HurryUpAndDrink
    HurryUpAndDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Work out advice...

Given my heart is kinda floppy some days I go easy or skip cardio 100%...

Like today... just feel like lifting a bit before going to bed with zero cardio...

Ive always thought I little cardio before lifting is great to get that blood pumping and sweat flowing...

I know we have to have some people in shape in here... any advice? is it cool skipping cardio?
    Last edited by HurryUpAndDrink; 01-22-18 at 12:22 PM.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Don't push it hurry, your ticker will explode

I used to do weights for ab an hr or two then play pickup with the college kids for ab the same

Best combo of streng and cardio, then again I never partied extensively like a rock star

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

you should do it consistently... about 20 minutes. walk on an incline doesn't have to be that high or fast, just don't be that guy who holds on to the treadmill.. defeats the whole purpose of the exercise

one muscle set a day if you're lifting (3 exercises, 4 sets )
    20 minutes of some light cardio...75 % of the days you work out....
    Last edited by shocka1212; 01-21-18 at 10:32 PM.
    Points Awarded:

HurryUpAndDrink gave shocka1212 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

magaman
    Update your status
    magaman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

I always lift first. I want max energy for lifting.

I then jog out to my car to light up... that is my cardio

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Nah, its not good to skip cardio. There are a host of opinions on this matter and if you have a specific goal in mind, that might help get more informed opinions. If you're trying to be lean and just in general better health, do your cardio. Mix it up through the week, start with 20 minutes of slow cardio, keep your HR around 150 even if you have to walk fast. Try not to get breathless and if you do, slow down it means you're anaerobic. I would do this 4x's per week x 1 month. Then up the time to 30 minutes 3 times per week, and do 1 day per week of HIIT cardio. It wont take but a few months and you'll be in the best shape in your life.

This is an important concept in health and conditioning, everything you do should be built upon cardio and core. Nothing is more important thn those two things. So for the first few months, focus on them. You'll stay injury free, train harder for longer, be healthier, etc..... You'll notice the benefits almost immediately. Well, after a month. First month kinda sucks but it has to, anything worth obtaining has to be hard or everyone would do it.

Good luck.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: HurryUpAndDrink

HurryUpAndDrink

Kraken coming off fukkin solid as always... thanks man, most people think twice about writing an extensive reply like yours... quite useful...

I have not been dodging cardio... been working out 3x a week, jog 30-40mins (with stops, walking fast, cant hold especially uphill)... when I started doing this I was a bit chubby and back hurt like a motherfukker... lost some weight on december due to partying and now back dont hurt at all...

Usually after the jog I come home and do 100 pec lifts, 100 bicep lifts, 200 abs and 100 squats... I do that 2-3 times...

I have always been used to doing strong core, is my main strength if you will

I wanna up working out 5 or 6x a week, but skip cardio every other day...

HurryUpAndDrink

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Don't push it hurry, your ticker will explode

I used to do weights for ab an hr or two then play pickup with the college kids for ab the same

Best combo of streng and cardio, then again I never partied extensively like a rock star
    LOL, Shady, tried to give u points but couldnt

Thats why I avoid cardio sometimes, ticker hurts like a mofo when doing cardio... feels like bad bad bad...

Little by little

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

You should wear a heart rate monitor so you can set some base line measurements.

The Kraken

Sounds like you're in good shape and just trying to take it to the next level.

Skipping cardio every other day isn't a big deal unless you're training for a competition and in cut phase. Other wise it's fine. Hills are hard and generally treated better as HIIT, don't go too for long, maybe 30 seconds at a time. Problem is you get into anaerobic metabolism so quickly, you just can't keep it up very long. It's hell on your body too, induces a stress response and can weaken the immune system because your body is always in a state of recovery. People starting cardio or increasing cardio get sick often because they don't rest enough. They go so hard every day, then have to take a week or two off. This is the reason it's so important to build a sold foundation of aerobic conditioning (as it sounds like you're doing) before moving into HIIT. But HIIT works wonders, I would say 1, maybe 2 days per week max of HIIT, with working phases between 30-45 seconds, rest 1-3 minutes x 10 reps, until you don't feel winded. Keep the rest of the days to "easy" cardio.

I trained with a semi-pro bodybuilder in OKC (darryl Terrel) for a few years, learned some amazing things from him. But the one thing I really took away was the importance of rest and good sleep. Man we ate like motherfukkers too. After every lift session we chowed down a 1lb burger, large fry and large shake. We'd be hungry two hours later. Had bodyfat % less than 10%. Best shape of my life. Everyone hated cardio but did it.

I've gotten older and can't do that type of training now so I eat cleaner and lift more moderately, go a bit heavier on cardio than I used to. And I fukking hate it but I still do it.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by HurryUpAndDrink View Post
    LOL, Shady, tried to give u points but couldnt

Thats why I avoid cardio sometimes, ticker hurts like a mofo when doing cardio... feels like bad bad bad...

Little by little
    I throw a hand towel over the screen after setting my incline and speed to not even think about it..

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    You should wear a heart rate monitor so you can set some base line measurements.
    I agree with this. If you don't have one or can't get one just know as you start to feel winded or breathless, that means you are now in anaerobic exercise. It's always good to know so you can tailor your workout to your goals. Maybe you want to be anaerobic and maybe not

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Kraken has some good details on getting there but you need to strengthen that ticker up

It's definitely possible being that it's a muscle, just take it at a snail pace

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Pretty sure that Kraken and Opie hold 99% of the world's knowledge.

The Kraken

Opie doesn't know anything I haven't forgotten

HurryUpAndDrink

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Starting to think I HAVE to buy one just to be on the safe side and stop if shitt goes off

HurryUpAndDrink

Thanks Kraken... yeah I am in fairly good shape, not overweight by any means... just wanna get leaner, bigger and meaner... have an exgf to conquest lol

Nah all kidding aside... I wanna feel healthy and strong again... I dont wanna feel like a slob. I am thinking of adding brazilian jiu jitsu 2-3 times a week... starting to collect gym data on that

I trained Muay Thai in my teens but the cardio and intensity is heavy shitt... would like to build some core muscle strength and grapple technique so BJJ safest choice IMO...

The Kraken

BJJ is fun, just watch out for the young guys that think they're rolling for the UFC Title, seen way too many guys injured by young, strong guys being reckless. Rule #1, never break your toys

Ive given my .02, gonna check out and let others lead you to the promised land

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

only advice I can give is please DO NOT, under any mother fukkin' circumstances, be caught doin' this:

and if you are, please, please, please DO NOT have that mother f'n look on your face......

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

Pushups before and after workouts can get quick results in my experience, building up to more and more

HurryUpAndDrink

Fukk dancing Donker.... never been able to... dancing's for fairies

stevek173

He is on a gay rampage this morning. I'm already arguing with him about converting from bad gay to good (girl on girl) gay.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

fuk that stevie.... is that bitch in your avatar drippin' hot candle wax on her own rack?

if so, send me her name address phone number immediately......

ms donker wants to have a talk with her regarding availability to travel with us this Spring.....

stevek173

Good question.

Those are "sparklers", not candles.

I too would be very interested given the circumstances you described.

HurryUpAndDrink

any recommendation for heart monitors?

polar good?