McCarthyFam
    McCarthyFam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

suggestions for grill or smoker

football season is upon us! I am in the market for a grill or smoker. Currently dont have either. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Definitely go with the smoker.

Smoked Turkey taste amazing!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Depends on what you like to cook Fam.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Anything grilled is very very overrated unless you like eating charcoal the smoker is the way to go for the professionals

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Anything grilled is very very overrated unless you like eating charcoal the smoker is the way to go for the professionals

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

For me it's all about the process, so my smoker and grill have room for logs and lots of charcoal. If you want a smoker that is less about process but still produces great food, you can't beat a Traeger. Can't grill on it though. If you want a grill that will also slow cook/smoke you should look at kamado grill. Don't pay for a green egg, you can find a ceramic egg for ~300 bucks. If you want a really good gas grill, Weber is the way to go.

stuler
    stuler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 308

Green Mountain Pellet grill/smoker best of both worlds.Traeger makes one as well. Can't go wrong. You don't have to babysit them all day making sure the fire is right. Set the temp and let it go until it's done.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Are you trying on purpose to sound like a dumbass?

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by stuler View Post
    Green Mountain Pellet grill/smoker best of both worlds.Traeger makes one as well. Can't go wrong. You don't have to babysit them all day making sure the fire is right. Set the temp and let it go until it's done.
    Now Stuler, I see a KC logo in your avatar so I am assuming you might be from there. Isn't using a pellet smoker just about as close to KC bbq blasphemy as you can get?

That said, the pellet smokers turn out such a solid product with little effort that it's a must have in the arsenal.

artyfudgepacker
    artyfudgepacker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

go to Walmart and buy the $49 dollar grill/smoker made buy brickman .

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Big Green Egg. Lifetime guarantee and does everything. Once you get used to it, every other grill is going to look inferior by comparison. You'll never go back, and you'll be the envy of all the other grillers.

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

Lay off the McDs burgers

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    For me it's all about the process, so my smoker and grill have room for logs and lots of charcoal. If you want a smoker that is less about process but still produces great food, you can't beat a Traeger. Can't grill on it though. If you want a grill that will also slow cook/smoke you should look at kamado grill. Don't pay for a green egg, you can find a ceramic egg for ~300 bucks. If you want a really good gas grill, Weber is the way to go.

Good post.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

get a temp controls for your smoker, will save you tons of time and headache.

If you want to cheat and still get a great product, just smoke the food 1-4 hours(depending on amount and type) then just finish it in the oven and you won't have to do much and still taste great. Some will call it sin.

Also, if you smoke, marinate everything in beer. Makes the food safer from all the carbon your adding.
    Last edited by brooks85; 08-21-15 at 08:19 AM.

McCarthyFam

Appreciate all the feedback fellas. I just recently bought a half of a pig and looking to buy a quarter or half of a cow. Depending on the freezer space I'll have so I will have lots to expirement with

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25117

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Big Green Egg. Lifetime guarantee and does everything. Once you get used to it, every other grill is going to look inferior by comparison. You'll never go back, and you'll be the envy of all the other grillers.

I have a Kamado Joe which is similar and your right. Once you get used to them you cant go another route.

SoCalFisher
    SoCalFisher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3141

I just bought a traegar,little tex elite, $524. Always used charcoal grills, in fact a neighbor gave me a fairly expensive gas grill 3yrs. ago and I, not once have fired it up. Been doing charcoal since I can remember, and I'm brand new to smokin. I've had it 3 weeks and done ribs(bangin!), chicken for the wife, and loads of veggies. It's taking some getting used to but I think it'll grill, bake and obviously smoke just about anything. Go to their website and look at the recipes.

I know other smokers exist, but I personally never researched them. My local butcher uses them and I've been talking to him about them for years. For comparison, charcoal is cheaper, smoker will do almost anything after learning the ins and outs, and gas grills are for lazy ass pussies!

McCarthyFam

Where did you find that price?

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

McCarthy - Haven't shopped for a grill in 7 years. Beat the hell out of this Sam's Club one. Looks like sh#$ on the outside now lol Thing falling a part. But... damn... I grill practically every week on it for 7 straight years. I look for square footage "cooking space" when buying a charcoal grill. I want a lot of space to work with! I look for something cheap with the most cooking space. Remember that. Comes in handy.

McCarthyFam

Gonna go with the traeger lone Star. Found a nice starter pack on qvc for a decent price. Should be here at the end of august. Gonna smoke a couple pork butts to start. Will let you know what I think when I get it done

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

men you guys are pros with cooking

fuk..good info though

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

All I can think of is thanksgiving now. That has to be one of the greatest holidays in the world imo. Football, turkey, 3:1 BJ promos, chilly weather, natives are okay with us for a day, it is the best period. You single guys I feel bad for. It's probably the only valid reason to be married .

Now that **fam says he is getting a hog then yes smoker all the way man. I love my grill was my birthday present least year but I ruined it moving (broke some stuff) and then it got crapped on by some dudes painting.....ugh so angry its basically junk now, used it only once or twice.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

i wouldn't rooster my leg to piss on a smoked turkey Ray

deep fry or die

stuler

Now Stuler, I see a KC logo in your avatar so I am assuming you might be from there. Isn't using a pellet smoker just about as close to KC bbq blasphemy as you can get?

That said, the pellet smokers turn out such a solid product with little effort that it's a must have in the arsenal.
    Ha Ha Gauchojake, yes you are correct, I do live in the KC area and yes, no one on the pro-circuit is probably using these pellet grills but I am not a pro smoker. I love throwing a butt on the smoker, getting in an 18 round of golf and drinking a few beverages. Then when I get home might take a 3-4 nap wake up squirt some apple juice on the thing and then wrap it up in foil until time to eat. This thing puts out meat that is as good as I have ever had anywhere without all the fuss of putting on more charcoal or wood and making sure the temp is perfect all time it is cooking. Just saying my 9 year-old could smoke on this and it would be just as good as anyone else doing it.

I'm old and lazy so it is a good fit for me...lol

I would not fault the green egg or similar but you are going to spend a ton on them. They are not cheap. But I've had great food off of them. Just too pricey for what I do.

I will add this, not a fan of grilling on the pellet smokers they can do it and food taste great but it just does not look right to me, hard to get a good char on stuff even at 500 degrees. I bought a small stoke charcoal grill for burgers and steaks. everything else goes on my green mountain!
    Last edited by stuler; 08-23-15 at 02:51 PM.

stuler

Green Mountain Grill

Name:  Daniel Boone (Green Mountain Pellet Grill).jpg
Views: 134
Size:  49.7 KB

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

I always tease my buddies with pellet smokers and call them cheaters. I'm secretly jealous.

SoCalFisher
    SoCalFisher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3141

$524 was a closeout price at home depot. Some are still selling pellets for $11/bag. Great deal!!

Someone mentioned, grilling issues. Yea you can, but the char is missing and if you're use to that it , this definitely is different. Yesterday I did some breakfast sausage on it, fantastic. Grilled burgers on the weber last night. Next time I'll try them on the traegar.

brooks85

Name:  Daniel Boone (Green Mountain Pellet Grill).jpg
Views: 134
Size:  49.7 KB

stuler

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    Yes yes it is....lol

stuler

I always tease my buddies with pellet smokers and call them cheaters. I'm secretly jealous.
    I had never even heard of them until my buddy bought a Traeger and smoked some brisket on it. I went out and bought mine the next weekend. Just to damn easy not to go that way for me...lol

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Weber grill or a Green Egg if you have the cash.

brooks85

The big green egg design is probably the most versatile grill out there. On top of everything you can do with as far as grilling and smoking, it always works as a tandoori oven though I probably wouldn't cook on the sides of it without cleaning. But, you can definitely use the skewers and blow people's mind with how good the food taste.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Ha Ha Gauchojake, yes you are correct, I do live in the KC area and yes, no one on the pro-circuit is probably using these pellet grills but I am not a pro smoker. I love throwing a butt on the smoker, getting in an 18 round of golf and drinking a few beverages. Then when I get home might take a 3-4 nap wake up squirt some apple juice on the thing and then wrap it up in foil until time to eat. This thing puts out meat that is as good as I have ever had anywhere without all the fuss of putting on more charcoal or wood and making sure the temp is perfect all time it is cooking. Just saying my 9 year-old could smoke on this and it would be just as good as anyone else doing it.

I'm old and lazy so it is a good fit for me...lol

I would not fault the green egg or similar but you are going to spend a ton on them. They are not cheap. But I've had great food off of them. Just too pricey for what I do.

I will add this, not a fan of grilling on the pellet smokers they can do it and food taste great but it just does not look right to me, hard to get a good char on stuff even at 500 degrees. I bought a small stoke charcoal grill for burgers and steaks. everything else goes on my green mountain!
    David Bouska and Rod Gray have both used Pellet smokers on BBQ pitmasters and have done pretty well for themselves.

12 Last