Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Amazon Questions

Hello SBR Crew,

I'm a "sometimes" user of Amazon. (who isn't)

I'm aware of the "Amazon Prime" offer.

I think it's about $100 USD per year.

Their offer is SOME items will be shipped free.

I don't think there's a way to find out what those items are in advance.

I've heard their "recurring annual fee" (I hate that concept) can be easily escaped should one decide to do so.

Can any SBR members, who are Amazon Prime members, elaborate on whether they think it's worth it to be an Amazon Prime member?

My consideration of becoming a member is only for a reduced shipping cost. I know their proposal is "You can get Amazon streaming of your favorite TV shows and latest movies."
    Assuming one doesn't watch too much TV (and by the way, STREAMING is "jumpy", unlike regular cable viewing), do SBR members, who are Amazon Prime members, feel it's worth it to have Amazon Prime? (just from a "free shipping perspective)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Is their **** card worth it? I'll bet there's an annual fee and you gotta jump through hoops to get out of it if ya want.

Thanks to the Crew!

dbartinbwgc
    dbartinbwgc's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21539

Yes you can do a search for a item and there is a place to check for PRIME eligible.
    There is a way to get prime about half off $49 a year instead of $99 a year.
    Just need to do a few steps to get it. The way I did it was sign up for a student prime account.
    You need a .edu email but you can easily get of from any community college.
    Yes you have to apply for admission but almost all community colleges accept everyone.
    As soon as your accepted you get a email address even if you dont enroll in classes.
    Just keep the email active or linked to another email, I send some ads and forward a few things there
    every so often.
    We use Prime a lot and just started using the prime video
    Also with some colleges are enrolled in microsoft's education deal
    so all students can get free office download(mac or PC)
    also good idea to have a .edu email a lot of places offer student discounts
    just need email to send to or order from, ex:best buy

lom bylyri
    lom bylyri's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

The question if it's worth or not to pay $99 a year for free shipping is very much in connection with the answer to the other question : How much do you use or intend to use Amazon. If over 10 or 15 times per year, you'll get your money's worth right there. I use my son's account who is a student without a problem, so that's my escape. But just today I tried to order some H&S shampoo and saw some thing called " Pantry". Even with Prime didn't let me get it with free shipping without being like 5 items ordered. Never seen it before. Again, with the shipping rates being as they are, if you order a lot from Amazon, which I don't see why not ...it is worth it, IMO. Hope this helps.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20012

Not only do you get free 2-day shipping, but Prime Video really makes it worth it. Bosch, especially.

VeggieDog

Oh, and one more thing. I buy quite a bit of stuff on Amazon and I can't remember the last time something wasn't listed as Prime Eligible. They have a ton of stuff listed like that.

Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Thanks a lot, guys.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Just using Amazon Prime for the Video service and Amazon music is worth $120 a year for me. Then add in free 2-day shipping... it's pretty much a no-brainer

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16061

River in South America

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5940

You don't have to pay for Prime at all

Do free trial, then when it runs out do it again under new email address/account

Repeat

retard
    retard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

Prime is not worth it. Do the prime trial and cancel the auto renewal

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6206

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Not only do you get free 2-day shipping, but Prime Video really makes it worth it. Bosch, especially.
    Yep, good show

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Oh, and one more thing. I buy quite a bit of stuff on Amazon and I can't remember the last time something wasn't listed as Prime Eligible. They have a ton of stuff listed like that.
    Ditto

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

Quote Originally Posted by retard View Post
    Prime is not worth it. Do the prime trial and cancel the auto renewal
    It's well worth it in my opinion since we buy everything from Amazon. The Prime Video is also a plus.

stevek173

Watching Sneaky Pete now.

It's good.

Capitols44
    Capitols44's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    You don't have to pay for Prime at all

Do free trial, then when it runs out do it again under new email address/account

Repeat
    Dont they have software to prevent this from happening? You would think after using the same mailing address they would force you to pay for it.

Capitols44

How do you keep getting new adresses? Thats money still out

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I just make a new email address and a new amazon acct every time I expect to do some heavy shopping at Amazon. Yes, I know I'm a cheap fuk. The funny thing is... once you cancel... you now can get up to 2 months FREE.

I'm not paying $100 a year.

You guys are probably saying... how does Amazon allow it? Well maybe Russian Rocket can check in and verify this? Or some computer expert. You can't use the IP address from your home network 24/7. Amazon records this. You have to sign up using your Mobile device... I use Sprint... and Sprint apparently somehow changes the IP where I'm located ever so often. That's why Amazon allows this. Works like a charm.

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I just make a new email address and a new amazon acct every time I expect to do some heavy shopping at Amazon. Yes, I know I'm a cheap fuk. The funny thing is... once you cancel... you now can get up to 2 months FREE.

I'm not paying $100 a year.

You guys are probably saying... how does Amazon allow it? Well maybe Russian Rocket can check in and verify this? Or some computer expert. You can't use the IP address from your home network 24/7. Amazon records this. You have to sign up using your Mobile device... I use Sprint... and Sprint apparently somehow changes the IP where I'm located ever so often. That's why Amazon allows this. Works like a charm.
    I do this as well except I just sign up from home.

Been doing it for years, no issues.

Highly recommended.

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by Capitols44 View Post
    How do you keep getting new adresses? Thats money still out
    You can make as many email addresses as you want for free.

Capitols44

i meant mail addresses

stevek173

Oh they don't detect that, or name or anything else. Just need a new email address each time and you're good to go.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22611

The third-party sellers who use amazon as a storefront do not honor the free/reduced shipping if they have to ship it themselves. It tells you that before checking out. Sometimes the item is cheaper even with paying the shipping, so do your homework.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    I do this as well except I just sign up from home.

Been doing it for years, no issues.

Highly recommended.
    I had an issue with my IP from home. I made a new email address and also new amazon account... and also a new CC that was never used at Amazon. Amazon didn't allow me the Free Prime Trial.

I waited a few days and used my Mobile Data on my cell. New email address... new amazon account... and it worked. Once you click free trial on your phone... you can log on from home... once everything is set.

I wasn't as lucky as you setting up from home anymore. Has to be done on my Mobile Data from my phone.

VeggieDog

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    The third-party sellers who use amazon as a storefront do not honor the free/reduced shipping if they have to ship it themselves. It tells you that before checking out. Sometimes the item is cheaper even with paying the shipping, so do your homework.
    Be careful. If it's a third party seller you don't really know the source of the item. I'm a third-party seller on another site and believe me, you don't want to know where I get the stuff I'm selling.

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I had an issue with my IP from home. I made a new email address and also new amazon account... and also a new CC that was never used at Amazon. Amazon didn't allow me the Free Prime Trial.

I waited a few days and used my Mobile Data on my cell. New email address... new amazon account... and it worked. Once you click free trial on your phone... you can log on from home... once everything is set.

I wasn't as lucky as you setting up from home anymore. Has to be done on my Mobile Data from my phone.
    Interesting.

I'll keep that in mind while continuing to rip Amazon off.

Thank you.