dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

How are your allergies this year

are they getting worse, notice any trends. Just curious. Immunotherapy really works, it is a pain in the ass and it often takes at least three years but you might want to consider it if your symptoms are becoming worse every year.

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

My symptoms have been a little worse this year. What is immunotherapy? I heard it helps to eat locally harvested honey and to drink kumbacha (sp?)

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by grease lightnin View Post
    My symptoms have been a little worse this year. What is immunotherapy? I heard it helps to eat locally harvested honey and to drink kumbacha (sp?)

allergist injects very small amounts of the pollen you are sensitive to, naturally you need to be tested first. after a couple, three years most people see big improvements. when on maintenance most people need get a shot only once a month. worked miracles for me. you should see an allergist and get tested.

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    allergist injects very small amounts of the pollen you are sensitive to, naturally you need to be tested first. after a couple, three years most people see big improvements. when on maintenance most people need get a shot only once a month. worked miracles for me. you should see an allergist and get tested.

Ah yes, my aunt does that

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Ah yes, my aunt does that

I read recently that some doctors are now introducing the pollen via a nose spray. that would be really great if true, well I know it is true just not sure it is being done in the USA. the great part about that is you can take the meds home with you and self administer when they are due. Don't even need to leave the house.

No harm in seeing an allergist and checking it out.

jayfly
    jayfly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10713

mine are virtually non existent, started occasionally eating local honey a few years ago

grease lightnin
    &

Quote Originally Posted by jayfly View Post
    mine are virtually non existent, started occasionally eating local honey a few years ago

I heard that but I haven't tried it. Sneezed and blew my nose for like an hour straight this morning.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

I heard that but I haven't tried it. Sneezed and blew my nose for like an hour straight this morning.

try a netipot, a tiny bit messy but it will give you a few hours relief.

on second thought try the nelirinse instead, less messy and easier.

jayfly
    jayfly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10713

Does not work for everyone but it has helped me so much

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

My allergies were rather mild this past spring. Some years they are so bad that I literally have to carry a box of tissues around with me wherever I go. This year, not too bad.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Very bad, I am living in one of the most polluted cities in the world, I have constant allergies, coming from California where for the most part has clean air to one of the worst in the world, my allergies haven't been kind to me.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Very bad, I am living in one of the most polluted cities in the world, I have constant allergies, coming from California where for the most part has clean air to one of the worst in the world, my allergies haven't been kind to me.

I subscribe to a few health letters, one called health after 50 recently reported that allergies are going to get worse because of the longer periods of warmer weather which the American College of Allergy Asthma and Immunology wrote about. They also gave 5 recommendations which I am sure most allergy suffers know, but let me print them anyway.

1. don't rely on OTC medications, use the meds prescribed by your doctor. such as oral drugs, nasal sprays, eye drops and shots.

2. don't wait to medicate, some meds for allergies especially nasal steroids need weeks to become effective.

3. consider shots

4. know the pollen count

5. wash away pollen take a shower if you have been outside, wash your hair, and change into fresh clean clothes.

I might add to use that neilrinse nasal product. no drugs involved, you can use it often, it is relatively easy, pretty cheap and it will give you immediate relief even if only for a few hours. at least you won't be struggling to breathe those hours.

Muller Rose
    Muller Rose's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Yes, allergies became worst this year. Glad you asked. If not, I wouldn't have noticed.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Muller Rose View Post
    Yes, allergies became worst this year. Glad you asked. If not, I wouldn't have noticed.

I am pretty sure that 13 of the last 15 years being the hottest years on record adds to allergy misery. Longer growing season means obviously more pollen. More good news, 2016 will again be the one of the hottest years on record and may in fact be the hottest year yet.