gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Setting a date to quit and going cold turkey worked for me 10.5 years ago. I tried the weaning and social smoking thing and always went back to my old habits. I had to come to the realization that I could never have nicotine ever again in my life if I wanted to quit. That's a very difficult reality to accept for long time smokers (I smoked 2 packs a day from 18 - 30).

It's going to suck in the beginning, but when you stop hacking up black shit every morning and add 20+ years to your life expectancy, it will all be worth it. Good luck man.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave gauchojake 27 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

The only thing I haven't tried are fukking cigarettes

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    What kind of ecig you try? most out there are garbage but if you tried a modern battery and low ohm atty I'd be shocked if you didn't find it satisfying. And depending on what you pay per pack it pays for itself in a month or two. 100 bucks can get you something like this new Subtank starter kit and a few juices and batteries that will have you choking from the clouds if you over do it. Then you slowly reduce the nic level of your juice until you're at 0 and the only thing your brain is craving will be the action of inhaling.

I smoked for 12 years at least pack/day. Not gonna lie, I still do from time to time but compared to where I was at it's nothing. Everyone is different so the real trick is finding the combo that works for you. Some guys have it to just stop and others don't, so if you don't have the will power for cold turkey you've got to find something.
    I have that same setup.....Got some rainbow sherbet (yes ghey ) max VG in it right now......only use 3 miligrams of nicotine juice (lowest level)

I dipped in high school playing baseball, then smoked cigs in college but never got too crazy (Only like 2 packs a week).....I actually quit smoking using snus but now strictly vape nicotine and haven't felt better....A friend at work smoked a pack a day and quit using these vapes

Can play basketball for hours now after quitting for good
    Last edited by MoneyLineDawg; 08-05-15 at 06:07 PM.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Wife and I quit on nicoderm CQ patches. We tried the cheap ones, they don't work.

Made up our minds to follow the directions to a tee. 6 weeks on number 3, 6 weeks on number 2, the same on 1.

The night before we got rid of all cigs, ashtrays and started in the morning. She's been smoke free for 10 years.
    I fell off the wagon after 2 1/2. (peer pressure and drinking)

What helped me while on the patch was St Johns Wart. It took the edge off when the patch was wearing out.

Stay away from gums or lozenges, because you will become addicted to those. My Aunt quit using lozenges
    and was addicted to those. Those are more expensive than smokes.

Yeah, tried putting one on before bed (didn't read directions), won't do that again! Horrendous dreams in vivid color!
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave rkelly110 21 Betpoint(s) for this post.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    The only thing I haven't tried are fukking cigarettes
    So how does dick taste?

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

raller why on a friday? enjoy your last weekend of smoking and start monday. gl

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

I basically did what Kindred did, went the E-Cig route, I smoked about 20 years and around 2 packs a day. I talked to friends that vaped and went to a local vape shop and bought a starter set-up. I would stay away from the type that look like cigarettes and go with an E-Go battery and Kanger tank to start.

I tried a bunch of flavors but started with tobacco flavored juices at first and 18mg/ml nicotine. It helped giving me that familiar cigarette taste and feel. I started that in December and it's gone really well, think I've bought 5-6 packs of cigs since then, but don't have that same type urge I used to. I was honestly surprised how easy the switch from cigarettes to ecigs went.

I started with a setup similar to this one, inexpensive, compact and works well. Apart from getting a solid starter kit, it's very important to get a flavor/flavors you enjoy. I highly recommend starting with tobacco juices, go to a local vape shop and you can taste for free.

Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Roadtrip635 27 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

I thought there were a lot of question marks about the long term effects of vaping?

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

I quit when I was a teenager, had been a casual smoker every now and again but never adicted since. I love tobacco but I can deal with it. Best way to quit is drink lots of coffee.

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

I don't even know if they sell it any longer but I was able to quit 30 years ago with the help of Nicorette chewing gum and behavior modification. Took 30 days. Day one I smoked a pack, day two had nineteen cigs all the way down to smoking my last cig on day 20 supplementing with the gum. 10 more days of the gum and I haven't gone back. NOT that I haven't wanted to... 30 years later and I still miss that smoke after a big meal or the first smoke of the morning. But my mantra that keeps me on the straight and narrow is telling myself that "you are just one puff away from a pack a day". Truly a habit I hope I never ever return to (even though I enjoyed it way too much!).
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave chipper 17 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2370

just drop to 5 cigs a day. I used vaping to cut down from 10-12 daily to 3-4.
    Most of the serious health issues come from a pack+ a day, and even if you quit - you are still at risk from history....
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave cashin81 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2370

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    I thought there were a lot of question marks about the long term effects of vaping?
    from what i read, no health issues - or at least akin to caffiene ... It does dry out your throat, mouth so maybe infections??
    Last edited by cashin81; 08-06-15 at 08:20 AM.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

It took me many tries on the patch before I was able to quit. Make sure you can get some time off work so you have several days to just veg and relax at home. You need to de-stress and keep the people and environments that will tempt you and set your cravings off out of the picture until the pull of nicotine fades enough.
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave OTL 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Quote Originally Posted by OTL View Post
    It took me many tries on the patch before I was able to quit. Make sure you can get some time off work so you have several days to just veg and relax at home. You need to de-stress and keep the people and environments that will tempt you and set your cravings off out of the picture until the pull of nicotine fades enough.
    this is what I did

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    Most of those question marks are from studies funded by big tobacco. Legit studies have actually seen benefits compared to smoking and anyone who has gone the vape route will tell you the physical difference after a few weeks. Doubtful inhaling PG vapor is the safest thing in the world but its without a doubt safer than the 1000+ compounds in cig smoke. If PG is that dangerous we're all fk'd because its a main preservative in most foods eaten every day.

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20328

It was pretty easy for me. Dropped cigarettes and just burn more weed now.

DUBnation
    DUBnation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6413

I just quit a month ago, smoked for about 12 years. Cold turkey is the only way to go. E-cigs and patches, and even gum and sunflower seeds might help with cravings, but you're just replacing your cigarette addiction with something else and it will be very easy to "relapse" since the smoking habit is still there even without cigarettes. What you really need to do is break the habit completely. The first few days were tough, but after about a week I noticed the smell of cigarettes went from delicious to repulsive. Since then it's been relatively smooth sailing. I've tried to quit before but I always used vapes or something else to replace smoking, and I would never last longer than a few weeks. This time it feels completely different and I credit that to stopping cold turkey.

Good luck man!

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

what is better?

smoking out of water bong with carbon filter

or

The volcano ?

this glass bowl is making my throat hurt

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bear I have never tried the volcano but I want to. Edibles, topicals, vaping it is the new thing. I really want one of those concentrate vape pens. Anyway I have 7 cigarettes left....the countdown is real.

Arias
    Arias's Avatar Become A Pro!

am i the only one that tried to get addicted to smoking?
    (failed)
    no offence, i'm not here to get you mad, anyway i have my obssessions as well (bear, i would kill for it)

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't worked but both my parents smoked my whole life (over 30 years). Dad never really tried to stop - Mom would at least give it a shot for our (kids) benefit but would eventually always end up back smoking again. She tried everything - patches, gum, cold turkey, everything. My dad smoking probably didn't help while she was trying but she tried. She went to a hypnotherapist and a week later never smoked another cigarette (has been prob 4 years now). About 6 months later - maybe a year my dad said penetrate it and tried it to. Worked as well. Neither have smoked in 3-4 years now. I still almost don't believe it myself but it worked for them. They both said very very rarely they will get an urge but think the hypno person made it so disgusting to them they just don't want it. Take it for what its worth - my parents aren't hippy or anything but somehow this therapist did it for them and did it pretty quickly.

No idea the cost or anything more about it (can get more info via pm if you really are interested) but it worked and I am glad it did as they are both still reasonably healthy and able to play with their grandkids and all. I know all those years will certainly have already shortened their life span but knowing they will be around a while longer is awesome

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10576

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't worked but both my parents smoked my whole life (over 30 years). Dad never really tried to stop - Mom would at least give it a shot for our (kids) benefit but would eventually always end up back smoking again. She tried everything - patches, gum, cold turkey, everything. My dad smoking probably didn't help while she was trying but she tried. She went to a hypnotherapist and a week later never smoked another cigarette (has been prob 4 years now). About 6 months later - maybe a year my dad said penetrate it and tried it to. Worked as well. Neither have smoked in 3-4 years now. I still almost don't believe it myself but it worked for them. They both said very very rarely they will get an urge but think the hypno person made it so disgusting to them they just don't want it. Take it for what its worth - my parents aren't hippy or anything but somehow this therapist did it for them and did it pretty quickly.

No idea the cost or anything more about it (can get more info via pm if you really are interested) but it worked and I am glad it did as they are both still reasonably healthy and able to play with their grandkids and all. I know all those years will certainly have already shortened their life span but knowing they will be around a while longer is awesome
    Couple of years after I fell off the wagon, my buddy and I went to a group hypno session. What a joke and a waste
    of money. I don't know if it was because we both are strong willed or what, but it didn't work on either of us.

I guess 1/2 the battle is, you gotta wanna.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Quote Originally Posted by rkelly110 View Post
    Couple of years after I fell off the wagon, my buddy and I went to a group hypno session. What a joke and a waste
    of money. I don't know if it was because we both are strong willed or what, but it didn't work on either of us.

I guess 1/2 the battle is, you gotta wanna.
    Interesting - I know my parents did it with individual session and a tape I think they listened to - maybe while sleeping. My mom didn't surprise me (the fact she stayed off does) but I was most amazed at my dad. He started smoking in Vietnam war so he had been smoking since he was like 18 or so - he worked the ramp (loading bags, etc.) his whole career at an airport so always outside/always smoking - and I really don't think he cared whether he stopped or not - so that was why I was so amazed.

Sorry it didn't work for you for sure - but it did for them (luckily I never picked up the habit)
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave newguy 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Have a couple buddies that swear by the hypno route. They go back every 6 months to "refresh" though, so its a long term deal.

I'm too worried the therapist will be a freak and have me doing some AutoDonk type sht while unconscious to try it myself.

AimePor
    AimePor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 294

hypnosis -sounds extreme somehow.
    would give it a try, but as said above: individual session, no group therapy

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by DUBnation View Post
    I just quit a month ago, smoked for about 12 years. Cold turkey is the only way to go. E-cigs and patches, and even gum and sunflower seeds might help with cravings, but you're just replacing your cigarette addiction with something else and it will be very easy to "relapse" since the smoking habit is still there even without cigarettes. What you really need to do is break the habit completely. The first few days were tough, but after about a week I noticed the smell of cigarettes went from delicious to repulsive. Since then it's been relatively smooth sailing. I've tried to quit before but I always used vapes or something else to replace smoking, and I would never last longer than a few weeks. This time it feels completely different and I credit that to stopping cold turkey.

Good luck man!
    Long term success rate for people that quit smoking cold turkey is about 5%. I'm happy you're part of that 5% but for the other 95% of us, it's not that easy.

Knowledge is power, and the key to quitting.

If you're serious I would start with researching the "seven phases of quitting". It's important to know and understand where you're at so you can set a goal. Without a goal, you're just wandering around and much less likely to achieve your goal of quitting smoking.

Also, google search "anhedonia". Although cigs aren't usually associated too closely with it, they can be to a lesser degree, than say benzos or opiates. Which is why we all have cravings, because we derive more pleasure from smoking (or whatever our addiction is) at that time than just about anything else. It helps to understand this.

There are great TED videos that address quitting addictions.

Just search out the information, assess your actual readiness to quit (be honest), set a goal, have a plan and go for it.

Don't forget, relapse is part of it.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

"Crack is Whack!!!!"

after seeing whitney houston, all jittery and shit, yelling that phrase at Oprah -- or some other bitch t.v. mogul interviewing her -- I knew never to start.........

all the incentive you need is right here:

Last edited by Auto Donk; 08-09-15 at 12:29 PM.

Ra77er

Update for anyone lurking. I went 17 hours on Friday without a smoke. It was literally hell, I thought having things going on would distract me and be the perfect time to quit but it has been a nightmare. I need to clear my schedule completely before I can make a stronger 2nd attempt. I will be traveling at the airports and such and I have no clue how I avoid the glass rooms of cancer at the airports(if they even still have those). One day I want to point and laff at them but I can't right now. Next attempt is August 17th.

Triumph
    Triumph's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7708

Try some Copenhagen instead of lighting up.

hugh_jorgan
    hugh_jorgan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

My Mom died of lung cancer as a result of smoking cigs.
    It is not only a deadly habit, it is flat out nasty.

Whatever you do, don't quit trying to quit.
    Good luck, Ra77er.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

raller get that book i posted and quit after you've read that book. you have to have the right mindset and that book will assist you to the right direction. plus, you can still smoke while you read it.

what have you got to lose but few bucks if it doesn't work.

it worked for me with the help of nicorette and some patches but the book helped tremendously.

don't lose hope pal...

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    Try some Copenhagen instead of lighting up.
    That stuff is just as addictive as cigarettes. Plus your risk of mouth and throat cancer is just as high, if not higher than the smoking related cancers. People have lost their jaw as a result of chewing tobacco.

Good luck with quitting Ra77er. Every time you try it will get a little bit easier.

Can U Tank It
    Can U Tank It's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3332

Quote Originally Posted by DUBnation View Post

Good luck man!
    exactly! you really have to convince yourself that the long term return vastly outweighs the short term gratification. good luck and dont stop trying. you wont regret it for a second once you have made it there.

Ra77er

Gentlemen I have not abandoned this thread, I am proud to say I am on day 3 of completely tobacco free. Struggling a little after meals but otherwise I am winning. I quit cold turkey on the 25th.
    Points Awarded:

dfish gave Ra77er 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

First 123 Last