Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly
    Rudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Windows Updated Now No Sound In VLC & Windows Media Player

Can any Tech savy fellas on here help a skinner out?

Basically I'm running a laptop windows 7 service pack 1 64 bit home edition.

Windows does an update now when I play a audio file MKV, AVI any the video will play but no sound.

I have tried every forum searched everywhere, reinstalled, tried system restore but that fails, tried to redownload the codecs nothing works....

Sound works on youtube and anywhere else except when watching something with this media players or VLC even GOM player....

Regards

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

So you have sound with everything else?

jihadvillager
    jihadvillager's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6232

Try this ruder

It'll remove all your old stuff and reinstall all new codecs

http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

It'll install media player classic which is a very light player and supports all formats
    Last edited by jihadvillager; 08-14-15 at 10:25 AM.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Open up "preferences" from the tool bar and check settings, also check under "advanced settings", make sure audio settings are correct.

I started having issues with VLC about a week or so ago, it just would not load certain files. I checked settings, re-installed and still wouldn't load those files. I dl'ed a new media player a couple days ago, PotPlayer, and it works like a charm. No problems with those same files. Just seems odd, I've used VLC for years and never had any issues.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    So you have sound with everything else?
    Ye except when I play a movie or tv show I've downloaded I open it with windows media player, VLC, GOM sound don't work.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by jihadvillager View Post
    Try this ruder

It'll remove all your old stuff and reinstall all new codecs

http://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

It'll install media player classic which is a very light player and supports all formats
    Thanks mate, I'll give it a try.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Open up "preferences" from the tool bar and check settings, also check under "advanced settings", make sure audio settings are correct.

I started having issues with VLC about a week or so ago, it just would not load certain files. I checked settings, re-installed and still wouldn't load those files. I dl'ed a new media player a couple days ago, PotPlayer, and it works like a charm. No problems with those same files. Just seems odd, I've used VLC for years and never had any issues.
    I will try potplayer if it still don't work, all audio settings are correct.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Tried potplayer no sound still.

Tried and downloaded the mega codec pack still no sound.

For some reason the speaker icon doesn't recognise any sound for any downloaded video file.

All I know is I shut the laptop down but it didnt completely go off when I checked I saw a update but shutdown the laptop before it completed.

The next day I let windows complete the update and now no sound, I try to do system restore but it always fails, I try to undo system restore nothing.

Also for some reason my internet icon on system tray shows a red cross but I am connected to the internet.

Luckily I have other machines but only one laptop, I like watching stuff on it so I'm quite pissed off that theres no sound with media files.

I have tried numerous forums also, microsoft is a waste of time, new laptop it is.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

This is the error msg I keep getting everytime I attempt a system restore

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

so many kinks with windows 10

I just went into setting and sound area and made sure right speakers were checked and then it worked

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Windows 10 fails to update lol must of damaged some hardware, but everything works fine except sound weird.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

That file was in a Win7 update from Jul 29th

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977759

maybe check in windows update for that update, de-install it, then ask windows to check fo updates and it should come back as an option to re-install.

There might even be a repair option for it in control panel>>add/remove programs

alternatively just go through with the windows 10 update again...

PerfectGrape
    PerfectGrape's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

glad its working or i guess its not? wrote a post but deleted it
    Last edited by PerfectGrape; 08-14-15 at 10:57 PM.

PerfectGrape

PerfectGrape

maybe play with playback devices or search your laptop model number and drivers to bring you to download page for audio drivers

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try and let you know.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

I know, I hate when my computer gets updates. Sometimes like in your case, things don't work right after.

You can go into control panel and check hardware and sound or go to uninstall programs to find the culprit
    and uninstall it.

I had a similar problem and had to completely uninstall the media player and go to microsoft to download
    another. GL

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Finally fixed it, thank you fellas for your help.

Updating to Windows 10 made it work, video files now have sound when playing with media players.

A big thank you to Optimus as his directions worked...I uninstalled the updating files with windows 7 then attempted to update to windows 10, Thank you mate...you are a genius, a vital player here at SBR
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Optional

jjgold

good work Rudy

Windows 10 is pretty good

drfunkmaster
    printing it
    drfunkmaster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1065

i am happy with windows 8.1... fock windows 10.. windows 8.1 is not broken so why fix it.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by drfunkmaster View Post
    i am happy with windows 8.1... fock windows 10.. windows 8.1 is not broken so why fix it.
    I agree with you. Don't trust Microsoft at all. They aren't updating their program to better assist us... it's to better assist them with our habits. I still operate Windows XP on one computer. Piss on them.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

I was the same way. Was going to wait for at least 6 months before upgrading and see what was found out about the spying aspects first.

But MS have made this update really pushy. I kept trying to stop the download but every time windows did a new check it would try again.

Finally I gave in and just installed it.

I chose NO for all options about storing info on cloud or sending info to MS and turned on "ask me to restart after updating" and I think that is about all really needed for it to work pretty much the same as v7 did.

Go for it I say. The change from Win7 to Win10 was much much easier and seamless than any previous win upgrade. You'll be able to carry on doing whatever you were doing before in pretty much the same way and you will also get a newer more secure version of firefox if you use that. I was on verge of ditching firefox but am happy to be able to continue using it now.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I was the same way. Was going to wait for at least 6 months before upgrading and see what was found out about the spying aspects first.

But MS have made this update really pushy. I kept trying to stop the download but every time windows did a new check it would try again.

Finally I gave in and just installed it.

I chose NO for all options about storing info on cloud or sending info to MS and turned on "ask me to restart after updating" and I think that is about all really needed for it to work pretty much the same as v7 did.

Go for it I say. The change from Win7 to Win10 was much much easier and seamless than any previous win upgrade. You'll be able to carry on doing whatever you were doing before in pretty much the same way and you will also get a newer more secure version of firefox if you use that. I was on verge of ditching firefox but am happy to be able to continue using it now.
    The New Edge browser not bad

I like Chrome though and will never change

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Like the look for Windows 10, as Optipus said least it ends the annoying windows update.

I use FF so much more convenient for me.