El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

OKC Bomb Plot Foiled

A "right wing" nut job was going to pull a Timothy McVeigh and kill people and blow up a government building. Good job by the FBI!...or was it?

So, the short story is Jerry Drake Varnell (three names, so he is a bad guy) was on Facebook saying some anti-government things, he's going to blow up the Federal Reserve OKC style, yada yada yada other crazy shit. So, Jerry got chatting with someone on facebook who narked him out to the Feds. For 8 months, they used this source to listen in on Jerry, then introduced an undercover FBI Agent. The FBI Agent gives him transportation and a fake bomb to detonate near a bank in OKC instead of the Federal Reserve. Jerry goes through with it and they arrest him for 18 USC 844 intent to blow up a federal building with explosives. Penalty: 5 - 20 years.

The facts are Jerry is full blown schizophrenic. Has no money, no car, no bomb making materials. The FBI kept hammering that he intended to commit this act. Ok, then why did the Federal Reserve turn into a closer target, an OKC bank? Of course it had to be a Federally owned building. Did the Feds not want to cut a check for the travel expenses to D.C.? This whole thing wreaks of entrapment and manipulation to me.

Why not charge him with making threats (a lesser charge) arrest him for a charge that is most likely going to carry a max charge of 5 years? Or better yet, get his parents more involved, restrict his internet access and get him the medical help he needs? His family knows he is schizophrenic, said he got obsessed with conspiracy theories and anonymous and other things that fueled his paranoia. His family said he chased around imaginary trolls and tried to make gold for fukk's sake. He was arrested for beating his wife and raping her when he believed he was going to die at midnight and needed to impregnate her in a schizophrenic episode. He received a deferred sentence for that. And the FBI is painting this kid to be Timothy McVeigh???

Here is the press conference. Some reporters try to bring up the possible entrapment here.

BTW this "bunker" that Jerry was going to use to wait out the end of the world in was an old shipping container. Guy had no guns, no weapons to cause mass casualties, and now the Feds are trying to paint this as a win against domestic terrorism when in actuality, they took advantage of a mentally ill, poor, 23 year old. Now, his family will be branded as parents to a terrorist. I'm sure they will live out the rest of their days happily. Hopefully, Jerry gets his time in a hospital as he clearly needs medical treatment and not a super max prison. This is a very slippery slope to me. The Feds are claiming intent when they knew or should have known everything about Jerry, including the fact that his parents had guardianship of him and a court found him incompetent. Can a schizophrenic have intent when he's chasing trolls and has a questionable grip on reality?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/family-...schizophrenic/

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state...49884f98a.html
    Last edited by El Nino; 08-17-17 at 09:35 PM.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

As the moral authority here I say that both sides are at fault and share the blame. He did think he was going to blow a bomb up and kill people. I say cut the 20 years and give him 10, out in 7 with good behaviorz

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    As the moral authority here I say that both sides are at fault and share the blame. He did think he was going to blow a bomb up and kill people. I say cut the 20 years and give him 10, out in 7 with good behaviorz
    I can see that argument. I just feel like at some point the FBI had all the info to say, this guy is bat shit crazy, but is he really a threat? It's an interesting discussion to have as far as entrapment goes. Or jail vs. Mental illness help.

I can't see the Secret Service investigating a schizophrenic guy making death threats against the President, giving him a rifle with blanks in it and dropping him off on Pennsylvania Avenue. I think there is a middle ground there where you can still arrest him or monitor him or have him committed to a mental health facility.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

lol... there was no bomb, hilarious how the government is busy setting up kids.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    lol... there was no bomb, hilarious how the government is busy setting up kids.
    I was pretty chilled at how far the government will go to get a "win." I will be following this case.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Is this one of those times when the federales provided the bomb and then set the kid up?

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    I was pretty chilled at how far the government will go to get a "win." I will be following this case.
    reminds me when they setup the kid in the NYC bombing so they could spread their fear which wasn't real. Then they lost control of ISIS and it became a real threat. But, back when they set the kid up there was no threat whatsoever lol

just useless organizations trying to make everyone feel that they are an important use of tax dollars

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Is this one of those times when the federales provided the bomb and then set the kid up?
    Yes. A schizophrenic guy. It's worth the time to watch the press conference to hear the feds describe the investigation. Then, draw your own conclusions. There are already articles popping up from family members. One guy's cousin dated him. Said when Jerry didn't take his meds, he ran around hunting for leprechauns and gold.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    reminds me when they setup the kid in the NYC bombing so they could spread their fear which wasn't real. Then they lost control of ISIS and it became a real threat. But, back when they set the kid up there was no threat whatsoever lol

just useless organizations trying to make everyone feel that they are an important use of tax dollars
    Yep. I guarantee the two FBI guys in that press conference were told, stay on message. We were protecting OKC, the public was never in harm's way.

Which begs the question: were the citizens of OKC in harm's way before Jerry met up with the undercover FBI agent?

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    As the moral authority here I say that both sides are at fault and share the blame. He did think he was going to blow a bomb up and kill people...
    He may or may not have understood that what he was doing was wrong or what he was doing for that matter, at least from a legally insane type standpoint for a court of law.

Sounds like the Feds could have handled this case differently. You can't really make an example out of him because schizophrenic people who can make threats but not carry them out wouldn't learn from this.

It seems like the only thing anyone can learn is that terrorist recruiters and enablers can find these guys on things like social media and then give them the actual means.

Nice going FBI.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Yes. A schizophrenic guy. It's worth the time to watch the press conference to hear the feds describe the investigation. Then, draw your own conclusions. There are already articles popping up from family members. One guy's cousin dated him. Said when Jerry didn't take his meds, he ran around hunting for leprechauns and gold.
    I do that every day at the sports book.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

Google search ruby ridge

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    He may or may not have understood that what he was doing was wrong or what he was doing for that matter, at least from a legally insane type standpoint for a court of law.

Sounds like the Feds could have handled this case differently. You can't really make an example out of him because schizophrenic people who can make threats but not carry them out wouldn't learn from this.

It seems like the only thing anyone can learn is that terrorist recruiters and enablers can find these guys on things like social media and then give them the actual means.

Nice going FBI.
    I assume he'll undergo an extensive psych eval. I'll take it at face value that he knew he was going to blow up a bomb and kill people. If it comes out that he had no clue what he was doing, then of course let him go but I can't see the FBI's motive for going through all this only to have a guy on the hook that didn't even understand their was a bomb involved and death was a likely outcome. The FBI does get legal counsel during the process of these setups, so hopefully they got that part right.

Even Arnie understood match in the gas tank, boom boom
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave The Kraken 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.