firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Help on which to get sound bar or 5.1 surround sound ( 25 points best help)

So I'm about to get a new place and I just grabbed a new 48" LG tv not really loving the sound quality on it though.. I'm wondering what route I should go, trying to do this on a budget got money invested out right now and wanna go on vacation in the winter time so I only wanna use a bit of money for this, I love the tv quality just the sound sucks so.. Here's the scenario tell me where to go and why 25 points best response ..

i can either buy this brand new sound bar on sale for $89.99 comes out to like $107 after taxes and everything
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...a35d7d7d71en02

Or I found a used (3 year minimum use ) 5.1 Samsung surround sound system , only down fall of this is its used and there's wires for all 4 speakers plus the subwoofer which is kind of a pain in the ass but the persons selling it for $100 since they upgraded to a newer 7.1 surround sound supposedly... Comes in the box and everything the persons an older mom seems legit..

Pros and cons I'm seeing : sound bar is new but obviously sound bars are worse but being brand new I know it'll last for a while and there's minimum to 0 cords... The room won't be huge probably like 15x10 or 15x15 I'd say.. The surround sound is typically better everybody says , it's hardly used but 3 years is a long time, ton of cords but 5 speakers around the room sounds better typically

torn with this decision so help a brotha out lets do this, I'll also mainly be using for NFL games and movies... I have a headset for whenever I get time to play video games 25 points locked and loaded

sam9ball
    Update Status
    sam9ball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2353

Don't waste your mone! Buy an amplifier and speakers well worth the expense. Had a sound bar but wasn't happy so spent approx $350 for an Onkyo receiver. that came with a sub and 4 speakers.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave sam9ball 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

triplecrown333
    triplecrown333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

sound bars suck, cant compare to full surround

sam9ball
    Update Status

I get wall shaking sound now. Total theater experience!

firekillex

Quote Originally Posted by sam9ball View Post
    Don't waste your mone! Buy an amplifier and speakers well worth the expense. Had a sound bar but wasn't happy so spent approx $350 for an Onkyo receiver. that came with a sub and 4 speakers.
    I feel you sam not particularly trying to use that much $ only problem.. Just had to buy a new bed, tv , couch and paid first and last on the new place that's the main reason why I'm looking at these 2 options only right now ... Could upgrade in the future but this is what I'm stuck with right now

the surround sound is more appealing to me but the cords are a pain in the asss I'll most likely have to get somebody to do something with them , im reading a ton of mixed reviews on sound bars some people saying they're great with a sub woofer Ina smaller room but some saying they're absolute dog shit

Not even looking for anything crazy wall shaking just a semi decent sound experience for sports and movies right

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13200

I'd suggest Sonos but that sounds like it's out of your price range. I would check the CNET Cheapskate blog for better priced options. There was actually a cool set of blue tooth bookshelf speakers that was on there recently and he usually has soundbar deals about once every other week.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave gauchojake 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

firekillex

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I'd suggest Sonos but that sounds like it's out of your price range. I would check the CNET Cheapskate blog for better priced options. There was actually a cool set of blue tooth bookshelf speakers that was on there recently and he usually has soundbar deals about once every other week.
    im in Canada only problem with those options most likely shipping will be a biotch

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I've owned Bose since 1996. Purchased a 5.1 system for almost every person in my family. Easy to install.... and the sound quality is amazing. Never had a blown speaker... and my 1996 original still works to this day.

I'm a cheap ass too. Spend the money... get the quality. I think they call it the Acoustimass Series. Also.... try to get a receiver in which you can add things on.... like 7.1 for Blu Ray etc. Sound is out of this world.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave TheMoneyShot 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

sam9ball
    Update Status

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/yamaha-6...?skuId=6866026

Moderate price if you can afford it.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave sam9ball 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Go with the older mom option. Plus while you're there you might get to bang her too
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Smoke 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

triplecrown333

guess if money is the issue for now, you can start with a soundbar, but if you had full surround before, youre gonna be like what dafuq is this ...
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave triplecrown333 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

firekillex

From what I'm seeing it's go for the 5.1 surround sound slightly used off the mom and try to bang her possibly get the price down... Nobody here giving love to the sound bar .... All the $250+ options look good I'll most likely get later but at this time it's not an option so....

firekillex

It's like an hour drive away but I'm in the area this weekend so.. This is ad to see box

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/s...und/1201366036

have no clue about this shittt never used surround sound before or a sound bar tbh

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave RudyRuetigger 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mohye1980
    mohye1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4790

Buy a good receiver and Bose speakers. They will cost as much as your tv but it will out last at least 5-7 TV sets. Good investment trust
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave mohye1980 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

firekillex

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post

How you like that sound bar if you have it yourself ?? I'm using Amazon Canada but could probably find a similar one

firekillex

Thanks all for the input but still my 2 options are this 5.1 surround sound used $100 or a $100 sound bar from Best Buy or Amazon .... Nobody really giving any opinions on which of the 2 to get the other options everybody shown were cool and look great but at this time is not an option for me in the future yes but now it's these 2
    Points Awarded:

RudyRuetigger gave firekillex 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

triplecrown333

No audiophile with ever get a soundbar

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by mohye1980 View Post
    Buy a good receiver and Bose speakers. They will cost as much as your tv but it will out last at least 5-7 TV sets. Good investment trust
    Don't buy Bose, seriously overpriced speakers. You can buy cheaper speakers that sound better or speakers that are similarly priced that blow them out of the water.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Buy the LG sound bar for a new LG TV. This is what I have. Works great!

mohye1980
    mohye1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4790

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Don't buy Bose, seriously overpriced speakers. You can buy cheaper speakers that sound better or speakers that are similarly priced that blow them out of the water.
    I'll put my bose set up against any speakers and they will blow them out of the water. I've also had my set for about 15 years and they sound as good as day one. You get what you pay for. I used to sell audio video as my first job years ago and if i had to do it over again I would buy Bose.

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1264

Do not get a sound bar. You know those guys that used to drive around trying to sell high end speakers out of their trunk for a fraction of the price. Thats because they were fake garbage. Buying a sound bar is like buying those garbage speakers. Your better off buying headphones and plugging them into your ass yoi will get better sound then from a sound bar

Tv speakers are not all that bad these days 10 x 15 room u dont really need surround. If you want a new toy though aviod sound bars and go with reicver speakers amp

biggie12

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Buy the LG sound bar for a new LG TV. This is what I have. Works great!
    Your a square bud how can u say the lg sound bar is good ? What are you comparing it to?

biggie12

I have a soundbar collecting dust with sub if u can come to klienburg u can have it for $25.00

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Just curious... what company blows Bose out of the water in regards to price/quality?

steady hustlin
    steady hustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Harman Kardon make amazing sound equipment. If you can find a deal on any of their stuff, I would highly recommend it.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

why the fukk do you guys need good quality sound?

I mute tv
    Points Awarded:

biggie12 gave RudyRuetigger 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

hankcream
    hankcream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5458

Depends on the size of the room, if the room is less than 20' x 20' a good soundbar is more than sufficient. If you get the surround sound & watch alot of broadcast television the commercials will drive you nuts- they jack up volume level,
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave hankcream 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

firekillex

Quote Originally Posted by hankcream View Post
    Depends on the size of the room, if the room is less than 20' x 20' a good soundbar is more than sufficient. If you get the surround sound & watch alot of broadcast television the commercials will drive you nuts- they jack up volume level,
    Room will be under 20x20 you have experience with a sound bar in a room like that dimension and enjoyed it brotha ?? Don't need anything extra agent just some decent sound ... The person for the 5.1 surround sound wants me to come Friday so I wanna tell em tomorrow I'm not coming if everybody thinks it's not worth grabbing then I can just order a sound bar whenever online next few weeks when I find a solid one on sale if the one I showed is shit with the sub

firekillex

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    why the fukk do you guys need good quality sound?

I mute tv
    Well sir

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Just curious... what company blows Bose out of the water in regards to price/quality?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by biggie12 View Post
    Your a square bud how can u say the lg sound bar is good ? What are you comparing it to?
    I know it's good. I have one. If it wasn't good why would I buy it? You don't make any sense.

Fire in da hole
    Fire in da hole's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1120

Have you thought about going with something refurbished? You can probably find something alittle better quality for not much more money.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-viz...96YBoCQEPw_wcB

Also, check out slickdeals.net... they look across the internet and always show great deals.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Fire in da hole 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

We have the Vizio sound bar with sub woofer and surround sound in the bedroom. Sounds pretty damn good to me. Fits perfect on 65" Samsung tv.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Grits n' Gravy 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

McCarthyFam
    McCarthyFam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

i would personally go with the sound bar. Try and find one with a wireless subwoofer. That is my current setup. Will have to check on brand when i get home. I believe its lg. But i love it. It has different sound options. The cinema sounds great and bass is awesome. Will message you with more details in the morning. It was budget friendly too
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave McCarthyFam 15 Betpoint(s) for this post.

12 Last