GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

That's a big commitment.

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

When is Ken going to do a documentary on toupees?

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bluehorseshoe

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post
    That's a big commitment.
    I am just going to record the series and watch it when I can.

Did the same for National Geographic's "Genius". A great tv series on Einstein.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Watching. Old guy here. My draft card number was 1H. I graduated in May. I was to be drafted in Aug.
    Luckily, they ended the war in '73 and later did away with the draft. I was mentally prepared to go to war.

Do remember the hippies. No bras, flapping under their shirts. Wasn't a fan of the unshaven parts.
    Peace signs everywhere.

qwertvt
    qwertvt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Watching. Old guy here. My draft card number was 1H. I graduated in May. I was to be drafted in Aug.
    Luckily, they ended the war in '73 and later did away with the draft. I was mentally prepared to go to war.

Do remember the hippies. No bras, flapping under their shirts. Wasn't a fan of the unshaven parts.
    Peace signs everywhere.
    I'm glad your number was never called. You still remember it after almost 45 years.

philliesfinest
    philliesfinest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15620

trying to watch all episodes and educate myself

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Ok. Set it to record.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

I DVR'd it. To anyone that watched the first episode, is it worth watching?

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Dont waste your time with bs docs like these.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Quote Originally Posted by qwertvt View Post
    I'm glad your number was never called. You still remember it after almost 45 years.
    After watching the 1st episode, can't believe the conflict started a few years before I was even born. Then to
    almost be in it was surreal.

I did lose an older friend to that war.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

After watching the 1st episode, can't believe the conflict started a few years before I was even born. Then to

I too lost a few friends, we had a big graduating class and a bunch of kids from that class died and at least one I know came back with no legs.

First two episodes were fabulous, you can rely on K Burns to give you facts, make it interesting and always interview people that were there. He is by far the best American storyteller alive. I wrote that more than once because I am so impressed by his work. The CIVIL WAR I believe was his best, but they are all good.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

I know it is easy to say after the fact however looking back at this tragedy you might think that the French and Americans would be more sympathetic to a country wanting independence and self rule. Right? Two countries that understand liberty and democracy and all that good stuff. The French were brutal to those people, the Americans probably not as much but no bargain either.

Almost every move we made in that war was wrong. Often we found excuses under the guise that we are fighting against communism and the domino effect which we all know now was basically BS. But most of us bought it at that time. IMO if John K would have lived we would not have been in that war as long as we were. He was hesitant about it and that was when we were losing very few people. He didn't want a prolonged war even though he was a staunch anti communist. He saw all the problems that we ended up having in the later stages of that conflict. How one life could have changed history is interesting, not definite but interesting to wonder about.

I am glad now that the veterans of that war are finally being honored as they should have been when returning. I remember how they were treated and it was wrong. Yes, they made errors but they were kids, kids tossed into an impossible situation.

I am very much anticipating the rest of these episodes.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

is this series any better than the previous 2014 12 part series narrated by bill kurtis?

anything new/different?

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: triplecrown333

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag / BS event
    just like all the others. LBJ used this event
    to order the murders of innocent people,
    and the effort ended in complete failure
    nothing good came from it. Not a single thing,
    just death and destruction, and a few good protest songs.

Auto Donk

this did happen.....

f'n vc....

hey snowy, "you got girlfriend vietnam????"

Auto Donk

mcnamara and the cia goons in vietnam in the 50's should have been removed from the herd.....

we shoulda let ho chi have the f'n country and never worried about any of it....

58,000 plus americans would have never died there, nor hundreds of thousands of other amercians wounded there.....

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Incredible series so far. Gut wrenching stories and amazing insight from when government was just as corrupt as it's always been, but actually recorded their conversations/calls.

No political side without blame on this one. From JFK worrying about getting re-elected, to the memo from McNamara deep into the war that said "We're in Vietnam 10% to help the South Vietnamese, 20% to hold back the Chinese, and 70% to save American face." is eye opening (and sickening)

Episode 5 was last night and it was the end of 1967 with over 20k US soldiers dead. There is a feeling that everyone (supporting the South) wants to find a way out and is looking for an exit strategy. Yet we know over 58,000 US soldiers died and that the war was far from over.

A must watch.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Excellent, as with every Burns project.

Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Gulf of Tonkin was a false flag / BS event
    just like all the others. LBJ used this event
    to order the murders of innocent people,
    and the effort ended in complete failure
    nothing good came from it. Not a single thing,
    just death and destruction, and a few good protest songs.

A few good protest songs like the band buffalo springfields For what its worth.
    The band said they didnt want to be just another band with a protest song. The lyrics of the song is kinda of vague but you knew the song was important. I did not experience the 60s im a 80s child. I just know good music when I hear it.Grew up with the post vietnam vet tv shows like the A-Team Magnum P.I. Miami Vice. Also including all the movies and tv shows about the war in vietnam. I went to see a author, ohio state professor speaking talking about the protest on ohio state campus in the 1960s recently.Everything he said the left was doing was considered radical then was pretty tame compared to what is happening now. It sounded like there was some regret what the left had done.The audience was what i would consider pretty old over 65 or older. The radical left youth of today are just considering blood shed now and just shutting the whole goverment system and business system down. If they cant do that then they dont want any part of the system.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by Capitols44 View Post
    The radical left youth of today are just considering blood shed now and just shutting the whole goverment system and business system down. If they cant do that then they dont want any part of the system.
    That's because it's all a lot worse now. The hippies and beat generation had viable ways
    to drop out of society and still thrive, that is much harder today.