Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

well, THIS should certainly throw a wrench in things.......

Obama’s viral tweet is wrong: Research shows babies are totally racist

Infants have to be carefully taught not to hate things different than them, instead of the other way around

In what soon became the world’s most liked tweet, former president Barack Obama this week responded to a white supremacist march in Charlottesville, Virginia by posting a famous quote from South African leader Nelson Mandela.

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion,” reads the quote, which is pulled from Mandela’s 1994 autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom.

Two subsequent tweets then finish the quote, “people must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

The quote is a nice sentiment, but it doesn’t quite line up with science. According to a growing body of infant research, racism is often a default setting for babies. Tolerance, not racism, is what needs to be hammered into young minds.

“Parents do not teach children to be biased,” said Kang Lee, a human development researcher at the University of Toronto.

Lee said that while a racist parent can exploit a child’s innate biases, most children will organically begin to dismiss other races soon after their birth.

Mandela was correct in that no baby is born with inherent prejudices. But at around six months, the average infant will automatically begin to distrust anything that looks and sounds different than their parents.

“Because most of us are born into monoracial environments we start to show preferences for own-race individuals, and then we start to show biases,” he said.

The baby begins to associate positive things, such as happy music, with their own race. Sad music gets associated with other races. Foreign languages and accents, meanwhile, sound scary and unfamiliar.

“If they hear English, they prefer English — they don’t like people who speak French,” said Lee.

Much of Lee’s research has focused on tracking the eye movements of young children to gauge their racial preference. A June study exposed infants to images of ethnically diverse faces, and discovered that the babies spent most of their time looking at the faces that most resembled their parents.

“Caucasian infants look longer at Caucasian faces than at other-race ones,” it read, adding “when the same Caucasian and Asian faces are shown to Asian three-month-olds … they look more at the Asian faces.”

Documented in numerous other studies around the world, it’s been called the Other Race Effect, the inability of infants to distinguish the faces of ethnicities they aren’t used to.

Spontaneous outpourings of childhood racial bigotry can sometimes emerge on the first day of preschool. In a February article in Today’s Parent, a Toronto parent expressed horror that her four-year-old son stopped playing with black children and declared his sudden dislike for NHLer P.K. Subban.

“He had been obsessed with P.K. since age two. Suddenly, he refused to wear his P.K. jersey or sleep with his P.K. doll,” said the mother, whose name was not used in the story.

Another of Lee’s tests exposed seven-month-olds to a video of a human face that would gaze at different corners of the screen, after which pleasing images of animals would appear in those corners.

Across the board, babies were more likely to trust the face’s “predictions” if it matched their own race — even if the faces were wrong.

Of course, the outcomes of these kinds of tests are much different for babies who grew up around other races.

An illuminating 2006 study out of Tel-Aviv University exposed three-month-olds to a gallery of black and white faces. Caucasian Israelis favoured white faces and African Ethiopians favoured black faces. However, Israeli Ethiopian babies — who lived in predominantly white surroundings — showed no preference for either.

“Early preferences for own-race faces may contribute to race-related biases later in life,” read the study.

Lee has been trying for 10 years to gauge the implicit biases of babies from mixed-race households, but even in Toronto, Lee’s lab has not been able to recruit enough mixed-race babies to study.

Raising a child free of racism is generally a simple matter of getting the children accustomed to other races. Lee compared it to how sushi gained a hold on the North American palate.

Critically, said Lee, the children must never be told that the figures they’re seeing are a different race than them.

A white child should be exposed to public figures like Barack Obama, for instance, but without parents explicitly specifying that Obama is a black man.

“If you do that, you actually increase the racial biases, even if you’re talking about positive things — this is the mistake we’ve been making,” Lee said.

In a recent study, Lee and fellow researchers tested the theory on children in a Chinese preschool.

In one test, children were asked to look at non-Chinese faces and match one of the faces with a portrait they were provided.. In another, children were asked simply to sort the non-Chinese faces by “white” and “black.”

“Individuation training significantly reduced Chinese children’s implicit racial bias against Blacks and Whites, but mere exposure did not,” the study found.

Mandela’s quote was taken from a section of his autobiography that describes his inauguration following South Africa’s first free elections after decades of apartheid. Even during his 27-year imprisonment, Mandela said that he never doubted such a day would come.

“I always knew that deep down in every heart there is mercy and generosity,” he wrote.

This sentiment is indeed finding footing in science.

At Yale University’s Infant Cognition Center — run by Saskatchewan-raised researcher Karen Wynn — tests keep showing that babies are inherently moral beings who understand the difference between right and wrong.

The only trick is getting those babies to show kindness to the babies who don’t look like them.

As Paul Bloom, a collaborator with the centre wrote in a lengthy piece for The New York Times, “our initial moral sense appears to be biased toward our own kind.”

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

It's so simple and intuitive though. It is virtuous to look out for your children, your family, your extended family and be biased for these people. But all of a sudden white people who want to look out for or favor their race are evil? LOL

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    It's so simple and intuitive though. It is virtuous to look out for your children, your family, your extended family and be biased for these people. But all of a sudden white people who want to look out for or favor their race are evil? LOL
    Yeah you have to be black to be proud of your race. They are allowed to have all kinds of stuff too like black history month. If your proud of being white you are a rascist though and you are supposed to be ashamed if you are white. That's the way it feels.

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

The kid had a P.K. Subban doll he slept with? Jfc

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

being "discriminate" is often confused with being racist. Every single person on Earth discriminates. It is apart of our human nature and the instincts that kept us alive for 100k+ years and keep us alive still.

Auto Donk

im still waiting for the study that tells me why my dogs attack black people in the neighborhood on sight, and bark loudly at mexicans passing by, even though they don't understand english......

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

What does "favoring your own race" have to do with the virtue of protecting your own family? You realize not all white people are related, correct?

dlowilly

Quote Originally Posted by chargers4222 View Post
    What does "favoring your own race" have to do with the virtue of protecting your own family? You realize not all white people are related, correct?
    Jesus Christ liberals are so fuking stupid

Notice the trend: Children->Family->Extended Family

Genetic similarity gets less and less but is still there

Family is about genetics. People have an instinct to protect and favor those who are closest to themselves genetically to ensure survival of their own genetics. White people have similar genetics also and the same instinct applies. Of course it is less than your instinct for your own children but it's there. No one questions someone's bias towards their family but libs go nuts about white people worrying about the white race

Sometimes I forget most libtards slept through Biology 101

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

It's time to just start throwing haymakers everywhere.

Auto Donk

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB

chargers4222

Jesus Christ liberals are so fuking stupid

Notice the trend: Children->Family->Extended Family

Genetic similarity gets less and less but is still there

Family is about genetics. People have an instinct to protect and favor those who are closest to themselves genetically to ensure survival of their own genetics. White people have similar genetics also and the same instinct applies. Of course it is less than your instinct for your own children but it's there. No one questions someone's bias towards their family but libs go nuts about white people worrying about the white race

Sometimes I forget most libtards slept through Biology 101
    You have literally zero insight into my political leanings. You're the reason that real conversations cannot be had in this country. I ask a question and you go straight to "libtard." So f***ing embarrassing.

Do you not cringe when you ready your own comments? You don't see how your opinions are instantly delegitimized when you rely on parroting political terms like this? You're an embarrassment, dude. You're the sheep. I know you think everyone else is a sheep, but I promise, you're the sheep.

And that's not even mentioning the uproariously hilarious and blatantly false statement you responded with. I asked if you believe all white people are related, and you vehemently denied this idea by restating that you believe all white people are related.

It's embarrassing. You're embarrassing.

dlowilly

You have literally zero insight into my political leanings. You're the reason that real conversations cannot be had in this country. I ask a question and you go straight to "libtard." So f***ing embarrassing.

Do you not cringe when you ready your own comments? You don't see how your opinions are instantly delegitimized when you rely on parroting political terms like this? You're an embarrassment, dude. You're the sheep. I know you think everyone else is a sheep, but I promise, you're the sheep.

And that's not even mentioning the uproariously hilarious and blatantly false statement you responded with. I asked if you believe all white people are related, and you vehemently denied this idea by restating that you believe all white people are related.
    It is hard to keep track of everyone on here so before I responded I went through your recent post history. Comical how so many libtards don't want to be considered a leftist libtard, yet that is how they act and post. You can call yourself whatever you want, I'll call you what you are.

That "uproariously hilarious and blatantly false" statement I made is basic Biology 101. We get it, you libtards hate logic and hate science. Gravity is still there though, along with other laws of nature. Just because you can't understand and distinguish between a common gene pool and being related doesn't mean the natural instincts aren't there. It really is simple, the closer to you people are genetically, the stronger the instinct to ensure their survival. Whites are much more similar to other whites than blacks for example, and while the instinct isn't as strong as with one's child it is still there with your own race, and perfectly natural. Hell, it's even condoned and celebrated for blacks, but villified for whites. This is the basic driving force behind our existence here on Earth, and you want to say it's blatantly false. From a scientific stand point we breath so we can eat so we can screw so we can have children so our genetics survive. Stick your head back in the sand and tell yourself how false that is

chargers4222

It is hard to keep track of everyone on here so before I responded I went through your recent post history. Comical how so many libtards don't want to be considered a leftist libtard, yet that is how they act and post. You can call yourself whatever you want, I'll call you what you are.

That "uproariously hilarious and blatantly false" statement I made is basic Biology 101. We get it, you libtards hate logic and hate science. Gravity is still there though, along with other laws of nature. Just because you can't understand and distinguish between a common gene pool and being related doesn't mean the natural instincts aren't there. It really is simple, the closer to you people are genetically, the stronger the instinct to ensure their survival. Whites are much more similar to other whites than blacks for example, and while the instinct isn't as strong as with one's child it is still there with your own race, and perfectly natural. Hell, it's even condoned and celebrated for blacks, but villified for whites. This is the basic driving force behind our existence here on Earth, and you want to say it's blatantly false. From a scientific stand point we breath so we can eat so we can screw so we can have children so our genetics survive. Stick your head back in the sand and tell yourself how false that is
    Guy, you're an embarrassment. You're the reason the people you support can't be taken seriously. Hillary sucks too. You all suck.

dlowilly

Guy, you're an embarrassment. You're the reason the people you support can't be taken seriously. Hillary sucks too. You all suck.

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1802

im no obama supporter but babies born racist is probably the most ignorant statement ever. what about mixed race babies? some of them grow up to be racist and they arent born with it. clearly

Auto Donk

Quote Originally Posted by alling View Post
    im no obama supporter but babies born racist is probably the most ignorant statement ever. what about mixed race babies? some of them grow up to be racist and they arent born with it. clearly
    they pretty much hate everybody

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Appeal to authority

If I had a nickel for every study that was poorly conducted and worthless I'd be a millionaire many times over

Don't get so excited because a study says so, or some guy from a college says so. It's simply one piece to a bigger puzzle that ultimately disagrees with their viewpoints

But if you go into a problem searching for a certain answer, you're likely to find it.