ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Tips on learning a new language

Trying to learn a new language at present and thought I'd hit up the forum to see if other guys have and if so what tips or bits of advice they could offer to help a fellow SBRarian out...

TIA...

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Not sure the best way but I know one way that doesn't work well, I've heard it many times from many different people.... Rosetta Stone. Don't waste your money on this course.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Thanks chipper...

Just checked online and yeah alot of bad publicity, especially for a listed company on the nose...

Will stay away

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Duolingo gets a ton of great reviews and it's free. I don't personally like the way they do it, but my brain works all sorts of F'd up, and I realize what doesn't work for me would probably work just fine for most people. I know of people who can speak 6+ languages because of Duolingo.

Rosetta Stone was popular when there were no other commercial options. It's a dinosaur now.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14380

Live in the country of the spoken language u desire to learn for 40 years. U should pick up a little.?

u21c3f6
    u21c3f6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5198

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    Live in the country of the spoken language u desire to learn for 40 years. U should pick up a little.?
    40 years is not a given but should certainly do the trick if one WANTS to learn the language. However, a couple of weeks in the country immersed in the language is actually worth a couple/few years of classes.

Joe.

Bostongambler

I hear ya Joe. In any language that is.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

What language are you trying to learn?

My advice is watch a movie from that country with subtitles and take the time to learn every sentence. Apparently in Sweden or one of the scandinavian countries, they don't dub the movies so you have to read the subtitles and a lot of people over there learned english this way.
    Points Awarded:

ACoochy gave Lookingtostart 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bostongambler

Piglatin

BettingWagon
    BettingWagon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Hit books everyday, everyday. Even if on saturday or sunday you don't have time, study for just 30 minutes. Rest of the week should be at least 2 hours.
    I am learning Chinese, it is really really hard, and very easy to forget vocabulary (Hope you are learning an easier language).
    Second step, is watching TV, news etc. (movies are usually harder to understand than news or TV shows).
    Good luck

Bostongambler

Plus fortune cookies are a way to learn Chinese. La ho ma. Ho ho

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

do live waves did when he was too broke to hire an english speaking spic whore, and opted for a lowlife spanish-speaking only whore.... download an app!!!!

he downloaded one for spanish to english in a hopeful effort to understand what she kept screaming at him.....

unfortunately for the gynochemastic fukstick, the app didn't inlcude the following spanish phrases, so the fukin' idiot was left in the dark anyway, as she was repeatedly heard yelling all of the following at him:

"Minusculo verga!",

"Pinche idiota!!!",

"Hueles a mierda!!",

"Vete a la verga culero!",

"Chingate!!!"

"Besa mi culo, puto!"

"Tu madre es una puta!!!",

AND of course, that oldy but goody: "Yo cago en la leche de tu puta madre" (so you don't have to go look up this last one, I'll give you the translation: "I shit in your whore mother's milk"......

throw this last one around in Tijuana, all the locals will stop talkin' spanish around you, as they'll think you are fluent in the language and can understand all the underhanded insults they say generally say right in your presence because they think you can't understand them......

learn those phrases above, and "suck my dick" in spanish, and you're ready for a good border town trip!
    Last edited by Auto Donk; 08-21-16 at 12:08 PM.