StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

someone backed into my car, how do you usually handle it

Anyone ever get hit while not moving (for example you are waiting at a light), but for some reason an idiot just decides to reverse (and not slowly)?

I got lucky this time because no headlight problem, just a scuff and some scratches horizontally on the front grill plastic bumper, but annoying since I know and will look every time I pass it by now

Do you guys just let it go when realizing that it's minimal damage and nothing really happened? Or do you try to settle (cash) or pursue a minor collision like this with insurance?

Thanks

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Settle with cash.

Always exaggerate damage

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

File a claim with his insurance company. They need to know what a bad driver he is.

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

same thing happened to me, guy said "you could probably buff it out"

$1000 body work

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10740

Do not let it go. I was on the highway not moving. A guy rear ended me not hard but hard enough my neck was slightly sore. I went to the doctor just in case it got worse and was documented. There was only a dent in my bumper.

Turns out i had a nerve damaged in my neck which ended up me having a year in therapy 3 days a week. Then my left shoulder started bugging me. That got so bad i needed an operation on it. Thank God i got a lawyer in the beginning because his insurance was screwing around. Three years later this past June i finally won and settled. So what started out small ended up being pretty big. Best thing if it is someone elses fault is to report it and get it documented.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

If there is actual damage that needs to be fixed I would have called the police and let them handle it with report and insurance involved.

5918mike
    5918mike's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3032

Document what happened, police report, pictures, statement, whatever you feel comfortable with. I'd start with getting an estimate and presenting it to them for a cash settlement, if they refuse, go to insurance.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    If there is actual damage that needs to be fixed I would have called the police and let them handle it with report and insurance involved.
    This right here. ^^^

All that guy has to do is say that you hit him. I see people get screwed all of the time because the person at fault says "Don't worry, I'll take care of it" and then they pull a bunch of bullshit saying you were the one at fault.

I had some woman try to fukk me over back in 2003. She ran a red light and I T-boned her and then the next day she was claiming that I ran the red light and she had injuries. Unfortunately for her, I had a police report that contained 1/2 a dozen witnesses backing up my story and it said she was 100% at fault.
    Last edited by Kermit; 06-29-16 at 07:03 AM.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Anyone ever get hit while not moving (for example you are waiting at a light), but for some reason an idiot just decides to reverse (and not slowly)?

I got lucky this time because no headlight problem, just a scuff and some scratches horizontally on the front grill plastic bumper, but annoying since I know and will look every time I pass it by now

Do you guys just let it go when realizing that it's minimal damage and nothing really happened? Or do you try to settle (cash) or pursue a minor collision like this with insurance?

Thanks
    If it's minor damage a couple of scuff marks... no major "deep" scratches... and no dents... you can try 3M Rubbing Compound yourself. The formula is the best on the market. Practically buff it out with just arm motion. Stuff is amazing. If you have a friend or buddy who has one of those buffing machines.... that's even better.

Unfortunately... I'm not a big fan on claims with the insurance company. Any kind of claim is subject to higher premiums. In fact... you should expect an increase on a claim. I would only go the claim route if it's extensive damage.

If the person who backed into you is nervous... and you can tell he doesn't know about situations like this... you can try and press him to pay for the damage. But, once he starts talking to other people... and getting info from them... he'll shut up... and won't answer or contact you.

You could also try small claims court... make sure you have a police report... and make sure it says he caused the accident 51% or greater. Make sure you have 2-3 estimates of the damage from shops in the area. But, even if the judge grants you the judgement... the court doesn't force him to pay... if he doesn't pay... you have to press to collect. I know... it's a pain in the a$$.

Accidents suck.

OldschoolGambler
    OldschoolGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!

Better Call Donk!

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

As money shooter Said, any type of claim will send your premiums up so if it's just some scratches probably not worth it.

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    As money shooter Said, any type of claim will send your premiums up so if it's just some scratches probably not worth it.
    Your premiums aren't affected if the other guy is at fault. Your premiums only go up if it's your fault and you go through insurance instead of paying out of pocket.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

How is that true if its her fault. Do they go up still, makes no sense for them to, but if they do its another jew trick as usual.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post

Your premiums aren't affected if the other guy is at fault. Your premiums only go up if it's your fault and you go through insurance instead of paying out of pocket.
    Explain what you said again? Your premiums only go up if you're at fault? Every state has different views and laws about this. In Michigan we have "No Fault" basically... unless it's a MAJOR ACCIDENT... your only choice is to go through your own insurance and make the claim yourself. Even if the other person caused $10,000+ damage to your car.... even TOTALED IT... your premiums will go up after you make the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    How is that true if its her fault. Do they go up still, makes no sense for them to, but if they do its another jew trick as usual.
    Yep, it's the truth... and all insurance companies do it. The insurance companies still find you "as a liability" because you were "involved" in the accident. Even if it's not your fault. Wrong place... wrong time.

TheMoneyShot

The only thing your insurance company will help you do.... if you have "broadside collision" is collect your deductible from the other insurance company.

I strongly recommend getting "broadside collision fault" on your insurance for all of your vehicles. Your premium doesn't go up much.... like $6-$9 for 6 months... basically $1 month extra. If you can prove by a police report that the other person caused the damage by 51% or greater.... you don't pay your deductible. I always go with broadside collision and $500 deductible. So if I get into an accident... and it's not my fault... I can still get my car fixed without paying my deductible. But, my insurance premium will most likely go up during my next 6 month term.

5918mike

If the other person is at fault their insurance will pay in the end and your premium should not be affected. Your insurance only cares if they have to pay out and can't collect from the other insurance company.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

the thing with minor damages and getting your insurance involved, your premium will go up no matter who's fault.

get an estimate and tell the idiot to pay for it. that's the best way.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Plus, your defuctible might be higher than the actual damages, or so close it's not worth involving insurance.

That said, I would have slit his throat

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Thanks, Kraken

For how bad of luck and stupidity it was on her (of course) part, I was equally as lucky it didn't crush my headlight or cause too extensive color change from the black plastic front bumper. There are scratches, but from any distance you can't tell after I Meguiar ultimate compounded it.

Last question. Since the other person was clearly at fault, should you just tell them to give you their info and insurance, then say "If it turns out that this doesnt' come out, I'll contact you" --- and then NOT give them your contact? Why should I even risk giving anyone else my info or insurance when it wasn't on me to do anything? They could claim all sorts of sht later

It seems that again, if it's real damage that you know you'll have to fix, get the police report, huh

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Always file an insurance claim and a police report. Better safe than sorry especially when the accident is not your fault.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20469

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

first off..... PUT THAT F'N NECK BRACE I SENT YOU BACK ON!!!!!

SECOND, how in the fuk are you able to type this? you are in so much f'n pain..... you must be a hero to be able to fight through all the pain to communicate with us.....

third, lay down, get some rest, and go see that chiropractor i referred you to.....

I'll get the lawsuit filed next week....

AD, Esq.

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

I live in canada and the guy who bumped into smbd else was me 2 years ago. I sincerely wanted to pay the damage to the insurance company( like 1000 max so my premius wouldnt go up, but the prick claimed medical i told the insurance to pass him the message that if next time i see him on the road, i ll make sure he suffers some medical damage he got paid for

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    Always file an insurance claim and a police report. Better safe than sorry especially when the accident is not your fault.
    This is 100& accurate. If there is any chance of injury or property damage, always call the police and they determine who is at fault. Once you leave the scene on your own, it automatically turns into he said she said. The person has no legal duty to pay you later. You can try and take them to court, but the first thing a Judge will ask for is a police report. If you don't have that, it will be up to you to convince the Judge who can't believe it was very serious if you didn't call the cops. Like someone else said, I have seen tons of people get screwed over because they wanted to be nice and handle it between the 2 parties. The other person's insurance will not pay you if you don't have the police backing up your claim.

5918mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    the thing with minor damages and getting your insurance involved, your premium will go up no matter who's fault.

get an estimate and tell the idiot to pay for it. that's the best way.
    I would get different insurance if they are raising your rates from no fault accidents.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    Thanks, Kraken

For how bad of luck and stupidity it was on her (of course) part, I was equally as lucky it didn't crush my headlight or cause too extensive color change from the black plastic front bumper. There are scratches, but from any distance you can't tell after I Meguiar ultimate compounded it.

Last question. Since the other person was clearly at fault, should you just tell them to give you their info and insurance, then say "If it turns out that this doesnt' come out, I'll contact you" --- and then NOT give them your contact? Why should I even risk giving anyone else my info or insurance when it wasn't on me to do anything? They could claim all sorts of sht later

It seems that again, if it's real damage that you know you'll have to fix, get the police report, huh
    Glad the compound worked well! Everyone should always try this first.... the only thing it can't fix... dents and deep scratches over the area.

Seconds after the accident... you naturally make sure everyone is ok. Next thing... you exchange copies of everything. License ID, Registration, Insurance Card. Take a photo of everything. If the person refuses... you automatically call the police. Also, with video phones these days... take a 30-45 second video of everything.... damage.... license plates... VIN. Everything. This tells everyone's insurance company who was directly involved.

You said you had the police come out? And make a report... correct? Go to the police station... and pick up a copy of the report. Read the entire report. Make sure that the officer put the other person 51% or greater at fault on that report. If he didn't.... there's no proof that the other person was more at fault than you.

If you are thinking about fixing the damage and filing the claim with your insurance company... some require a copy of the police report and some don't.

I just want to give you some advice... a friend of mine leased a brand new GM Cruze in 2015. 9 days after leasing the car.... someone was texting while driving on a 35mph side road. The person wasn't paying attention and slammed their car into the Cruze. There is a back rail that is connected to the frame that was absolute bent and destroyed at only 35mph impact. Car was classified as totaled. How much damage going 35mph? $17,778.00 estimated. My buddies insurance went up just because he was "involved" in the accident. The police report indicated the other person was 100% the reason for the accident.

When you make a claim... your insurance will go up.

Insurance should only be used when you can't really afford it out of your own pocket.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Thanks, Money

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by 5918mike View Post
    I would get different insurance if they are raising your rates from no fault accidents.
    That's why it's called "No Fault Insurance." It blows.

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-r...nce-cover.aspx

To avoid "He said she said" and lengthy court battles settling tort claims (mostly for personal injury), 12 states adopted No Fault insurance. So, in this instance, StackinGreen is chillling at a stop light when some dumb broad backs up and hits his car. She is obviously at fault...but, it doesn't matter. She contacts her insurance company and files the accident report and if the damage is more than her deductible, she goes through her company and gets her car fixed. Because of the accident, her premiums will go up.

StackinGreen looks at the minor damage to his car. In a No Fault Insurance state, his best bet is to get an estimate, if it is around his deductible, he is better off living with the damage or paying out of pocket to fix it. Otherwise, if he reports the accident and goes through his insurance company to get it fixed, his premiums will go up...even though he was in the right. The rule of thumb is if you report anything to your insurance company, expect your premiums to go up.

Insurance companies are legalized Ponzi Schemes.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I have to handle it myself. My front end has been smacked, I don't know how many times by fukking morons
    in parking lots who don't leave their insurance info behind. Probably old fuks.

Inside fender skirting is busted from a hit. My front bumper paint is starting to peel and my hood won't close
    flush. My stupid drunk brother backs into me one night with his trailer hitch in my back bumper. It took me a while
    but I got that plastic pushed out.

Fukkin' can't have nothin'.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Wife's car was so badly dinged from assholes getting out of their cars, you'd of thought the car was hit by sideways hail.

A paintless dent repair kit is worth it's weight in gold. Works great.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Wife's car was so badly dinged from assholes getting out of their cars, you'd of thought the car was hit by sideways hail.

A paintless dent repair kit is worth it's weight in gold. Works great.
    When I was growing up with my old man.... I always wondered why he'd park 20+ parking spaces away from stores etc. He always told me... son... people have no care about your property. Give yourself some extra time... and park far away... and walk... it will give you exercise. I always thought my dad was an idiot when I was younger.

Now, my old man isn't here anymore.... and I do exactly what he showed me. People just don't care about your stuff. Simply don't give a fuk. I don't even give a sh#$ if I'm on a date with a chick.... it becomes a habit now.

If the world actually cared about you... you wouldn't have to worry about a door swinging open... and denting your car. But people simply don't care. Trashy fuks.
    Points Awarded:

Team Ramrod gave TheMoneyShot 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Muller Rose
    Muller Rose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Cash. Let the other guy pay you big time!

Muller Rose
    Muller Rose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    Good advice!

TheMoneyShot

Speaking about auto insurance. Just got my new policy for the next 6 months. They just raised me $140.00

Unreal. No claims... nothing. I've heard that the area I live in... claims and theft are on the rise.

I'll have to call them.

I have to pay for other peoples claims... unfukkingreal.

12 Last