Roscoe_Word
    Roscoe_Word's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8667

Being A Sports Bettor

It's very frustrating being in a social environment and having to say "I'm a sports bettor."

Well meaning people invite me to events that, if I attended, would take me away from my computer.
    (smart phone on the run is not an option when making an important bet)

There's such a stereotype out there about sports betting and sports bettors. I don't wanna get technical with these people who simply don't understand.

Why is it a stockbroker or day trader is accepted but being a sports bettor isn't?

Does anyone have any tactful way of a sports bettor handling these aggravating encounters?

Know the SBR Forum is not a psychiatrist's office, but maybe someone has some experience.
    Last edited by Roscoe_Word; 03-23-17 at 10:06 AM.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Just tell them you're a statistical probabilities analyst. If they are female put a hard A at the beginning of analyst.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 398

People don't really like gamblers

ClippersSux
    ClippersSux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1047

Tell them you're a drug dealer. You'll get more respect.

Roscoe_Word

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Just tell them you're a statistical probabilities analyst. If they are female put a hard A at the beginning of analyst.
    Like that one, brother!

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

source photo has no masonic hand sign.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1476

I keep my gambling to myself. I could lose 5k on a meaningless buzzer beat ala okla st vs michigan in a room full of friends and no one would be the wiser.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post

source photo has no masonic hand sign.
    Yeah, a couples guys at my lodge helped me photoshop that between a couple fun rituals and sword sharpening.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2402

If you had nice things to show your success as a sports bettor, then i guess you would be respected. Nice house, car, living well...
    Its the people who look like shit, bald, bad teeth, living at grandmas house looking for cash in the attic, people dont really respect that and would roll their eyes when you say "im a sports bettor"

Shute
    Shute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10850

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    I keep my gambling to myself. I could lose 5k on a meaningless buzzer beat ala okla st vs
    michigan in a room full of friends and no one would be the wiser.
    Like your style.

Roscoe_Word

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    If you had nice things to show your success as a sports bettor, then i guess you would be respected. Nice house, car, living well...
    Its the people who look like shit, bald, bad teeth, living at grandmas house looking for cash in the attic, people dont really respect that and would roll their eyes when you say "im a sports bettor"
    Good Pt! But exterior appearances can be misleading. Warren Buffet still lives in a little house in Omaha, Nebraska.

betakos
    betakos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

Well in Europe people don't take kind a sports bettor and will prefer someone who loses a fortune in the stoke market because he is an 'investor' and not a 'gambler'. Most of the times sports bettors share a part of their winnings with friends but when big losing streaks hit, they keep it to themselves.