social media is the final nail in the coffin of humanity

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

That Diamico guy is well know degenerate poker player here..........Funny that the article says the trio met at the SugarHouse in philly and cooked this scheme up