KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20364

What Kind of Televsion Do You Have

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 50 inch plasma Panasonic TV. Bought it like 7 years ago when flat screens were coming out. Thinking of going into the 55-60 inch range. Is the 4K worth it? Most of cable isn't 4K ready, so what would the point be?

What do you have, and what would you recommend? Anyone have a projector, i heard those are able to do HD and Blu Ray now. I'm likely looking to buy right around the $1K range. Thanks.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

You can get a good projector for under $1k BUT projectors are geared to media rooms where you can control the sunlight. You really don't want a projector during the daytime in a living room or den. Too much sun. You definitely should get 4K HDR. Not just 4K UHD but HDR. There's many cheap TVs out there under $1k. Where are you going to put it? How much space do you have? How far away from the TV will you be? Those questions will answer how big you should get.

Personally, the only TVs I would buy are OLED's. That means LG or Sony. Forget about Samsung's Qled's. not the same thing. Either LG or Sony OLEDs. These are the best sets on the planet. You can probably find an LG Oled 55" for about $1,300. It's worth every penny.

KRIT

I have a ton of room in my living room, it can fit really anything. I'm thinking between 55 and 65 inches. My front edge of my couch is probably about 10 feet from my TV right now. I will mainly use it for sports and movies. I have extra mounts in my house, but I got a stand I'll probably just put it on. What is HDR and UHD?

Yeah don't think I'll go with the projector, was never really seriously entertaining that idea. Just curious what people had to say about them.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lol

You’re a jerk off anything above 43 inches and get the cheapest brand and I don’t recolve your life around television

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

A TV? Bro. I live in my mom's garage.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Personally I think Samsung 55" LCD Smart TV... Best bang for your buck. Under a thousand, big enough to enjoy the game on, clear enough for sports and bluerays. Pair it with a sound bar if its in a big room and you're good to go.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13300

I have an 65" LG OLED. Netflix and Amazon have 4k programming. What Mac said.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave gauchojake 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Personally I think Samsung 55" LCD Smart TV... Best bang for your buck. Under a thousand, big enough to enjoy the game on, clear enough for sports and bluerays. Pair it with a sound bar if its in a big room and you're good to go.
    Agree. Best Buy recently had them on Sale. I grabbed a 50" one for $499

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Agree. Best Buy recently had them on Sale. I grabbed a 50" one for $499
    Yeah that's a great deal I think I got mine like 650 still great bang for the buck

jjgold

Stay under $200 they look the same

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

I have a toahiba regza 47 inches I think.

Probably like 7 years old.

May be time to upgrade.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I have an 65" LG OLED. Netflix and Amazon have 4k programming. What Mac said.
    I have the the same TV curved model. Best TV period. The 3D is incredible. Netflix and Amazon 4k is good but the actual disc are much, much better because higher bitrate. Samsung, Panny, Sony and LG are all coming out with larger OLED tv's. There's already a 77 inch and 85 inch and Sammy is coming out with a 98" ($40K). Hopefully OLED technology comes down in price as they get better with these panels.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    I have a ton of room in my living room, it can fit really anything. I'm thinking between 55 and 65 inches. My front edge of my couch is probably about 10 feet from my TV right now. I will mainly use it for sports and movies. I have extra mounts in my house, but I got a stand I'll probably just put it on. What is HDR and UHD?
    Yeah don't think I'll go with the projector, was never really seriously entertaining that idea. Just curious what people had to say about them.
    Here's a good guide on distance.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-...e-relationship

UHD - Ultra High def. Which is either 4K or 8K. The screen resolution. Higher resolution = better picture.

HDR - High Dynamic Range - This is the contrast per pixel. Think about the small pixel dots on your tv. HDR allows a very high conrast per pixel. With OLED HDR you can turn each pixel on or off, which means your whites are white and your blacks are black. Look at most TV's and when they are on, you can tell they are on even if the screen was black. With HDR, you can't even tell the TV is on when the screen is black because it will be totally black.

I highly recommend www.slickdeals.net for most deals but especially for TV's. You will find some dirt cheap deals.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

If you have netflix, the 4K is nice.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

I got a big screen Magnavox.
    Magnavox doesn't have the name brand of a say Sony for instance, thing is I love the sharpness of the picture, it's super dependable, all for 1/3 cost of the big boy names.

Toshiba too, I owned several Toshiba's in the past, always sharp picture and dependable too.

Hey, I don't mind spending up for quality, but when it comes to TV's you don't have to spend up, you can actually spend down.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I have the the same TV curved model. Best TV period. The 3D is incredible. Netflix and Amazon 4k is good but the actual disc are much, much better because higher bitrate. Samsung, Panny, Sony and LG are all coming out with larger OLED tv's. There's already a 77 inch and 85 inch and Sammy is coming out with a 98" ($40K). Hopefully OLED technology comes down in price as they get better with these panels.
    Yeah I just saw the new Sony OLED's advertised but haven't seen them in person yet. I haven't bought any 4k discs yet but I guess I should. It's a shame my kids actually watch the fukkin tv more than I do lol.

Jatt24
    FBG
    Jatt24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

Bought 65 inch Samsung 3D tv when they first came out...it was def waste of money

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

I have my old Philips still...works great.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Ok Ivar

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23996

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Ok Ivar

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Whatever the hotel has

Lucky Strike
    Lucky Strike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I have 3 different TV’s and also looking to purchase 1 more. Pretty much lasered in on Samsung 55’. It’s for the living room. My couch is about 8 feet from the entertainment center, so it’s perfect viewing for that size. Distance is key for TV purchasing. Not TV size

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

I have a color tv.

Came with a remote controll too.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

I only watch games on a VR headset so I can look around 360 degrees and see drunk people fuccking and fighting.

KRIT

Got an LG 65 inch 4K with HDR, got it on a big time sale. Was originally like $1700 and got it for 1K.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

My last 2 TV's have been LG's as well as my phone and fridge. They make good stuff.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

In my house, we have TWO televisions.
    One for my wife and one for myself!!!
    Of course...the latest in technology.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

I had a 42 inch plasma I really liked. It was a Best Buy store brand. Can't remember the name. 3 yr old hit it with a bat

Now have a 42 inch lg oled

about to move it to my bedroom, bedroom to my kids since his brother took theirs to college.

Looking for for a new one for the living room.

Gonna go big

Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

Televisions have gotten poor in quality over the years. Use to be you bought a tv and it would last 20 years or more. Honestly most of the crap stuff they sell is just good marketing and b.s. If you buy a tv today consider it a miracle if it last beyond 5 years with planned obsolescence. The best advice is to wait till the 4k tvs go down in price give 3 years or just buy a used one. If you do buy a new tv get a good warranty program. The extra money is worth because you are guaranteed to have a working tv for good amount of time. Also buy the longest warranty as possible.

jjgold

People live in a 20 foot room and I have 70 inch televisions like dumb jerk off’s

KRIT

I wouldn't say TV's don't last long, the big difference is technology is evolving that after a few years you want the next best thing. During the times of the tube TV's, they never got better. Did TV's ever really evolve in the 90's and early 2000's. 4K and HDR are the new big thing, five years from now there will be something better.

Capitols44

A lot of pawn shops will not even let you pawn a tv unless it 1 year old or less and has to be 40 inches or more. So again its a terrible investment for entertainment. Take the $1000 dollars you would have spent on a tv and watch the tv you currently have and take a vacation or go to a ball game.

Capitols44

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    I wouldn't say TV's don't last long, the big difference is technology is evolving that after a few years you want the next best thing. During the times of the tube TV's, they never got better. Did TV's ever really evolve in the 90's and early 2000's. 4K and HDR are the new big thing, five years from now there will be something better.
    Go to best buy some time and notice how many open box buys or referberished tv you see.

jjgold

I never had a tv break in my life never ever buy any type of a protection program and buy the cheapest brand television possible they’re all the same and stop revolving your life around television a formula for failure

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11860

Quote Originally Posted by Capitols44 View Post
    A lot of pawn shops will not even let you pawn a tv unless it 1 year old or less and has to be 40 inches or more. So again its a terrible investment for entertainment. Take the $1000 dollars you would have spent on a tv and watch the tv you currently have and take a vacation or go to a ball game.
    I guess if you are frequently pawning your tv's, they're not a good investment.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Nitrogen

12 Last