Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone quit smoking before?

How did you do it?

I got into the ecig thing a few years back and spent probably 300 trying all kinds of different nonsense but it never really stuck. I did go about 2 weeks using it and eventually fell off the wagon. (Smoke was weak primary reason)

I haven't tried patches before but my wife who doesn't smoke keeps them in the house in the hopes that I will give it up someday and toss a patch on.....well I have decided this is the year.

I'd prefer not taking pills or the patch but I would be interested to hear if they worked for you.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

yep, mind over matter..I decided to stop and I stopped.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

go to Cigars or weed

safer

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

avoid typical situations in which you find you always have to smoke, ie, the bar with friends, after a workout, etc

Ra77er

Jake that's so much easier said than done but maybe that is what I need to do.

JJ weed is already a thing along with cigars that I cannot afford.

Brad I'm older so I do not hit the bars or clubs anymore which helps. Military was impossible to stay away from guys that smoked but now that I'm retired I have a chance to get this done. I will be in Vegas soon and I would imagine that will be hard to resist drinking and smoking it up but I really want to give this a legit shot beforehand.

I have three packs left and I do not want to buy another one. I'm considering setting myself on a timer or something like that so I can slowly wean off but that seems unlikely.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Watch throat/lung cancer videos on YouTube.

Chew sunflower seeds or cut straws in half so you have something to do with your hands.

I'm totally serious.

You're welcome.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave TheLock 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post

Brad I'm older so I do not hit the bars or clubs anymore which helps. Military was impossible to stay away from guys that smoked but now that I'm retired I have a chance to get this done. I will be in Vegas soon and I would imagine that will be hard to resist drinking and smoking it up but I really want to give this a legit shot beforehand.

I have three packs left and I do not want to buy another one. I'm considering setting myself on a timer or something like that so I can slowly wean off but that seems unlikely.
    noone said it is easy but set your mind to it and prevail..I have faith in you bud
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave JAKEPEAVY21 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Alex Hart
    Update your status
    Alex Hart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6432

I grew up in a household with two parents who were smokers. I always said I would never smoke but ended up a smoker after joining the military. I was a smoker for 6-7 years until stopping in June of 2009. I stopped smoking because of the possible health issues in the future and the rising cost of the cigarette brand I was smoking. Once I made the commitment to stop I smoked my last one before I went to bed and have never touch another cigarette since then.

The first couple of weeks were brutal. I always craved a cig after dinner and when I was on the net. The urge slowly faded away with time and now I can not stand to be around smokers as the smell is horrendous.

You have to really commit or it will not happen. Good luck!
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Alex Hart 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

pinnerpsk
    pinnerpsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

Here's what you do...

Find a buddy who also says they want to quit. Bet eachother 5k+. First one to have a smoke from that point forward loses. No exceptions.

Bruce Norris
    I'm almost too old to fight.... almost.
    Bruce Norris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3837

I didn't smoke, but I dipped for 17 years. Birth of my son did it for me, I didn't want him to see me do it. I quit cold turkey, and it was one of the hardest things to do. Nightmares, mood swings, and I still crave it from time to time. It's been 8 years.
    What I did that helped was join a support group online, where I was held accountable to post every day that I was clean. Even had a moderator send me PMs for support. It was helpful. Not many chewing tobacco forums for support out there, but I found one. I'm assuming there are countless ones online for smokers, especially now vs 8 years ago.
    Make it personal. Nicotine is a bitch, and it owns you. Be mad, don't let it. It causes death. Get it done. No easy way to say it.

OH, and I did try patches, gave me crazy nightmares. Cold turkey was the way for me, but make no mistake, it sucked.

Good luck.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Try smoking pot instead.

Use will power during day and then each evening slap on a patch at same time as having a joint. And get rid of the patch again before bed.

After a week or two you should be able to ditch the patch and just have the joint and your body still should produce the same reaction nicotine has been giving it.

Easier to give up pot if you want to then.

Same process might work with chocolate or some other substance like that too.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Optional 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

IlluminatedOne
    What you think you become
    IlluminatedOne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1738

Subliminal programming works, self hypnosis also can be very successful.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

My Dad smoked for about 30 years of his life off and on. Finally decided to quit cold turkey at age 62. Still living at 84.

It will add years to your life.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave TheMoneyShot 25 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post

I know different things work for different people but this is what I did. I basically set a schedule where I could take a few days off to a week, and I just stayed home. I avoided driving in the car as i would always smoke on my drives, I avoided going to gym or bars, avoided hanging out with buddies. I just stayed home and away from all the stress for a good 5 days. just stayed home and watched movies and relaxed. then, when I actually started going out, the urge was still there, but not as strong. I dont know if you have it in your schedule to take a few days off to do nothing, just telling ya what worked for me. GL.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave bradthebloke 25 Betpoint(s) for this post.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Just don't buy another pack and stop. If you need gum, patches, pills, etc you really don't want to quit. Cold turkey is the only way to go. Don't be a pussy. I did it, so I know its not that hard. After about a week, it doesn't even bother you anymore except when you're drinking
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave capone1899 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

I quit 5 years ago cold turkey after smoking a bit over 2 packs a day. There will be situations that will trigger the smoking --- morning coffee, driving, whatever ... and that is the hardest part. But if you can hold off few weeks and change those habits, you'll be in good shape.

My wife used patches at the same time and the fact she quit and stayed that way is a miracle. If she can quit, trust me brotha, you can too.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave GUMMO77 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

get this book. you can thank me later raller...

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a dozen times!

Bruce Norris
    I'm almost too old to fight.... almost.
    Bruce Norris's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3837

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post
    Just don't buy another pack and stop. If you need gum, patches, pills, etc you really don't want to quit. Cold turkey is the only way to go. Don't be a pussy. I did it, so I know its not that hard. After about a week, it doesn't even bother you anymore except when you're drinking
    Don't be a pussy is right! That's the attitude I took, I had to be pissed off about it. But not that hard? It may have been easy for you, but if it were easy, there wouldn't be books, hypnotherapists, patches, etc. It's hard.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

What kind of ecig you try? most out there are garbage but if you tried a modern battery and low ohm atty I'd be shocked if you didn't find it satisfying. And depending on what you pay per pack it pays for itself in a month or two. 100 bucks can get you something like this new Subtank starter kit and a few juices and batteries that will have you choking from the clouds if you over do it. Then you slowly reduce the nic level of your juice until you're at 0 and the only thing your brain is craving will be the action of inhaling.

I smoked for 12 years at least pack/day. Not gonna lie, I still do from time to time but compared to where I was at it's nothing. Everyone is different so the real trick is finding the combo that works for you. Some guys have it to just stop and others don't, so if you don't have the will power for cold turkey you've got to find something.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Kindred

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post
    After a week How much were you smoking exactly cause you make it sound real simple

dfish
    Sea Pines
    dfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

Cold turkey is the ONLY way, embrace the suck (it will) ,stock up on gum , sunflower seeds etc.
    Lean on Mrs Ra77 for support & take it on as a personal challenge , you'll never regret quitting !
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave dfish 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    go to Cigars or weed

safer

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    What kind of ecig you try? most out there are garbage but if you tried a modern battery and low ohm atty I'd be shocked if you didn't find it satisfying. And depending on what you pay per pack it pays for itself in a month or two. 100 bucks can get you something like this new Subtank starter kit and a few juices and batteries that will have you choking from the clouds if you over do it. Then you slowly reduce the nic level of your juice until you're at 0 and the only thing your brain is craving will be the action of inhaling.

I smoked for 12 years at least pack/day. Not gonna lie, I still do from time to time but compared to where I was at it's nothing. Everyone is different so the real trick is finding the combo that works for you. Some guys have it to just stop and others don't, so if you don't have the will power for cold turkey you've got to find something.

oh wow

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

everytime you want to smoke a cig just listen to this

Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Big Bear 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

If you really want it, you just stop and that's it.
    Grandfather did it like that. Father and mother of my better half did it like that.
    That's the way I will do it one day when I want to.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave zizoudane10 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

my girlfriend just stopped cold turkey, been 2 months now
    couldnt be happier man. Shes 30 years old and been smoking since 15
    Proud of that woman . Good luck Razzer, try multiple things until something sticks
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Fidel_CashFlow 9 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

ecigs, best decision I ever made mostly for my wallet but I also breathe better and can taste things again

Forget the crap from marlboro or blue cig whatever. Try sites that sell ego batteries and kanger tanks, they work MUCH better and are a lot cheaper. I use liquid from a company called Vape Wild, just google them. Rocky Mountain vapes sells hardware cheapest but their website sucks. if you have a local vape shop I'd start there first, they can probably help you get setup easy, then once you find the setup you like you can shop around online to find the best prices and liquids.

That or just quit. The taxes on cigs are just silly, they might as well outlaw them at this point.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er, and Roadtrip635

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post

Kanger Subox Mini Starter Kit

$72 and they have a summer sale for 25% off making it $54 shipped. No idea how they turn a profit, maybe because they spent no money designing their sucky website

For just starting out though I'd recommend not using a subtank, but it's definitely worth trying especially if the regular kanger tanks aren't doing it for you.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

hey raller or anyone that has nicotine patches laying around. put one on before you go to sleep.

you'll get some crazy dreams, like you'll see people in your dreams you haven't seen in decades and your dreams are very vivid. try it...
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Ghenghis Kahn 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

how bad is smoking weed out of a glass bowl?

Ra77er

Guys I do appreciate all the comments, lots of good points...capone, money, fidel, gk

Sharp I bought the best I could find a few years ago, that one you posted is what I would've bought though, smoke is amazing on that thing.

The acid trip with the patch does sound fun GK but I think everyone is right I need to just stop smoking and get a win here.

I am quitting on Friday August 7th 2015. Sunflower seeds is the one, probably look like ace ventura in my living room but I have to do this.

The hardest times for me personally is in the morning, after meals, and after sex. I can probably do without 2 of them for a few weeks to kick this (meals and sex of course). 15 years of smoking

I'll update this thread starting Friday for anyone who wishes to do it with me or just follow along. I hope I do not end up murdering one of my cats or raging over a pizza gift card but I will do my best.

Gents
    Points Awarded:

Big Bear gave Ra77er 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Fidel_CashFlow gave Ra77er 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Fidel_CashFlow gave Ra77er 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Fidel_CashFlow gave Ra77er 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

gauchojake gave Ra77er 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: KVB, bradthebloke, and Fidel_CashFlow

capone1899

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Norris View Post
    Don't be a pussy is right! That's the attitude I took, I had to be pissed off about it. But not that hard? It may have been easy for you, but if it were easy, there wouldn't be books, hypnotherapists, patches, etc. It's hard.
    No, it wasn't that hard because I really wanted to quit. There are books ,patches, gum, etc because people don't really want to quit....what they want to do is continue to smoke. When you really, truly want to do something, doing it isn't that hard.

capone1899

Ra77er, you can do it. Manny people have. Just stick to it....and no matter what don't give up. Tell us about it if you're having troubles.

Yotone
    Yotone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 348

vape user.
    i think the real trick is to break the rituals of smoking.
    when you get the urge just try to divert your thoughts onto something different than smoking.

btw i use the aspire cf mod paired with a smok tank.

123 Last