The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Plant Based Diet Thread

Anyone here eat this way?

Im gonna start eating more of a whole food, raw diet

Im cutting red meat put first and am going down to one serving of meat per day. Gonna leave eggs for now but will cut them out at some point.

Chicken and Cod are staying for now as well but like I said, only one serving per day

More veges, legumes, grains, greens, fruits, etc....

I used to eat really healthy like this and had so much energy I was bouncing off walls all the time, now Im just tired and can barely roll over to fukk

Anyone here eat mainly a plant based diet? Of so what are your experiences? What resources do you use?

The Kraken

Wthere used to be a poster here, MilwaukeeMilk, and he was a paleotarian or some bullshit

Is he still alive?

The Kraken

Honestly, this thread should be stickied for two reasons
    1.) Nothing is more important to is than good health, and nothing promotes good health more than healthy eating

2.) This is by far the best way to eat. Load up on veges and raw, fresh food. Yes, some of you lazy fukks will have to learn how to halve an apple but good god, 99% of the forum could use a diet overhaul

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Not a bad way to go.....for the most part.

There was a poster named ANTfather that would have been with you 100%. Maybe he'll see this.

The reasons why I don't do this...

1) I love food too much. Been in the industry for so long, and love cooking, there's no way I'm just going to eliminate meat. Plus, most people's gripe is with factory farmed meat, which I don't eat anyway. Just real, organic, natural shit for me.

2) Raw foodists love to ignore things that go against their precious way of life. Smart food scientists think this way of living is foolish. Think about it -- if you were a plant, it is not in your best interest to be harvested and eaten. Plants will, over time, develop ways to prevent this from happening via poisons/toxins things like that. Apple seeds have trace amounts of cyanide in them because of this phenomenon. Raw spinach is not that great for you, believe it or not, because even it has evolved into a defensive plant with mechanisms that punish you for eating it raw. I eat spinach, but I cook it down, always.

Just a heads up. If you want to maximize healthy eating, don't just blindly fall into one category. Eating real, non-****** with cooked food, regardless of what it is, is still the best way to go.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I've been eating a lot of spices right when I wake up. 1 teaspoon of cinamon/curry/basil/parsley/mustard etc. Trying to detox the body

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14356

Tough time of year to start a new diet. Good luck with it if you do.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Kracken will you post a video tutorial of you slicing an apple in half

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

One of my favorites is throwing half cup raw oatmeal, berries or banana, spinach leaves, and whey or peanut butter in a blender with about a cup and a half of water. Breakfast smoothie

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

funny, I thought all male nurses would already be vegetarians
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: sweep

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Kraken, a Vitamix blender helps A LOT with this.

I make a juice every morning with fruit and veg and it COMPLETELY destroys anything you put in it into a silky smooth smoothie, soup or juice. Just now before logging onto SBR, I put in a whole apple(including seeds and core), half a lime(skin on), spinach, raspberries, coconut water, flax seeds and chia seeds and honey. It never leaves and chunks or lumps from anything, including strawberry seeds to avocado pits.

I also make a lot of soup with it, you can throw in the raw ingredients and you have hot soup within 5 minutes or so. The motor is so powerful the friction heats whatever you have in there the longer you keep it in.

I highly recommend this product for anyone that wants to get healthier and wants more raw food, fruit and veg in their diet.

I use it AT LEAST once a day, sometimes up to 3 times a day...easy to clean too.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Wthere used to be a poster here, MilwaukeeMilk, and he was a paleotarian or some bullshit

Is he still alive?
    mike is back to eating meat.

when he was a vegetarian, he never ate any fruit or veg, all he ate was carbs...I use to tell him he was a carbatarian because all he ate was pasta, pizza, potatoes etc etc.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Don't give up meat protein or eggs unless you want to lose muscle mass. If you drop red meat from your diet you will need to take an iron supplement.

Most people do the healthy diet thing wrong and end up looking like terminal cancer patients.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1165

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    Don't give up meat protein or eggs unless you want to lose muscle mass. If you drop red meat from your diet you will need to take an iron supplement.
    Most people do the healthy diet thing wrong and end up looking like terminal cancer patients.
    Yes.. Remember, we are carnivores..

Ian
    Tank Man Lives
    Ian's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33426

Anyone here eat this way?
    Sort of. I follow Michael Pollan's advice to Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. From what I have read, cooking veggies makes them easier to digest than eating them raw, and in my experience cooking usually makes them taste better too. I still eat some raw veggies, just not exclusively raw.

Best tip I have for living this way is to cook up big batches of stuff when you have free time. I'll spend half an hour making tuna salad or quinoa salad or something and have lunches for 4 or 5 days. Cooking large amounts of rice is another winner. You can have the rice as a side for one dinner, and then have enough left over for fried rice for a couple dinners.

Good luck...

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Mediterranean diet here, only eat meat about once every 3-4 weeks.
    I make my own pizza and can live on spinach pies, broccoli pies, minestrone,
    other soups, potatoes, bread, fruit, nuts, vegs, oatmeal, black bean burritos,
    pinto beans, cannelini beans, navy beans, red kindey, salad is ok, feta cheese
    and fila bread, olive oil, celery, garlic, onion, mushrooms, anchovies, all that.
    Never do I eat eggs unless it's in certain baked goods. Love pastries and Italian
    bakeries. Sometimes I'll have a veggie burger. Pancakes, maple syrup, honey,
    more potatoes, cheese, hot sauce, marinara, manicotti, ravoili, gnocci, peanut
    butter, you get the idea...reserve the right to eat meat if I want, but don't really
    enjoy it. Been so many years I've eaten this way. Noodles and stir fry, spring rolls.
    Rice and soy sauce hoisin sauce crab rangoon and bouillabaisse, stuffed quahogs
    and clam cakes and chowdah.. calamari with ring peppers... :-P

KnockEmDown
    KnockEmDown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2085

Planning on going on my own "ideal protein" diet. I lost 45 lbs in 4 months last time and 30 lbs in the first 2 months. I reduced my red meat to once a week and ate one serving of lean white meat for lunch or dinner. Increased my meals (veggies with every meal) to 5 or 6 times a days, but overall calories were reduced by comparison of eating 3 times/day a with one meal usually close to or exceeding 1000cal. Breakfast will be eggs (with yoke) in any form with raw veggies. Will take one Trutein protein shake per day to supplement for lack of meat and curb any hunger, especially in the first 2 weeks. Going to cut out all unhealthy carbs, and reduce dairy as well. The key to this diet is keep your Keytone level active, which naturally keeps your body targeting and burning fat. Also will take vitamin supplements of cinnamon (20 minutes before eating fruit/carb), calcium, magnesium, and flaxseed oil. If you miss eating sandwiches, one alternative for bread is to use eggplant, just slice up (warm up a little). In the summer I substitute frozen grapes for sweet snacks/dessert.

I am glad you started this thread Kraken, kind of feeling motivated now. Ok, time to grab some ice cream.

The Kraken

So we've got a decent collective of healthy eating ideas here

The mediteranean diet is appealing for many reasons and I have a feeling as I get further jnto this, thats more the direction I' ll head

Im not trying to reinvent the wheel or be creative, Im just trying to cut shit out of my diet and replace it with fruits, veges, beans and healthy grains.

Im also not trying to be all or right now. The goal is to eventually cut most meat out of my diet, but for now fish, chicken and eggs gotta stay until I can figure out what in this new way of eating can replace them.

Glad to see peeps checking in, hopefully it can be kept up with as a good resource. Eating this way is actually against the grain in america, so its not easy. America is setup for the SAD diet

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8440

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by AntiGold View Post
    My diet is on 90% consists of fruits, vegetables and nuts. Usually the other 10% is a raw fish, but on Tenerife, where I'm right now, sashimi suck big time, so I eat local grilled tuna and seabass instead.
    Something about this new poster makes me want to post this...

Not sure what it is exactly, but something.

Carry on...

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I'm a Vage atarion.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Food has become such an art form to strictly limit yourself is really pissing away the benefit of being alive in the times we live. Stick to your chosen diet M-F, but my god enjoy life and new food experiences in social settings on the weekends. Travel and compare local and regional cuisines, domestic and international. So be it if there's a beautiful steak in there.
    Points Awarded:

DwightShrute gave MinnesotaFats 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

The Kraken

I have the resources I need to succeed

Now its will power. Whether I fail or succeed will be up to me.

Also, joined a Bickram Yoga gym with a couple nurses I work with, I'll see if I can get some pics, they're stunners

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

The higher the intensity of your workouts.... the more calories you will need.

If you ate all greens... you might have enough energy for some cardio OR 30 minutes of light weight lifting 3-4 times a week. No way would you be able to do both cardio and weight lifting combined.

PromiseLand
    PromiseLand's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Been veggie for 1 year and vegan for 4 years. Made the leap to veggie after watching the Earthlings documentary and went vegan after doing more research about meat/dairy industry. Not here to preach or none of that...just sharing my experience and what drove my decision. Have same amount of energy as before; don't feel any better or any worse. The main difference is I've only been sick once in the last 5 years so that's been a nice benefit. Up until last year, still pretty active (gym, skimboarding, hiking, bball). Rarely do any of that anymore because I got a 9 month old to take care of, and I'm the primary caregiver for my disabled mom- she thinks I'm crazy for being vegan, haha...she's prolly right. I still cook her meals with bacon, beef, fish, turkey, and chicken so I'm not a meat-o-phobe. With that being said, meat no longer really appeals to me although I still find myself enjoying the aroma of bbq or bacon in the air. Side note: I'm 6'2 190 lbs.

Definitely a lot harder for me making the transition from being veggie to vegan than from going omnivore to veggie (giving up In N Out was most challenging) mainly because of eggs and cheese. I've always enjoyed my fair share of pizza, nachos, enchiladas, etc., but most the vegan cheese substitutes I've tried are pretty nasty. Also scrambled eggs taste a lot better than tofu scramble, but I've adjusted over the years. Lots of great tasting healthy meals out there once you start diving into it so I'm not just surviving on "air and tears" as one stand up comic put it haha. Anyway, this was a good resource that I used when I first started up: https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Life-Ev...rds=vegan+life

Good luck with whatever path you choose. To each his own.
    Points Awarded:

The Kraken gave PromiseLand 60 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    Food has become such an art form to strictly limit yourself is really pissing away the benefit of being alive in the times we live. Stick to your chosen diet M-F, but my god enjoy life and new food experiences in social settings on the weekends. Travel and compare local and regional cuisines, domestic and international. So be it if there's a beautiful steak in there.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by PromiseLand View Post
    Been veggie for 1 year and vegan for 4 years. Made the leap to veggie after watching the Earthlings documentary and went vegan after doing more research about meat/dairy industry. Not here to preach or none of that...just sharing my experience and what drove my decision. Have same amount of energy as before; don't feel any better or any worse. The main difference is I've only been sick once in the last 5 years so that's been a nice benefit. Up until last year, still pretty active (gym, skimboarding, hiking, bball). Rarely do any of that anymore because I got a 9 month old to take care of, and I'm the primary caregiver for my disabled mom- she thinks I'm crazy for being vegan, haha...she's prolly right. I still cook her meals with bacon, beef, fish, turkey, and chicken so I'm not a meat-o-phobe. With that being said, meat no longer really appeals to me although I still find myself enjoying the aroma of bbq or bacon in the air. Side note: I'm 6'2 190 lbs.

Definitely a lot harder for me making the transition from being veggie to vegan than from going omnivore to veggie (giving up In N Out was most challenging) mainly because of eggs and cheese. I've always enjoyed my fair share of pizza, nachos, enchiladas, etc., but most the vegan cheese substitutes I've tried are pretty nasty. Also scrambled eggs taste a lot better than tofu scramble, but I've adjusted over the years. Lots of great tasting healthy meals out there once you start diving into it so I'm not just surviving on "air and tears" as one stand up comic put it haha. Anyway, this was a good resource that I used when I first started up: https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Life-Ev...rds=vegan+life

Good luck with whatever path you choose. To each his own.
    Thx for the great post

I'll check out the link.

I don't think Im gonna go 100% anything, but I want the bulk of my diet to be plant based. Where I end up in 1 year or 4 years, who knows.

As an aside, mainly to Money, I work with a nurse that is a fit ess competitor, does crossfit, cardio, weiggts, etc... and shes 100% vegan, and she looks amazing. Shes got muscle mass, tons of energy, she says its not hard to get the calories once you've been doing it awhile.

And she too got started mainly to feel better, for more energy, so was veggie but progressed to vegan d/t being disgusted with how animals are raised

The Kraken

For anyone interested, Bikram yoga is the real deal. Its a 90 min yoga class in a class room thats generally 105 degrees but if its full, it can be 110-115. I feel great after every class.

habitualwinning
    habitualwinning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6311

@Kraken, I have a ton of knowledge and experience on this topic from actually living it and researching it for several years now. I don't feel like writing a novel on here so I'm just going to shorthand it with the most important points.

- Heart disease is the leading cause of death in America, as I'm sure you know being in the medical field. Heart disease is essentially completely preventable and also reversible through the avoidance of eating meat. Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn(Cleveland Clinic) and Bill Clinton's doctor btw has written books on the topic if you need all the little details.

- What do the 3 top Blue Zones(longest lived peoples) all have in common? Little or no meat in their diets. The Okinawans are essentially Pescetarians, very similar to the Mediterranean Diet where very little meat is consumed. The Loma Lindians in SoCal are full on Vegetarians and Vegans abstaining from meat all together. Anyway all of those peoples are plant based.

- There's the compassion aspect that most people overlook. Check out the pictures and videos of factory farms. The animals live in tiny cages, some so small they can't even stand up. I watched a documentary where it showed these pigs in cages so small all they could do was lay on their side, couldn't even stand up. You can say whatever you want but that's torture and anybody that supports that shit will get the bad karma coming to them. Would you force your cat or dog to live in a bucket? It's the same shit. The factory farm big agra industry is also incredibly sexist. They kill a lot of male animals upon birth, especially birds, chickens etc. cause they have no monetary value to them since they can't reproduce.

- Check out people like Tim Shieff, Rich Roll or Durianrider on YouTube these dudes would run circles around everybody on this forum added together and they're all plant based Vegans.

- I've been plant based for a decade now, most of that as a Vegan though I started out Pescetarian back in the day. It's good stuff. I feel great and compared to my peers of similar age, status, locale, I'm killing them on health and fitness. Most of them are SAD and fat, obese, a few already have cancer or had a stroke on and on man.

Best wishes to ya, whatever you decide to do. I highly suggest experimenting with it and seeing what kind of results you get. Worst comes to worst you can always just go back to SAD right? I would surmise however, that you would get similar profound results as so many others have that changed their diets.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    Looks like she has a terminal illness. I have yet to see a strict vegan that looks even close to healthy.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

^ Yea the Blue Zones is some interesting stuff

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

i saw a bunch of mutha fukkas -- BLACK AND WHITE -- eating this way recently......