captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10674

If you were on jury how would you have voted?

Here is a summed up version . I was watching Hear no evil on ID channel and saw this.

A chilling audio recording of the murder of teenage cousins Nick Brady and Haile Kifer by Minnesota homeowner Byron Smith has been made public.

Brady, 17, and Kifer, 18, broke into his Smith's home, unarmed, in the early morning of Thanksgiving Day in 2012. Smith had hidden his car to make it appear nobody was home.

The teens had no idea he was armed and waiting for intruders from this chair in his basement with an audio recorder set up on the bookshelf.

Rifles owned by Smith, 65, had been stolen from his home days prior to the killings. Smith claimed that he feared for his life and had shot the teens in self-defense. Jurors, however, determined that he had intended to kill the teen intruders all along.

The court heard that Smith had lain in wait in an armchair in his basement with a loaded rifle and pistol, a lengthy book, energy snacks and water seemingly biding his time, waiting for something to happen.

A bit more on this. He was robbed 12 (That is TWELVE )The past few years. Police did nothing. He set up a camera and a recorder and it clearly shows the boy breaking in. He at least did it twice before. Once, the guys door was rattled and when he looked through the keyhole he saw 2 people wearing masks basically harassing him. Pretty sure it was the same kid shot and either the girl or another boy he has as a lookout at times. He also did assassinate them. His home was destroyed by being ransacked before and he had things stolen along with thousands of dollars.

He was found guilty of murder on 2 counts and has 2 life sentences . Me- i hate thieves and criminals. When someone enters your home that puts it at a whole new level. I feel thieves should have ZERO rights and the homeowner should have every right. The jury felt he baited them by moving his car . So what - it was his car . That does not give them the right to break in. And in the recording he says at the end "Now i do not have to live in fear anymore". So he kills 2 home intruders and he gets put away for life in prison. I would have gave him a high -five.

How would you have voted?

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

No, i don't think it's right to bait someone into a house to slaughter them ... call the cops, and defend yourself if necessary, thieves will most likely run, they don't like confrontation, they probably need money to fuel addictions or for whatever reasons, some kids just like being rebels and like adridline and this kind of stuff does that.. it's just stuff, no reason to die over or kill for..

most dont know what they are doing or the items they are taking, the sentimental value they hold. There ignorance isn't an excuse but an explanation to help some realize, that people running out of a gas station with a case of beer or going into someone's house to steal some stuff is a gradual dysfunction that some fall in to. They need help, not to be slaughtered ..

this wasnt a righteous act and looks of a hero. This sounds like a selfish prick that wanted " to get back " at the " varmen " that sacked his house.. does he deserve life in a prison .. probably not, i'd say he needs help just like the thief except his help was a little more dire in need then the thieves ...

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    No, i don't think it's right to bait someone into a house to slaughter them ... call the cops, and defend yourself if necessary, thieves will most likely run, they don't like confrontation, they probably need money to fuel addictions or for whatever reasons, some kids just like being rebels and like adridline and this kind of stuff does that.. it's just stuff, no reason to die over or kill for..

most dont know what they are doing or the items they are taking, the sentimental value they hold. There ignorance isn't an excuse but an explanation to help some realize, that people running out of a gas station with a case of beer or going into someone's house to steal some stuff is a gradual dysfunction that some fall in to. They need help, not to be slaughtered ..

this wasnt a righteous act and looks of a hero. This sounds like a selfish prick that wanted " to get back " at the " varmen " that sacked his house.. does he deserve life in a prison .. probably not, i'd say he needs help just like the thief except his help was a little more dire in need then the thieves ...

Well at least you said he probably does not deserve life in prison. At least we agree on that. But there are a lot of people making this guy out to be a monster. He never had a stalked or stolen or harassed anyone. The guy just had enough . Robbed 12 times and you catch someone in the act i can see him wanting revenge and doing it. I would have found him guilty of something like lying to the police which he did. But he also said he was not going to live in fear anymore . That right there tells you he had enough. Police did not help him the other 11 times. I am i know biased though because i live ion a bad area and hate it when people steal and harass the innocent around here. This guy was innocent inside his own house. They chose to break in .

Also the baiting them to come in. I really do not buy that. I know technically yea that is what he did. But like i said before if you want to park your car down the street there is nothing illegal about that. He had every right to do that. They however did not have the right to go into his house to rob it just because they did not see his car. If he wants to park his car 5 blocks away he can, if he wants to set up bear traps and land mines in his own home he can. If someone wants to break in his home and step on a bear trap well that is too bad for them because they should not be breaking into his home.

It is funny because you are not the only one who feels like that about the "Luring"them in with his car moved. I just do not get that . Like it is all his fault because he "Made"them break in to rob him because his car was not there. But like i said i live in Camden i am probably biased.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Moving the car is important as it shows pre-meditation and intent, both important.

I believe he set the trap and killed the kids. For this reason I agree with the verdict. He took a chance and got caught. Regardless how any of us feel about it, there are laws and if you're going to break them, there are consequences. The guy doesn't seem too bright and could have easily pulled this off and not gotten caught

As for the kids, whatever. I don't feel bad they got shot. They were playing a dangerous game and got caught and faced the consequences as well.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

I completely disagree with the verdict.

If someone breaks into your home you should 100% have the right to kill them.

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

he should have shot them in the legs and called the cops - no need to kill the kids

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post

Why not invite them in for dinner, and then when they sit down just shoot them dead, tell the cops the broke in and were stealing your food

Why do Americans want to kill all the time

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

Because you pay how much for your home? You have the right to feel safe in it and to sleep peacefully at night.

Intruders have no rights and deserve zero respect.

bozeman

stevek its not like he was baffled in the middle of the night grabbed a rifle and shot them - he pretty much premeditated a revenge on kids who robbed him 16 times before.

I say I d vote innocent only in case he shot them down in the leg and called the cops - wouldnt have been too hard and fair to the kids who would deserve to see the judge instead of heaven or hell. This way it is a murder - obviously the dude is a bit sick in the head.

JaimeMiro
    JaimeMiro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is sad either way...
    The poor man had been tortured and had tried all he could but to no avail... The system did nothing, so what was he supposed to do? Being America I get that he set a trap and chose the cowardly way: which is clearly premeditated, by setting a trap and killing the kids. Which makes him no different from the criminals even though it's his home as he felt in no way threatened this time around...
    Instead he could have hired some security, caught the idiots and gave them a huge ass whooping before turning them over to the police. That might be illegal in the States, but is standard procedure where I come from and will have resulted in little to no trouble on his end. Now his and the kid's life is over, because of that stupid act of aggression. It's a fine line between good and evil and he crossed it

bozeman

totally agree agree with u jaimemiro - i recall my dad catching two boys and telling them - do u see this tree boys? they nodded. Next time u will be hanging on it by your balls. Kids started to even say hello to my dad from that time on and definitely left us alone.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20397

Not guilty.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

I bet if you all heard the audio tape,, his testimony , and once again more important that audio tape
    you would change your mind a bit

Dude was major overkill, had plenty of time to spare the girls life for sure , but used to seperate guns
    over a 5 minute period

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

This was a rerun... or remake. I remember this story.

1. Kids had no weapons on them. Yes, they broke into the home... yes you have a right to shoot. But this made him look bad.

2. The homeowner had a crazy "anger" about him. Like a loony... this didn't make him look good either.

It definitely makes you think twice before shooting a kid in your own home... that's for sure. This dude was batty crazy.

If the homeowner didn't act so loony.... and acted like a normal human being... chances are he would of never served jail time for this home invasion.

captrobey

Omg this could have been so much worse

Wow i was just thinking how this could have been infinitely worse. This happened on Thanksgiving. Could you imagine what would have happened if this happened around a month later?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Poor execution. Guilty.

Should have put his car in the shop, and got a ride home. Don't record the damn shit either. Just hang out, and wait. Then blast away when they get in with only one gun. Dumb fck.

Verdict: Life for stupidity

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    Here is a summed up version . I was watching Hear no evil on ID channel and saw this.

A chilling audio recording of the murder of teenage cousins Nick Brady and Haile Kifer by Minnesota homeowner Byron Smith has been made public.

Brady, 17, and Kifer, 18, broke into his Smith's home, unarmed, in the early morning of Thanksgiving Day in 2012. Smith had hidden his car to make it appear nobody was home.

The teens had no idea he was armed and waiting for intruders from this chair in his basement with an audio recorder set up on the bookshelf.

Rifles owned by Smith, 65, had been stolen from his home days prior to the killings. Smith claimed that he feared for his life and had shot the teens in self-defense. Jurors, however, determined that he had intended to kill the teen intruders all along.

The court heard that Smith had lain in wait in an armchair in his basement with a loaded rifle and pistol, a lengthy book, energy snacks and water seemingly biding his time, waiting for something to happen.

A bit more on this. He was robbed 12 (That is TWELVE )The past few years. Police did nothing. He set up a camera and a recorder and it clearly shows the boy breaking in. He at least did it twice before. Once, the guys door was rattled and when he looked through the keyhole he saw 2 people wearing masks basically harassing him. Pretty sure it was the same kid shot and either the girl or another boy he has as a lookout at times. He also did assassinate them. His home was destroyed by being ransacked before and he had things stolen along with thousands of dollars.

He was found guilty of murder on 2 counts and has 2 life sentences . Me- i hate thieves and criminals. When someone enters your home that puts it at a whole new level. I feel thieves should have ZERO rights and the homeowner should have every right. The jury felt he baited them by moving his car . So what - it was his car . That does not give them the right to break in. And in the recording he says at the end "Now i do not have to live in fear anymore". So he kills 2 home intruders and he gets put away for life in prison. I would have gave him a high -five.

How would you have voted?
    Saw that on 48 Hours. The MFer just killed the teenage girl who was scared shitless. Would have fried him.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Defend your castle by all means necessary. The guy lived in constant fear and basically went through a mental torture for a very long time.
    The dude was robbed 12 fkng times and police did nothing!!! Any of those times could have easily ended HIS life. So of course he was scared and tried to take justice in his own hands.

Today these teens simply rob someone, tomorrow they rob and kill someone.

The verdict should be Not Guilty.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

GUILTY --- WAVES IS F'N GUILTY.... SCAM ARTIST, 18TH HOLE SHILL, FRAUD, STIFFED DOWNSOUTH OUT OF 72K Betpoints after losing a BET HE PROPOSED.....

GUILTY, GUILTY GUILTY!!!!!

this is yet another "waves is guilty" thread, right...?

I didn't actually read anything above, just figured it was.........

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Defend your castle by all means necessary. The guy lived in constant fear and basically went through a mental torture for a very long time.
    The dude was robbed 12 fkng times and police did nothing!!! Any of those times could have easily ended HIS life. So of course he was scared and tried to take justice in his own hands.

Today these teens simply rob someone, tomorrow they rob and kill someone.

The verdict should be Not Guilty.
    thats crap rocket, yet sin is sin ...

Yea, 12x tho, the same house ... weren't the brightest kids. You call the cops though, follow them if they leave, there's plenty of other options..

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    thats crap rocket, yet sin is sin ...

Yea, 12x tho, the same house ... weren't the brightest kids. You call the cops though, follow them if they leave, there's plenty of other options..
    Freezer, I know it doesn't apply to this story, but can you imagine if you had a little kid in the house and you got robbed 12 times while police did nothing? What would you do?

You can't just rely on someone to save ya- you have to defend yourself.

The guy probably got fed up and saw no other way out of this situation, but to take care of the business himself. It's hard to blame him for it.
    Last edited by Russian Rocket; 05-27-17 at 02:55 PM.

captrobey

I understand what he did was overboard. He did lie to police but you kind of see why he did. If i was on the jury i would say maybe guilty of lying to the police. A slap on the wrist. Because if you listen to the entire thing at the end he says "Now i do not have to live in fear" along that lines. That shows he had been pushed and had enough.

And this bait thing . I know that is what he was aiming for . But how is him parking away from his home make it his fault they broke in his house? It's his car and his house. Noone should break in just because he moved his car. That was nothing illegal on him.I am away right now overnight for a family function. Well my car is not home so i guess that means everyone can break in because it's not there. I guess if they break in and get killed by a trap i set it would be my fault because i baited them. See how crazy that sounds? But that is basically what happened here.

Buffalo Nickle

He was never in fear for his life. He knew who and why. He executed the girl who was apparently not involved in the previous burglaries. Buy a Rottweiler. The guy went looney tunes and was a sadist.

I would have personally fried him and laughed out loud just before I gave him the juice.

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    He was never in fear for his life. He knew who and why. He executed the girl who was apparently not involved in the previous burglaries. Buy a Rottweiler. The guy went looney tunes and was a sadist.

I would have personally fried him and laughed out loud just before I gave him the juice.
    I sort of thought about that with the girl. But they did say they did everything together and she definitely knew what he was doing when he went in there. But when she went into the house i side with how he was . She easily could have assisted him before. Although the more i read the more i think the 2 in the masks was the Nick kid and the other boy.

But i cannot believe how many not only want the guy who was being robbed to be locked away for life but would like to kill him . I just don't get that because he was the victim they broke into his home.

And why should he have to buy a dog lol? Maybe he hates dogs .

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32186

Buffalo Nickle

I sort of thought about that with the girl. But they did say they did everything together and she definitely knew what he was doing when he went in there. But when she went into the house i side with how he was . She easily could have assisted him before. Although the more i read the more i think the 2 in the masks was the Nick kid and the other boy.

But i cannot believe how many not only want the guy who was being robbed to be locked away for life but would like to kill him . I just don't get that because he was the victim they broke into his home.

And why should he have to buy a dog lol? Maybe he hates dogs .
    He was a chicken shit. The girl came down the stairs and he was there waiting on her and said something like "here comes the bitch." She said Oh My God! and started back up the stairs and he killed her like Freddie Krueger.

He was pure scum and needed to be put down. Had worked for the govt and probably killed some people in Latin America in his career trying to throw off the dictators. He got what he deserved.

He was also rich as hell.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post

Only in "stand your ground" states...

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post
    They have another one called see no evil that one is pretty good too . This one was the premier episode .

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Only in "stand your ground" states...
    It drives me nuts that in most states the criminals have more rights then the victims. It should not even be close the homeowner should have all the rights the criminals should have none.

Buffalo Nickle

It drives me nuts that in most states the criminals have more rights then the victims. It should not even be close the homeowner should have all the rights the criminals should have none.
    The criminals do not have any rights in any states. You cannot just execute a person. If you kill someone breaking into your home, you are not going to be charged in any state. But if you execute a person like this guy did, you pay the price. Even Stand Your Ground does not stand in this scenario. You have to have a legit fear for your life and this guy laid out a plan of execution. He could have just filmed it and took it to the cops or the parents.

captrobey

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    The criminals do not have any rights in any states. You cannot just execute a person. If you kill someone breaking into your home, you are not going to be charged in any state. But if you execute a person like this guy did, you pay the price. Even Stand Your Ground does not stand in this scenario. You have to have a legit fear for your life and this guy laid out a plan of execution. He could have just filmed it and took it to the cops or the parents.
    Maybe i am wrong but i thought in most states you are not allowed to shoot someone if they are unarmed. But how are you supposed to know that. I know a guy was arrested and let go in Florida when he saw 2 black guys robbing his neighbors house. So he told the police they were there and if they did not get there he was going to go out there and shoot them. He did . He was found not guilty. That is how it should be.As soon as someone comes in your home that is breaking in they should be stopped and if killed well that is too bad. But again i live in Camden and HATE criminals so i am biased.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    Freezer, I know it doesn't apply to this story, but can you imagine if you had a little kid in the house and you got robbed 12 times while police did nothing? What would you do?

You can't just rely on someone to save ya- you have to defend yourself.

The guy probably got fed up and saw no other way out of this situation, but to take care of the business himself. It's hard to blame him for it.
    Yea, i tried to understand... bit of a complicated one here. i would of probably went with a witty boobie trap or something ...give them something to think about, maybe a broken (fake) Rolex covered in a really sticky apoxy or something ...idk, would need time to think, but in all honesty, he knows they were kids, bad kids, just looking to steal stuff not harm anyone.. he wanted to kill them for stuff, and then waited to kill the girl and all, come on rocket... the last thing on your mind would've been to blast some teenage girl that was with her boyfriend trying to take a Xbox or whatever..
    Last edited by brainfreeze; 05-27-17 at 05:41 PM.

Fidel_CashFlow

the dude wanted to kill someone, simple as that
    they fukked up and gave him that opportunity

To know that he leaned down after shooting her 4 times
    and put the pistol under her chin and shot her brains out
    while at the same time telling her "you're dead"
    while she was completely harmless is despicable
    and why he is now doing life behind bars.

Ted Sampsell-Jones, a criminal law professor at William Mitchell College of Law, said the audio recording was devastating to the defense, noting that Smith’s taunts to the victims don’t show a man in a panic.
    “It was very powerful, and it makes it very clear that ... he didn’t do this because he had to. He did it because he wanted to. And that is not what self-defense is about,” Sampsell-Jones said.
    The recording captured the sounds of Smith shooting Brady as he came down the stairs. Brady groans after the first and second shots, but is silent after a third shot, and Smith can be heard saying, “You’re dead.”
    Prosecutors say Smith put Brady’s body on a tarp and dragged it into another room, then sat down and reloaded his weapon.
    Kifer whispers, “Nick?” A shot is fired, and Kifer screams. Smith apologizes as his gun jams, then fires at Kifer four more times and says: “You’re dying.” A sixth and final shot — Smith described it as a “finishing shot” to investigators — was heard soon after.
    Hatlestad said he felt early on in the trial that the killings were planned. He said the fact that Smith moved his truck from his home was significant, and he was struck that Smith positioned himself at the bottom of the stairs in “a little hidey hole,” with a tarp ready.

Fidel_CashFlow

video is a animation of what happened but the audio is real

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

ps: I agree, that shooting her brains out was a total overkill and he needs to do time for that

1234 Last