Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

Quote Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
    Every year, I want to buy a case of football cards. Buy a price guide and try to decide what to get. NT came on after I got out of it, but contenders always looked good.

Few years ago when I had unlimited money, I messaged a few companies and they said you had to have a brick and morter shop and spend 30k a year to buy from the company.

I can't believe that scenario even exists anymore. I just wanted to buy a case.
    go to blowoutcards online shop they are one of the big sellers, instead of ordering online send them an email and ask them what is the best price they can do on a case of what you want, they will usually give you a slightly better price then they sell online and their price is very competitive and one of the best.
    Points Awarded:

reigle9 gave Monitor-Tan 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Have hundreds of thousands of worthless cards... probably a few hundred good ones. I buy what I like now, not what I think is collectable. Cherry pick 4 or 5 off ebay each year if I like the way they look. Buy a few former Duck cards as sort of a collection I have... pretty much worthless to anyone but me. No 89 UD equiv of Beltre, too new of a player, too many card companies pumping out rookie cards during his first year. '89 UD was unique because it was when there was still only 3-4 card companies and they put out a far superior product that year. I spent a lot of money chasing that Griffey card... I remember being a kid and spending the only 10 bucks I had on 2 packs at a card show.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I may need to open a store myself after this.

I need to convince Jay to be my partner and see if we can get some betpoint backing from Try 3. As the former Texas republican I would be in charge of business and Blue Jay420 would be in charge of keeping the shelves stocked in an OCD manner and pandering to customers by making videos and such. We would need lots of gardening supplies also to keep profits high and maybe a backroom poker game to keep Jay from running off to Vegas.

I've already factored in health care costs and using Jays thread the bare minimum's he needs to survive until we are making millions. We also need some muscle just incase we get harassed by some angry 14yr old biker kids and or good looking corporate spys that try to get inbed with us to steal our ideas. The total startup cost for a b&m operation of this size is going to set us back around 250k betpoints not to mention greasing a few locals and getting a few wardrobe upgrades to look the part.

I'd be willing to give try 33% of the business as a silent partner but would want to renegotiate after the 250k plus interest has been repaid. If we eat ramen noodles and keep grinding away for kids lunch money on baseball cards then we will have it repaid theoretically within 3 years, otherwise we flee the country and sell animal pelts in Tibet until we can return.

This business plan sounds very solid and I expect my inbox to be filled with offers.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47610

I lost interest in cards a few years after the companies went beyond Topps, Fleer and Donruss...not to mention once grading became necessary.

I was still collecting when Upper Deck came around, those cards were sweet and had a few Griffey Jrs.

Ra77er

Okay being serious now but good information M-T. I was asking primarily if that is his "coveted" card within the marketplace these days. There are tons of inserts like autographs and game used etc and I have not followed the market in a long time. While yes it was Griffeys rookie, I assume it is still his rarest or coveted card if you are a griffey collector. I wanted to get my wife a unique Beltre and I just assumed this Bowman one was it because I don't know how the market rolls these days so I just figured his RC was still the boss.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

"I may need to open a store myself after this."

It was my dream as a kid, but zero to negative money in it now. Nobody really cares about sports anymore, outside of betting on it.

Sports probably won't even exist in 50 years. They were created to get pussy, not you can just get on tinder and get laid in 5 minutes.

Ra77er

True Reigle. I tried getting a little info from a local card guy but the owner was gone to shows so the kid there didn't have the info I wanted or didn't share it. I'd imagine online has destroyed the B&M market and it would be very difficult to succeed.

reigle9

Online as well.

It's still overproduced in the auto market. That's why I like the the graded rookies. There's a finite amount of those. Every asshole company makes those 25/25, 10/10, 5/5. 1/1 parraells autographs. Who cares.

Ra77er

Well I wish the companies themselves would revisit how they are selling these things. Like you said there are 3 or 4 variations even on the common cards these days. There is regular, rainbow, gold, pink, black variants on every single card in the common sets. They are basically destroying it imo.

Hell they are even reprinting old cards like Reggie Jackson and throwing them in the current sets. It's ridiculous.

reigle9

Ha, Reggie Jackson. That's what got me in baseball cards to begin with. Probably about 8 years old was going through my dad's baseball card collection. 1970 topps reggie jackson was the best.

It was pretty much god to the neighborhood kids.

My mom had a lady friend that was penetrating this guy that had pages of 60's cards and i'm 8-10yo at the time so i told him what he had, instead of saying, these are shit, i'll give ya 20 bucks for them.

He had pages of mantles and everything in a fukking binder. He went to prison for banging underage girls like a year later lol. Wish I couldve gotten those mantles.

Ra77er

I'm torn between a book full of '52 Mantles and what happened to the underage girls?

Reg9 you had a wild neighborhood man. I hope Reggie still plays well in the market like that 1970 Topps version. I'd imagine those older models are still popular and retain some kind of value.

reigle9

He went to prison for 10 years or so, idk what happened to the cards. Look up the pos. Idk his exact name, but it's timothy alexander -ish. Early 90s. Could be dead by now, idk.

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

Actually, thinking back, I spent more on cards this year than I have in a while because of what Topps is doing with Topps Now. They put out cards all season long based on things that are going on in the MLB season. I remember Bartolo Colon hitting that HR and buying 3 of those cards for like, 10 bucks a piece or whatever they were... being a big Mets fan I bought every Met Topps Now card produced during the season and made my own little set of them. Seeing that I watch every game, I find it's a neat little trip down memory lane of the good things that happened throughout the year. You can buy those things off ebay for 3-4 bucks a pop rather than paying Topps 9.99. People buy in mass quantities (lowers the price) and resell them on ebay to make a buck or two off them. Can't imagine that being worth it but whatever. Lowers my cost.

Ra77er

Reg9er I was just teasing about that. Pretty bad situation there.

Llama I picked up a few packs this year and it was nice seeing some of the inserts on the Royals world series moments and they included some old cards from the past. That '70 Reggie Jackson I was talking about with Reg9 was included and I got a Canseco gold cup which is nostalgic for me and wife got a Rick Porcello jersey card (dude wins the CY?!). It was a nice touch. I don't really have a plan for continuing next year because as stated before there are so many variations that it is hard to keep up with. Good advice though in the thread on the companies to keep an eye on in each sport.

My stepdad and I always kept one master binder with all the best cards and boxed the commons, great memories. I'm not entirely sure if they are a good investment but it's the one hobby that I did enjoy as a kid. It feels like cheating to just cherry pick the ones I want but if Tinder is popular then ebay for cards makes a lot of sense. This generation is probably much more efficient and cost effective but they missed out on what it feels like to find a gem themselves.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

i have more baseball cards, but more money in basketball..specifically shaq

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post
    Actually, thinking back, I spent more on cards this year than I have in a while because of what Topps is doing with Topps Now. They put out cards all season long based on things that are going on in the MLB season. I remember Bartolo Colon hitting that HR and buying 3 of those cards for like, 10 bucks a piece or whatever they were... being a big Mets fan I bought every Met Topps Now card produced during the season and made my own little set of them. Seeing that I watch every game, I find it's a neat little trip down memory lane of the good things that happened throughout the year. You can buy those things off ebay for 3-4 bucks a pop rather than paying Topps 9.99. People buy in mass quantities (lowers the price) and resell them on ebay to make a buck or two off them. Can't imagine that being worth it but whatever. Lowers my cost.
    Topps Now was a hit.

First 12