cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

heck yah always tip hostess don't make much

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Your to nice mate
    Those small gestures go along way. It won’t hurt me to throw a 5-10 spot for carryout but if that person gets 10 people like me that give $5-10$ it would make there day at end

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3483

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Those small gestures go along way. It won’t hurt me to throw a 5-10 spot for carryout but if that person gets 10 people like me that give $5-10$ it would make there day at end
    Fair point,I reckon alot of those jobs will end up becoming obsolete, everything has become electronic know.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 09-20-18 at 11:50 PM.
    Points Awarded:

paco gave packerd_00 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

pdx107
    pdx107's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1816

Yes, always

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10699

They are still packaging it up and putting it all together for you so i normally tip something .

pdx107
    pdx107's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1816

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    They are still packaging it up and putting it all together for you so i normally tip something .
    Plus a portion is going to end up going to the cook as well most likely. I don't do takeout a ton but when I get it from my favorite Chinese place they always get at least 20% no matter if we eat in or take away

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10699

Quote Originally Posted by pdx107 View Post
    Plus a portion is going to end up going to the cook as well most likely. I don't do takeout a ton but when I get it from my favorite Chinese place they always get at least 20% no matter if we eat in or take away
    Exactly 20% on the nose what i do too . I just rented out a movie tavern theater for a showing of a house with a clock in its walls . They have a pre done menu and the food came to $700. I was going to do 20% but they added that in already. But i announced to everyone that even though i did the tip if they would like to leave something for the servers it was up to them and i saw cash on some of the chairs so i think our servers were happy.

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Exactly...the cook prepared the food and will not get the tip. All the person did was hand you the food
    If you think that's all they do you've never worked in a restaurant!

Greenline
    Greenline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

Fast food, no.
    Sit down full service restaurant, yes. Round up to nearest $5.
    Sit down counter service, rarely.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    10% if a proper restaurant. Not fast food, sub shops etc.
    Same here.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

Not for take out

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

My policy is to tip 20% if the person bringing me my food blows me

It goes up to 25% if that person is female or dressed as one

PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11494

I worked in many restaurants when I was younger. Getting a to go order is just part of the job, just like rolling silverware or cooking the food. The tipping culture around getting takeout these days is annoying. I tip because I can afford to, but it should not be expected like it is now. The point of tipping is to give incentive to give good service. There is no customer service involved in bagging a food item and handing to a customer.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

I rarely tip.

Let Mr. Pink explain why.

Points Awarded:

Shute gave Thrilla 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

blap10
    blap10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1449

sometimes depending on the place

VegasCasperVegas
    VegasCasperVegas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Exactly...the cook prepared the food and will not get the tip. All the person did was hand you the food
    The cook gets paid more hourly than the servers. A lot more. That is how they are compensated for their service. In high end places, cooks DO get tipped out btw as well.

Im in the industry, so yes I tip take out orders.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

I ordered online take out the other day from Bucca Di Beppo and when I went to pay online it suggested that I add a tip for the "people preparing my food"

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11839

Why in the hell would you tip for take out?

You aren't being served by anyone as you're just picking up your food after you called it in... It's a nice gesture but I'm not up for giving away my money for free when that person didn't work for it..

VegasCasperVegas

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Why in the hell would you tip for take out?

You aren't being served by anyone as you're just picking up your food after you called it in... It's a nice gesture but I'm not up for giving away my money for free when that person didn't work for it..
    As a bartender, I answer the phone, take the order and pack it. Do more work than when I make a drink.

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

I tip very well but I wish they would just pay people, raise their prices and eliminate tipping
    I also get tired of hearing restaurant workers complain all the time
    In one city they complained for years about their base salary being under minimum wage, they passed legislation to raise their rate to minimum wage, and the workers complained about that because they thought it would kill their tip income
    Certainly honest work, but...

if your life job skill is writing down a food order, bringing out the food or mixing a drink you really shouldn't complain that much because anybody with a decent attitude can easily do your job

beavis13
    beavis13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

Always. Then again, I'm a bartender and will normally sit at the bar and have at least a few while I wait for my food.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by beavis13 View Post
    Always. Then again, I'm a bartender and will normally sit at the bar and have at least a few while I wait for my food.
    i notice bartenders amd other waiters tip each other well its like a fraternity

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

bought a new washing machine other day best buy paid have it delivered and old one taken away, should i have tipped those 2 guys that delivered set it up, i wasnt sure they were only there like 5 mins

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

Tip, or I have to hear the to go girls bitch about how you didn't leave them anything.

They're already pissed that Postmates, Doordash, Uber/Lyft is taking tips away.

lissi
    lissi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I have done that twice or thrice especially at McDonald's drive-through. These guys do work hard just as hard as the kitchen staff

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by VegasCasperVegas View Post
    As a bartender, I answer the phone, take the order and pack it. Do more work than when I make a drink.
    Bartenders you should tip.. I always wanted to be a bartender back in the day, never got around to it.. Seems like a very social job, mingling with drunks and what not...

I guess I got the itch after watching that movie with Tom Cruise back in the day or something?? ..

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by topgame85 View Post
    10% if a proper restaurant. Not fast food, sub shops etc.
    This is what I do also.

For example: a sushi joint. Someone has to pack and bag all the napkins, sauces, chopsticks etc. If they are polite and provide fast service, I tip 10%.

Great idea for a thread.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

15-20% tipping is the norm for me... I'm a generous tipper at the Restaurants if the waiters or waitresses treat me right. Keep the water glasses filled, ask if I need anything else, get my order right, not lazy and ignoring, etc...

It's too bad most waiters have a pool they all divide after a shift.. It's like if one waiter is solid and the other is complete crap they both still get the same amount of tip money at the end of the day.. That's kinda weak!!!!!

VegasCasperVegas

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    15-20% tipping is the norm for me... I'm a generous tipper at the Restaurants if the waiters or waitresses treat me right. Keep the water glasses filled, ask if I need anything else, get my order right, not lazy and ignoring, etc...

It's too bad most waiters have a pool they all divide after a shift.. It's like if one waiter is solid and the other is complete crap they both still get the same amount of tip money at the end of the day.. That's kinda weak!!!!!

Pooling is only good on really busy nights or holidays. The busier the place, w pooling you’ll see waitstaff work together which makes your dining experience better.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
    Personally I tip for delivery and not when I pick up the food.
    The point is the convenience. If you pick up, why would you tip?

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9035

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    This is what I do also.

For example: a sushi joint. Someone has to pack and bag all the napkins, sauces, chopsticks etc. If they are polite and provide fast service, I tip 10%.

Great idea for a thread.
    Somebody at a fast food spot is doing the same thing, so why not tip them?
    Last edited by bigtymer56; 10-06-18 at 09:27 AM.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

If I'm simply picking up pizza for carryout from Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa Johns - no. Whoever is working the counter literally does nothing other than have me sign the credit card slip and hand me the pizza box

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    no tip on takeout and im not one of those suckers that over tips for alcohol wayyyyy too much just bc they think the entire bill should be 20% even if you spent 50% of it on wine or bottles etc. I get a budlight at a bar i leave a dollar. Them twisting my cap off is worth that much.
    When I was in college and would go to bars that were packed, you basically had to tip or the bartenders would ignore you. So what I would do is like say if it was $1 U Call It....I'd order 2 drinks/beers and give them $3. That way I got 2 drinks and I was still tipping them a buck. I'd never order 1 drink at a time though in a busy place. Have to order 2 or 3 at once and just leave a $1 tip.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

penetrate no I don't tip carryout and neither should you. These people are suppose to HATE their jobs so they go and get a better one which simultaneously opens up a spot for another young person to HATE the job and realize they need a real skill.

That is the natural course and you're penetrating it up, same reason $15 is terrible idea and will lead to more 30+ year olds working just enough to get by instead of getting a real skill.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29946

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    The point is the convenience. If you pick up, why would you tip?
    That's always been my philosophy. But apparently tipping for pick up is more common than I thought

First 123 Last